“One of the best”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Phoenix, Arizona
“One of the best”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I've been told I have impossibly high standards - for everything. But occassionally I'm surprised and someone or something comes along and exceeds my "impossibly high" expectations. I expected a lot of the St. Regis Princeville and they blew me away.

We had an ocean view suite and it was breath-taking. We were originally located adjacent to the pool but we asked to move for more privacy.

The rooms were spotless and very comfortable.
The staff was plentiful and extremely pleasant.
Best mai tais I've ever had were at the bar upstairs and the amazing view didn't hurt.
Kauai Grill was fantastic and had an entire vegetarian menu.
The spa was wonderful, as you'd expect.
When you head out in the morning (either with valet or walking to self-parking) the staff is there to give you ice-cold water and fresh towels for your adventures.
The conceirge was helpful in the weeks leading up to our trip, booking us on some great adventures in Kauai.
The St. Regis is pricey but well worth it.
My only criticism is for Makana Grill which needed a face lift (just felt old and dusty compared to the rest of the resort), and some price adjustments. It was drastically over-priced for the quality. However, given how fantastic the rest of the resort was it's not enough to reduce the ratings.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Susan O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ohio, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Wonderful place,excellent setting and very friendly accommodating staff from ck-in to ck-out! Has large open areas so families with small children,honeymooners and weddings etc can all feel welcome and accommodated. There is very little commercialization nearby, so this is not Myrtle Beach and very far from any WalMart!! Golf,horseback riding,biking,jogging and any beach activity are all readily available, and with a view of paradise! Kauai is more rustic than the other islands, but what a place to reconnect or "get away from it all".

Key West, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2012

From the moment you arrive, the friendly staff and smiles are instantly comforting. The view from the lobby brought me to tears. Makana restaurant is simply exquisite. I can't say enough about the perfect location. I mean, to see perfect surf, gorgeous lush green mountains, and humpback whales breaching from the deep blue Pacific right out your room's window... breathtaking!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 April 2012

If I were to rate this resort based on its amenities, services, rooms, and restaurants alone, it would be deserving of five stars. I loved the staff, particularly the butler services and the assistance of Drew in particular. My husband and I visited to celebrate our anniversay, and upon our arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite. We had the most perfect view, and I was quite sure that I had died and gone to heaven. The staff ensured that all of our desires for our trip was met. In particular, on the day of our anniversay, my husband arranged with the butler staff and chef at the Kauai Grill for a perfect private dinner on the beach. It was absolutely beautiful and perfect. This place is truly magical.

So why am I giving this four stars out of five? Well, for two reasons. The first reason is that although the pool is set in a perfectly paradisical location, I couldn't handle the gangs of teenage and preteen kids that seemed to take over every afternoon. I don't know, but it seems like some of the parents who brought their kids to this beautiful, luxury resort seem to think that gives the right to abscond from any parental supervisory duties at all. One afternoon, the kids all decided to pelt other people with a disintergrating nerf football. That kind of kills your relaxing buzz. I don't know what the hotel can do about unruly children, but some kind of "adult only" pool area would certainly be nice. Considering how calm and peaceful the property is, it would be a welcomed addition so that the kids could have their fun, and those of us who seek more quiet could have our fun too.

Secondly, our room was directly above the property's ballroom. The last night we were there, a rather noisy wedding reception was taking place downstairs. Again, I completely understand that this would be an ideal venue to host a perfect wedding and I would expect couples to be able to fully celebrate their big day. However, when you are returning to the East Coast the next day and have a full day of travel ahead of you, it would be nice to have the last night in paradise to have some amount of peace and quiet. The party rolled on past 11 pm, so I would advise you that if you plan on attending this property on a weekend when there is likely to be a wedding party of some kind, you request a room away from the ballroom. Even though they turned down the music after we called the front desk, we could still hear every song (and the DJ's mike volume remained the same). If you don't mind a little extra dance music or you are up past 11, then obviously, this won't detract at all from the beautiful setting and perfect rooms. For this East Coaster, though, 11 pm = 5 am, so we were not generally up late in Hawaii.

All in all, the resort is beautiful and luxurious. Sure, everything there costs more than it probably does at any place on the island, but the service and beauty are well worth it.

5 Thank ZanzibarAnnie
Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Our recent stay for our honeymoon was fantastic in every way. The food, service, design and overall vibe is top notch. The location can't be beat... Dramatic views and just minutes from charming Hanalei. The staff was among the friendliest I've ever encountered.

We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: The beach level rooms have great lanais!
1 Thank americaninparis050
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 April 2012

In a word, our stay at the St. Regis Princeville was remarkable. My wife and I are fortunate to stay at some really great hotels and resorts, but honestly our stay with you and your team was better than virtually any other we have had. A few highlights:

1. We had booked an oceanfront room and truly got one (seems easy, doesn’t it? What is advertised is not always delivered.)
2. The personal butler was very nice – coffee is important to us early in the morning.
3. We received a complimentary bottle of champagne in celebration of our 25th anniversary.
4. The food quality was excellent.
5. The bell and valet team was outstanding – Matt (think his name was) greeted us when we first arrived and offered to take our picture.
6. The pool and beach staff were friendly and attentive. Again, this seems simple but it does not always happen that way.

In the end, as a result of our stay we have added the St. Regis brand to our list of must-check vacation spots. And we will most definitely be staying at the St. Regis Princeville on our next trip to Kauai. I only wish that trip began today. 

2 Thank Greg D
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I had a great time. Everyone was so helpful and friendly, and the building was just amazing.

Just a FYI - the valet service is complimentary, but there is a daily parking fee that you may not hear about until you check out - remember to ask about it!

~Alex

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean! The valet service is complimentary, but there is a daily parking fee...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!