“Why Pay for Bad Service?”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
San Francisco, California
“Why Pay for Bad Service?”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

we dropped by the hotel on a quick trip to Kauai recently to check it out. We got there right at sunset, and it was nice to walk in and immediately catch the wonderful view from the deck. As it was quite crowded, we waited some time before we could order drinks, and as the sunset was fading quickly and we wanted to enjoy champagne for the event, time was of the essence. I made a quick dart to the bar in the lobby to order a round of champagne for my guests (just 3 glasses). Mike, the bartender, told me to go back and order them from the balcony. When I tried to explain I had been waiting, he wasn't particularly interested and continued to berate me about how the service works by having me go outside and order my drinks from the waitresses there. One of the waitresses at the bar overheard the conversation and could see I was having some difficulty with Mike, so she helped me select the right champagne, I ordered through her and went back out to the balcony to see the tail end of the sunset. I missed the whole show!! Had Mike invested his time into pouring my drinks instead of his unfriendly spiel this could have been avoided. We waited 15 more minutes after the sunset and the drinks still had not come, so we left. Bottom line, I would not want to spend that kind of money on their drinks if that's the service I'm going to receive. After sharing this story with a few others who live on the island, it seems the hotel has a reputation for bad service.

Room Tip: the islands have a hard time finding well-trained hotel staff, so even 5-star brand properties that...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank MauiCruzr
Hue O, Hue Oldham, Marketing Coordinator at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Aloha MauiCruzr,

I truly appreciate the feedback you have provided. We are disappointed that your experience was anything less than exceptional. We take all feedback seriously and have addressed our staff regarding your experience. I hope you will choose the St. Regis again in the future so we may demonstrate our unparalleled level of service and hospitality. Mahalo.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We're addicted!!! We just wrote a letter to the GM of this property and wanted to share some highlights here. It's mostly about the superb service and some special people there, so let us add some other perceptions that might give a glimpse of what the St. Regis Princeville has to offer:

First, the location is stunning, and the hotel actually does it justice (a rare experience). The property and the people exude the casual, warm Aloha Spirit, and at the same time, provide a level of service that will make you want to stay forever! It is beyond excellent. And the views.... Sitting in our room, or on the terrace, or at the bar, or pool, or beach... watching the waves and the surfers and the changing weather, from full sun to white fluffy clouds to short bursts of rain... Rainbows, sunsets, moonsets over the water! (Don't know how to upload pictures here, but the photos on the hotel website do *not* exaggerate!).

[Our notes to the GM] Aloha Mr. Sgarbi!

While writing this email, we were reminded of the note we wrote last December to you to share thoughts about how much we enjoyed the wonderful stay and the incredible staff to create what feels like our heart's "home away from home" on the Hanalei Bay. This past November, we again enjoyed 10 days at the St. Regis and had a truly great experience greeting and being greeted by the people we had become so fond of on our last visit. And some new folks, too!

We had the opportunity to spend a bit of time with Noel D'Couto (Director of Operations), and were quite frankly blown away by his presence, his warmth, and his ability to make us feel at home, even though he had just arrived the week before. His kindness and enthusiasm had already made a huge impact on the staff, and on us, obviously.

Your whole staff exudes a hospitable spirit of deep caring, one that matches the magical beauty of Kauai — not an easy feat!!! If you don't mind, we like to shine light on a few of your people who made our trip extra special.

Doug Kidman is, again, a clear stand out! I think it's been 3 trips since we first met him, and we could write forever about how special he is. One thing is that he has mastered the rare art of being completely attentive without being intrusive. Some of our favorite times of our trip were when Doug had a moment to chat. Those conversations were warm and engaging, joyful and helpful. And if we had even the slightest challenge with anything, he always had a perfect solution.

Kaleo is a great addition. His native charm and easy manner, and his blowing of the conch shell each night at sunset, creates an uplift where ever he appears

Other joyful, supportive folks, who who exude the Aloha spirit: Pricilla (in the breakfast cafe always with that warm smile no matter how early in the morning), Jenny (not sure her position, sorry!), Duane out front (with great local restaurant recommendations and big welcoming smile), Toppy (Phillip), a fellow we actually didn't have much detailed contact with, but he greeted us as we registered and always went out of his way to connect and inquire how we were doing. And there are so many others, but I don't have their names... lots in the Makana Terrace, which is superb any time of day: food, service, and the VIEW!!!!

We hope you are well and that we will see you again this year.

Mahalo,
Paige & Don Marrs

Don & Paige Marrs

Room Tip: I assume all the rooms are fabulous, so the only thing I'd say is that if you want a particular...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Paige M
Hue O, Hue Oldham, Marketing Coordinator at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Aloha Mr and Mrs Marrs: Mahalo for taking the time to share your experiences.
For a global traveler such as yourselves, it is an honor to have you both return and stay with us each year. It seems you have made St. Regis Princeville a tradition for your vacation each year. Our staff truly takes pride in providing service that is beyond expectation. Hearing feedback from guests such as you is one of the many reasons our staff members are so proud to be a part of The St. Regis. We look forward to welcoming you back.
China
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Staying here is a wonderful experience if you value the stunning view across Hanalei Bay, the charms of the North Shore and top service. The architecture of the hotel is not very special, although imho the pool is beautifully done, the lobby with its wall of glass showcasing the amazing view is impressive and the windows and window seats in the rooms are perfectly done to maximize your enjoyment of the view. Notice how often I said "view" already? If views are not your thing, this hotel may not be for you. If you like to look at natural beauty, you will be wowed. Then do yourself a favor and stay here. The beds are comfortable, furniture, fittings and bedding are of a high quality. We stayed in a premium ocean view room for 1 night, the layout of the room worked very well for us - table with 2 chairs, couch and window seat make a lovely sitting area to gaze at the, yes, the view! We did not miss having a lanai, as we were comfortable looking out from both the seating area and the bed (and yes, the bathroom when the switch was set to transparent. I thought the glass pane switching from opaque to transparent would be a strange gimmick, but I loved it.) This is not a room with classic proportions, the ceilings are not very high, no detailed plasterwork etc. But it is a lovely comfortable high end space from which to enjoy, in privacy and tranquility, one of the most beautiful nature panoramas. The service we experienced was top with the exception of slow and faulty service at breakfast on the Makana Terrace (food was at least delicious). I must make special mention of the bellman Erwin Haumea for taking such good care of our young tired excited child (after Kalalau trail + Kee Beach), housekeeping and the pool staff, trotting back and forth with fresh warm towels on a drizzly day. The sunset ceremony was fun and very nicely done, we watched the first half from the bar terrace and the 2nd half from our room. One advantage of having wide open windows and no lanai is the privacy that offers, very relaxing with the sound of the waves. Must be wonderful for honeymooners. We ordered room service for dinner, the service was more memorable than the meal, which was okay, we expected (and dare I say paid for) better. We preferred the meal we ate at the Hanalei Goumet the next night. Waking up to the sound of the waves and the changing light over the bay with the mountains and waterfalls was for us very special. And yes, here too one might hear roosters crowing. It is Kauai! If you stay at the St. Regis, of course you need to budget for your room plus valet parking if you have a car, expensive meals and tips, which we found were well deserved but not "expected". Check the hours of the Napali Cafe if you need something fom them. We found the North Shore beautiful and very natural. Poipu was a bit more developed and our impression of the Grand Hyatt, where we dined but did not stay, was excellent service in a hotel that was stunning more because of architecture and landscaping than pure natural beauty. Reviewers who stayed at both will know more. Kauai in April had "changy" weather (dc), a couple of times the passing shower took its time to move away and it was a bit cool for the beach, but the water was always warm enough to swim in and the weather was great for hiking and kayaking. We did have many sunny outings too!

Room Tip: Lying in bed in a premium ocean view room listening to the waves and watching the light change in th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jcc03_12
Aloha jcc03_12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The captivating views and uncompromising service make us a truly unique destination and we appreciate your acknowledgement. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Mahalo,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This place is all about location and service. Loved my stay here. It was absolutely 5 star from the very beginning when we were greeted, check in was smooth, and our bag were taken to our room. The coolest feature of my room was the on/off frosted glass shower, def. a first for me. As I was celebrating my anniversary here, we were upgraded to an ocean view room and given a bottle of champagne. Very classy. The beach, while not the best due to rocks and reefs, made up for it in the views and a 24h pool/jacuzzi. Wish I could have stayed here longer!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JHUkozmoe
Aloha JHUkozmoe,

Thank you for your review. St. Regis Princeville seems to have become the address for celebrations. We are honored that you had selected the resort to celebrate your anniversary. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest aloha,
oregon
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Wow is what you say upon entering the lobby of St Regis. And that's just the beginning of what my wife and I felt was the finest resort experience of our thirty two years of marriage. The resort staff are all so friendly and will accommodate all your needs with a genuine smile. If traveling without children, rooms on the fourth floor or higher are much quieter away from pool activities. My only recommendation to St Regis management would be to eliminate the rooster population from the resort property. The 3:30 am crowing was disturbing if the room window was left open to hear the ocean while sleeping.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bendquattro
Hue O, Guest Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Aloha Bendquattro

Thank you so much for your review and congratulations on the celebration of your anniversary. The celebration of one’s life milestones such as anniversaries and honeymoons seems to be the common thread that brings our guest to the resort. Our staff takes great pride in providing service that goes above and beyond our guest’s expectations. As we cannot actually act upon you recommendation regarding the rooster population, it will certainly be a topic of discussion at our next meeting.

We hope to have you back at the resort soon.
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This was our first time back since it became a St. Regis. The setting, looking over Hanalei is one of the best we have experienced. Every single employee we met could not do enough to make our stay both memorable and perfect. Service at the beach/pool was great. We are Starwood Gold members and we were upgraded to a beautiful suite with butler service. Food was very good at their Kauai Grilll and the view from there at Sunset time is breathtaking. Food at their Makana Terrace i can only recommend for breakfast. Dinner was so/so and all meals at the hotel are pricey. We had read many negative reviews when this hotel first opened and saw none of those problems of poor attitudes, etc. They have really gotten their act together and are a five star resort catering to guests' every whim.

Room Tip: Ask for premium ocean view if you want an unforgettable experience.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank welovetotravel0716
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Obviously this is a St Regis property so you expect everything to be perfect. I stayed for 3 nights with my wife and 2 year old and was not disappointed. The rooms are impeccable - splurge and at least get a Jr Suite. The views are incomparable. The staff is amazing. Butler service every morning with french pressed coffee is better than I do it at home. The semi-private beach is pristine. If I had to nit pick I would say that the only downside is that it is super far from the airport but I knew that in advance. I've stayed at other St Regis properties and this one is the best so far.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ssbmg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,709 reviews

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!