“If you don't mind limited sunshine, good option for kauai”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Ellicott City, Maryland
“If you don't mind limited sunshine, good option for kauai”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Just finished a stay at the St. Regis. This was my first time staying at a St. Regis. The view from the rooms were one of the best I have ever seen. However the north side of Kauai experiences lots of rain. If you are looking for sunshine, head to Poipu Beach. Staff was very accommodating but hotel lacked the amenities and special touches of a Ritz or Four Seasons. Try Common Ground and Wakeup Cafe for breakfast. Both great options and take the hike after eating at Common Ground. The zipline course right down the road from the hotel is one of the best. And no matter what you do, the beauty of Kauai will make this an amazing trip.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Cindy A
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Aloha CindyA,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our Resort. We are pleased to hear your enjoyed your visit to Kauai and that you were able to explore the whole island during your stay. Our uncompromising views at the Resort make our location one of the best and we hope you will return to visit us again soon.

With warmest aloha,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
TORONTO
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I am a 64 year old man who has travelled extensively during the past 40 years. I have figure that during that period of time I have slept over 2500 away from home. The Westin, the Sheraton and other Starwood properties were my destination of choice. I have had some great magement, employee, customer experiences throughout the years. During the past 15 years attitudes have changed. Hotel guest are now referred to as "inventory." I am not a piece of merchandise on a shelf waiting to be shipped. I am a human being.
Lately, I made reservations at the St. Regis in Princeville in Kauai as well as the Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu, both are Starwood Properties. My American Express statement arrived at the office this morning and my office manager pointed out that I was charged almost the full amount of my stay even though I do not check in until next week. Is this the policy of Starwwod or all hotels from now on??? It is hard to believe that with my history with Starwood that they would do this.The St. Regis sent me an email persuant to wearing appropriate attire when in the hotel. I am not a child and do not have to be reminded.
Seven years ago, I purchased a Starwwod time share in Kauai prior to the property being built. Stupid me. The propery turned out to be a Westin Hotel. The beautiful ocean view villas as described by the salesman turned out looking like army barracks. Ony several of them faced the ocean. During the past several years I attempted to book my time share in Princeville and was always told that it was not available. My vacation time is flexible and it was not as if I was strict about my booking times. I finally became fed up and list my timeshare for resale. It was sold. I discovered that Satrwood had the first right of refusal. It was back to Starwood for about 20% of the purchase price. BEWARE OF STARWOODS !!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank glassmanTORONTO
Aloha Glassmantoronto,

Mahalo for your many years of loyalty to Starwood and for taking the time to reach out. It is important for us to hear from our valued repeat guests, and we are delighted to hear that you will be joining us in the islands. We are sorry that you decided to conclude your vacation ownership, however, we are committed to making your upcoming stay a most memorable visit. Please connect with us so that we may anticipate your stay and answer any questions you may have regarding our resorts or deposit policies. We look forward to welcoming you soon and we hope your stay at the St. Regis Princeville Resort was exceptional.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Customer service is lacking. Bell boys, drive way attendants, guest service agents and pool attendants were all lacking that special something, that makes a St Regis special. I found the attendants 'pushing' for a tip, and when none was offered, they would scoot off in a hurry. Not to mention the amount they charge for simple 'water sports'. Check in was fine, however checking out I found the agent was a little rude, as I approached the counter she continued to ignore me, then looked up as if I shouldn't be there. The rooms and house keeping staff are amazing! Truly great service on that front. The food wasn't as good as I had anticipated. It truly is a shame, considering this brand is the 'flag ship' for this company. If travelling to Hawaii and wanting that extra special service that sets starwood properties above the rest of the world, I recommend The Royal Hawaiian. Overall rating I want to score this property is 'poor', however house keeping gave this property a bonus mark, making final judgement as 'average'.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Carnezz
Aloha Carnezz,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your recent stay at our Resort. We are pleased to hear that our Rooms and House keeping staff were exceptional and we apologize that the rest of your stay was not exceptional. I have shared your feedback with our Management staff in hopes that we may improve and be able to provide the utmost bespoke service possible in all areas of our Resort. We take all comments very serious and we appreciate your time. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our genuine hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I had opportunity to stay four nights at this beautiful resort. Room was amazing as were the views. Staff was wonderful. Food was excellent. This is a beautiful location. The property has a beautiful beach. Verandah outdoor dining available. Dinner show was fabulous. Concierge hooked us up with great helicopter tour.
Cannot wait to go back with entire family.

Room Tip: Ask for view. It is worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cruiselover1963
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We just came back from a stay here and it was incredible. The rooms are spacious and clean and beautifully decorated and the beds are very comfortable. The service is very personalized. Everyone there goes out of their way to make your stay relaxing and one you will never forget. One of the pool attendants Kaipo was especially helpful, suggesting local places to see and eat at. We went to a few places and they were all top notch.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer2279
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Aloha Jennifer2279,

Mahalo for taking the time to write review about your recent stay at our Resort. We are pleased to hear your enjoyed your stay and that our Staff was able to assist you during your stay. We will make sure that Kaipo receives the acknowledgement he deserves. Our staff truly enjoys hearing from our guests, these types of reviews are what make our staff so proud to work for the St. Regis brand. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come.

United States
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel was excellent. I read all the reviews before we went and the renovation was excellent.
No complaints for a beach resort. The views are incredible and the snorkeling at the beach with kids was fun. Even though the reef looks dead, we saw lots of fish and had a close encounter with a sea turtle two days in a row. The room was clean and the breakfast buffet included in our room was excellent. You end up eating all your lunches at the pool restaurant and that is ok for the first few days but menu gets old quick. We found that the dinner was overpriced but you are at the remote end of the island at a St. Regis, what do you expect. However, we found great dinner options outside of the hotel and the best was the Hanalei Dolphin. The Mediterranean Gourmet was also good for dinner and the Tavern for lunch was nice change close by.

For family activities outside the hotel, we did the ZipLine, Helicopter ride and went and shot sporting clays. The best treat was trying the lunch trucks on the side of the road. Our favorite was the Green Pig and a close second was Chicken in a Barrel BBQ. We ate our way around the island and have no complaints. We have been to Maui and Lanai and I think that we would come back to Kauai again first. It does rain for a short time each day but that is not a problem and the constant temp range between 65 & 75 is awesome. Never to hot or to cold.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank workingjapan
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Aloha WorkingJapan,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review about your trip around our Island and your visit to our Resort. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Overlooking the Hanalei Bay, in the North shore of Kauai, nothing has been overlooked. One of the best 10-day vacation ever. Not even the almost constant rain interfered.
The rooms are luxurious, bathrooms with no more space for marble and granite, and the cool window that gives you privacy at the flip of a switch.
Cool restaurants, but don't let your table unattended during breakfast at the amazing terrace, unless you are a bird lover!
The multiple, long hallways are confusing in the beginning, but once you get used to them, nothing matters.
Gyms (plural) are perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wade C
Aloha LuisC,

Thank you for sharing your recent Hawaiian getaway experience with us. What better place to spend 10 days of vacation than on the North Shore of Kauai. Mother nature truly took her time when creating our amazing mountain range and Hanalei Bay. We are pleased to hear your stay was exceptional and it would be our pleasure welcome you back for many years to come.

With warmest aloha,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!