“Beautiful Views But...”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Beautiful Views But...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

The St. Regis is situated on an amazing piece of property with a world-class view but...The hotel is a bit cold and is spread out with the pool and beach a long walk from the main areas. The lobby is a wide-open expanse that has very little in terms on personal warmth or ambiance. that being said each individual that we encountered was very friendly as well as totally helpful. I must mention the wonderful concierge Mrs.. Nekomoto who almost single-handedly set-up our itinerary. She was a truly amazing concierge. We had a personal butler service that was exceedingly helpful. On the other hand - room service continually forgot ingredients for the salads listed on the menu - for example - the hearts of palm and artichoke filled salad rarely had either! I agree with several of the other reviewers saying that the bar and restaurants closed early and had very strange alternating days of availability. The spa was atrociously over-priced such that we employed a local healer and masseuse. Finally, this is the north of Kauai - little to do in Princeville although seeing the 40 foot waves roll in on a storm was fascinating. A mixed bag overall...

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view junior suite
2 Thank Charles R
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Aloha Charles R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while staying at our Resort. We apologize that your stay was anything less than exceptional and we take all of our reviews and feedback very serious. I have shared your review with our In room dining Manager as this is not typical of our standards and we will make sure this does not happen to future guests. I have also shared your feedback with our Management regarding the Resort. Our Resort was actually built into the mountainside and requires a bit more walking to get from the bottom to the top. We fill that they layout of our Resort does ultimately provide some of the best views of the North shore and allows you to feel like you are built into the landscape. We hope you will allow us another opportunity in the future to demonstrate our improvements.

With warmest aloha,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We've been traveling to Hawaii over 28 years. I believe that this location on Hanalei Bay affords the most picturesque setting of all islands. I may be biased, but I keep coming back. My husband has an Amex Platinum CC, and we booked the hotel though the card's travel office. By doing so, we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite and enjoyed daily breakfast as well as $100 credit to our account. You can also delay leaving until 4PM and check in early. These offers are only through the Platinum Card. Our room was deep with a beautiful spacious view of Hanalei Bay and the waters. We had a king bed, desk with pop up flat screen TV, a spacious and comfortable living area with L shape couch, and chair, and also another counsel with flat screen TV and sound system. The bathroom was spacious as well with another stunning view of the mountains and ocean. What I like best of this hotel is the stunning views of Hanalei Bay from their restaurants and lounge, pool and beach. At night everyone congregates in the large spacious lounge with outdoor balcony to watch the sunset and also enjoy evening live entertainment. I really enjoyed sitting on the beach under umbrellas on their comfortable lounge chairs to watch snorkelers and surfers. The pool is heated to 80 degrees and was great to dip in occasionally. You have all the amenities at the pool/beach area you could desire. Great cocktails, food choices, service, towels, snorkel rentals, etc. The staff is super friendly and service oriented. You could not go wrong staying at this hotel for honeymooners, or Hawaii lovers. We also golfed at the hotel's Makai Course and enjoyed a gorgeous course with many ocean holes (with whales breaching in view). Great time! Hanalei town is close by with many fun restaurants and shops to enjoy. The whole Na pali Coast is great to visit to kayak, hike, and find hidden beaches to snorkel, swim or surf at. We also stayed in Poipu before the Princeville area, and enjoyed it there as well. But Princeville is more scenic with the mountains and the ocean. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for Na Pali coast view to see the mountains and bay.
2 Thank Ryla_M
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

This hotel is located in an extremely nice, beautiful bay with a stunning view.
Nice interior. Extremely overpriced.
The breakfast buffet is marginal with bad service and very expensive.
The bar closes too early in the evening.
No warm atmosphere because of the extremely wide and huge lobby area…. like a hall.
Nice beach…. the environment is great.
Not good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank bernhardb15
Aloha Bernhardb15,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to your Resort. We appreciate your kind comments about our pool and environment. We apologize that your stay was not exceptional and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

If you are an international super star with the paparazzi following you and can offer the hotel some free press…then this is the place for you. They will welcome you with open arms and roll out the red carpet. This is the vibe from the top down. If you are just basic folks like me, then don't expect anything great. The service is what I would expect from a Sheraton, which I guess is not that surprising, given that this used to be a Sheraton. The property does not demonstrate any value for SPG guests and does not treat them with any additional service level, even if you are platinum. Definitely not by any means the level of service that I have received at other St. Regis resorts or any other of the competing brands. After having seen the other hotels on the island, I would suggest the Grand Hyatt over the St. Regis. Go to the St. Regis for a dinner, drink or even 1 night, but I would not suggest a stay longer than that.

I'm sure the St. Regis folks watching these posts will respond with some sort of canned I'm sorry note and say that the concerns have been passed to management. Rest assured that I have already provided a detailed commentary to management and got no response.

Pros:
Beautiful views. Perhaps some of the most amazing views and scenery I have seen anywhere in the world. Definitely get a room with a view or don't bother.
Privacy - If you are looking for isolation and privacy this is the place for you
Spa - Amazing spa…one of the best on the island
Family activities - The resort has family events each night which were great…making smores…star gazing….etc.
Beach --- One of the nicest beaches on the island. You can walk for long distances and it is a calm area of water.

Cons (and there are a lot of them):
Rooms - Rooms are dated. They were modern perhaps 10 years ago. They are in need of an update. Bathrooms and carpet showed some wear and need some love.
Service - Service was great if you were willing to shell out 20 bucks to every person you came into contact with. This is truly a resort where you get what you pay for.
Pool - The pool is basic but nice…They focus on the views. Pool chairs are not 5 star chairs. No cushions. Not bad, but not super comfortable and not what you would expect from a St. Regis. Pool attendants will tell you that they won't reserve chairs or will take away seats if you are not sitting there for 30 minutes or more…but if you tip them 50 bucks or more, they will reserve seats for your full stay. If you are not down by 9:30am, don't expect to get a seat if the hotel is full.
Management - The management of this resort is needs some training in customer service. They don't seem to be trained on the Starwood values or perhaps they are and just ignore them. Don't expect to get any help from them when raising a concern. You will be met with people who give you a canned line and then followed by "I'm sorry". If you are lucky they will send you a cookie in your room.
SPG Status - Don't expect this hotel to respect any of the SPG status benefits (I am platinum). No welcome amenity was provided. No upgrades were to be had, No late checkouts were given, etc.
Food -- Food is massively expensive. Lunch for 2 at the pool bar with only water and "burger" type food is 50-75. For Dinners plan on at least 100 per person if you are going to have a drink and appetizer. If the food was amazing that would be one thing, but the food is only basic. Breakfast was the best part of the day. There are not a ton of options for food at the hotel. Best bet is to get a car and drive to other restaurants. Roy's Tavern is close by and Amazing!

Overall, I would go back for a day visit to see the views and beach, but I would not spend the money on this hotel again. Management really needs to work out the issues with service and / or get a new management team who is focused on providing some decent customer service to all guests, not just those that they consider extra special because they are famous.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank SassyTraveler999
St Regis Prince... M, Director of Operations at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Aloha SparkyD,

Thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate for taking the time to express your feelings about the St. Regis Princeville and our staff.

Your opinion is very important to us. I personally strive to lead high performing teams and use all the feedback I receive to improve my management style. Please be assured that guest service and satisfaction has always been our top priority. If during your visit, our service did not meet your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies for that. I would like to better understand your concerns and would be happy to talk with you personally about your guest experience. I can be reached through the following email address alberto.pirozzini@stregis.com

Thanks to the feedback of our valuable guests like you, The St. Regis Princeville obtained the Highest Overall Guest Satisfaction for the past two years among all the St. Regis Hotels in North America. I am very fortunate to have an exceptional management team and I welcome your detailed comments to act on them immediately. We truly value our loyal SPG Platinum Members and I have informed the Front Office staff on how we accommodate our SPG Members as this is not typical of our St. Regis standards.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all our guests who took the time to write their reviews about our property and our service. Many reviews that we receive are inspirational and make all of us here at The St. Regis Princeville very proud. We do your utmost to create indelible memories and we are honored to take part in so many happy Celebrations. Equally, we also appreciate all the reviews and comments we receive that help us to improve. Mahalo Nui Loa!!

I am looking forward to receiving your comments and hopefully we will be able to welcome you and your family back again to our Resort in near future.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a beautiful property. Our stay started with hospital staff taking our bags and parking our car. The lobby is gorgeous and you are in awe as soon as you enter. We were early, but they let us use their facilities until our room was ready. They gave us a complimentary upgrade, and we had a beautiful view of Hanalei Bay and the Napali Coast. The bathroom was wonderful and the bed was really comfy. We sprung for the brunch and it was delicious. Get the sunday brunch so you can enjoy the wonderful variety of foods. We made our way to the beach where we had our chairs arranged for us, and our drinks brought to us. We went for a swim and had the delightful chance to see a group of sea turtles. What a wonderful stay, and we will always remember it. Definitely worth the money. Tell them that you are not interested in time shares though, this was a bit annoying.. They should just let you be.

Room Tip: Ask a room on floor 400 with ocean view. You are right in the middle of the hotel. You can take the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharlesL80
Kauai, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

For $650 you can stay in upper east side manhattan, sure, with no ocean view. Or in Miami at a boutique hotel on new years and eat at Avalon "beach side" and pay $400 for a dinner, I've done that. So that being said… with the average price of St. Regis being around $650 plus the additional $100 in taxes and fees us Americans pay so lets say 750 dollars a night, St. Regis is worth it.
The beds were no better than a Sheraton Hotel, and I might even go as far to say as I hated the pillow options which were A) Extra Large or B)Extra Large however you can call down for a "foam pillow" which is just C) Large.
Oh and the staff, honestly I loved them all but don't count on them being quick, sharp, witty funny people, they are s.ll..oooo…wwwww… well you'll understand.
I was staying here on January 5th-8th 2014 as a "let me get reconnected with American time" when flying in from Australia to Atlanta, which I live in Atlanta and who wouldn't want a few days in Princeville.
Where was I? Alright write this down, if you want a drink after 10:30pm GOOD LUCK sister, not happening.. unless you want a liter for like a billion dollars and can drink a liter to yourself and feel good about spending a billion dollars.
Pool, Awesome! I mean it's ocean front so I never got in the pool but I glanced at it when skipping to the ocean. Speaking of the Ocean, Honestly YOU Will Never have a better ocean view, You just won't, ever. There is like 6 swells at one time all channeling in. The waves range from 3ft - 20 ft high, you can watch surfers all day long from young to old hot men riding the waves like young professionals making all of us people that don't live her year round feel really REALLY out a shape. for me just walking the whole beach was enough of a workout.
My F.A.V.O.R.I.T.E section/ part/ time of my whole trip was at 10 pm when my boyfriend asked if I wanted to walk to the beach and since it was dark I said no but reluctantly I gave in. Oh whoa, The stars and the two palm trees when you get down to the beach are literally and unforgettable moment, we watched a shooting star together, yes together!
Don't waste your time at the shitting spa area, I have been to and seen way better at cheaper hotels … errr and there was no jacuzzi and the cleaning staff was no where to be found which is not a good sign. Oh. Ps Do yourself a favor and don't eat at the typical breakfast spot for 35648 dollars.
Grab a latte from the coffee shop (6am-3pm) with a ham & cheese croissant and then head into town to CJ's steak and seafood, it was the best of all the restaurants we tried.
Oh right, Don't open your screen, they are there for a reason right?! We let in tons of bugs when we went on a bike ride :( my fault!
Queens Bath was kinda boring if you ask me, we went because we had wheels(rented a car from avis for 120$) but Queens Bath was so close to the ocean with huge crashing waves the entire time, my boyfriends stomach was inside out thinking I was going to wash away with the waves. Btw yes ppl from St. regis HAVE drowned at queens bath. YIKES!
p.s.s ask for 1104, the view is Brilliant.

Room Tip: The presidential suite is on the 11th floor and I stayed in 1104 which was amazing! however 1118 was...
2 Thank Kelsey H
Aloha Kelsey H,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our Resort. We apologize that your stay was anything less than exceptional and we appreciate your feedback. I have shared your comments with our staff and we apologize that they service you received was slow and that you were not able to visit our dining options after 10:00pm. We take all of our reviews very serious and we will be working with our Management team to improve on our customer service and reliability. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known.

Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

What a first class operation. From booking to post-visit, had exceptional service and attention. Great snorkelling at the beach. Ocean view from room was lovely. We only stayed one night - expensive but worth the splurge.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Aloha Calgaryboyandgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our Resort. We appreciate hearing feedback from our guests and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known.

With warmest aloha,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,698 reviews

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!