“Better than I expected, and now I am hooked.”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Raleigh
“Better than I expected, and now I am hooked.”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I halfway wanted the St. Regis to be a disappointment so I would never have to return, but it was amazing. The service was stellar and contrary to some of the reviews I never felt like I was being nickeled and dimed to death. Sure, you do hand out tips on a regular basis, but it is not as though you were getting crappy service in return. That is business as usual for a high-end hotel. The location is gorgeous. Our room was fantastic. We were on the 9th floor, which is on the same level as the lobby. Our view was unobstructed awesomeness! Hanalei Bay does not look real. A flock of Nene geese hung out everday just below our window. We had a package that included breakfast, which I always take advantage of in Hawaii. If you don't want a full breakfast there is a coffee shop that serves pastries and such also. I definitely recommend the champagne sabering ceremony at sunset. It was fun and who doesn't like champagne?

There is a guy named Trevor who has a red outrigger sailing vessel anchored just down the beach from the hotel. He does not work for St. Regis, but I have to extend a recommendation for him, too. He took us and several other people just off shore to snorkel with sea turtles one morning. $100/person and worth it. The beach at St. Regis is smallish, but very good for snorkeling.

I would go on, but it would mostly be gushing in a similar vein. I'm totally hooked on this hotel and location and will be happy to return and stay longer next time.

Room Tip: The higher the better because of the view.
2 Thank yellowstoner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the St. Regis Kauai (we normally stay at a Four Seasons resort when were are in Hawaii). Being a Starwood platinum member, we also stay at other St. Regis properties. This property is nice, but you can totally tell it was formally another property. Additionally, it didn't have the number of pool options that we are accustomed to when we stay at luxury resorts. Beautiful setting near the mountains, but not necessarily what we prefer. Probably won't return.

Room Tip: Choose a room location closer to the beach (on a lower floor).
3 Thank Stefsims
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Aloha Stefsims,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience about your recent visit to our Resort. We apologize that your stay was anything less than exceptional and if there is anything we can do to change your mind about visiting us again please don't hesitate to contact us directly. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My fiance, mother, and I went there for a quick Memorial Day weekend vacation. My jaw dropped when I stepped out onto the topmost balcony near the elevators. It was truly, truly a stunning sight to behold. I had never been to Kauai, and it really is worth it to see views like that. I never got sick of that sight.

The Beach/Pool:

First of all, while the pool area is lovely (and most press about the hotel mentions it), I never went in the pool or sat on lounge chairs near it. I'm all about the beach. This one is really lovely and pretty - although quite small, and the sand is very coarse. I love to swim, and there were lots of people snorkeling out on the reef. A word of advice: there is almost all coral directly in front of you when you go to the beach, making it hard to wade out. However, simply walk about 20-30 feet to the left (if facing the beach) in front of the trees that come almost to the water. There is a sand channel there that will allow you to wade out or swim out to snorkel farther out. The water while were there was very flat. The color of the water is not that aquamarine blue you see in Kona or Maui...this is (I'm told) because the rain runs sediment into the water, and the river nearby river does this as well. Not a big deal, but the water isn't blue blue to those who care about that when they conjure images of a tropical paradise in their minds.

The service at the beach was top notch. They came around often to check on you and see if you wanted anything to eat or drink. I found the staff to be knowledgable about the surrounding area as well, and it was nice speaking to them about the island.

The highlight of our trip was our kayak experience...we kayaked from the hotel to the adjacent river, and paddled pretty far up the river. It was incredible. Really, really special. I highly recommend it.

The rooms are so cozy and gorgeous. The shower in the huge soaker tub is great. I liked that the floors were carpeted...it made the room feel warmer, which was nice when it was rainy outside (often).

The spa was nice and pleasant. Nothing to critique really. It would be great if there were outside treatment rooms, but given the weather I'm sure it's really not possible.

Food and drink here is really expensive...it does add up. However, the bar area is so pleasant (and so is the breakfast area), that you almost don't care. We ate 2/3 dinners at the bar, and wished we had just stayed there all three nights. The view is beautiful, it's a fun ambience, and the food is delicious. The prices of food though are something to just be aware of before you come.

That brings me to my final point: the weather. This is not a dry part of the state, please be advised. This really has nothing to do with the hotel, and we were able to swim every single day no matter what and enjoy ourselves. However, we didn't see the sun all weekend until our last morning on Monday. It is beautiful no matter the weather, but it was a teeny bit disappointing, although I knew Kauai was a rainier island. When it rained, everyone just carried on instead of running inside...that's how normal it is there. I would not mind returning to this hotel, but I think I'd have to combine it with another island to try to guarantee a little sun.

Overall, this is a beautiful hotel with great service. The views are stunning (think soaring cliffs, waterfalls after rain, and lots and lots of green), and it is worth seeing at least once in your life. I'm very glad I went. We had a great time.

Room Tip: It's expensive, but try to spring for an Ocean Front room, if possible. It also felt really conv...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Honeymooner1232014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived, till the moment we left service was top notch.

Service:
Fantastic from the valet, bell service, front desk, restaurants, etc. The one small gripe I have would be the pool bar....very slow.

Location:
The St. Regis is on the north side of Kauai close to Hanalei, the Napali trails, etc. This is the "King Kong" side of the island, and a trip to Kauai wouldn't be complete without it. That being said, be prepared - this is the rainy side of the island. We received minimal sun, but it didn't spoil our time because it is such a beautiful, lush part of the island unlike the south shore. We are sun worshippers and didn't regret spending half of our stay on Kauai at this resort.

Restaurants:
Good, but $$.

Beach:
Probably the worst part of the hotel was the beach. Due to rocks/coral was only able to swim in the pool. Hanalei is a short drive away, but even in Mid-May was unsafe for swimming. I'd suggest a split stay between the North and South shore.

Extras:
Because it was our anniversary the hotel upgraded us to a room overlooking the ocean. Such an awesome surprise, and much appreciated!

Thanks St. Regis - we'll be back!!

2 Thank twilight43
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Aloha Twilight43,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your recent stay at our Resort. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope your Anniversary stay was a memorable one. It would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come.

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Perhaps I should say "their idea" of Afternoon Tea. The setting for this hotel is beautiful and the grounds are very nice, but we were disappointed when we booked a seating for Tea. Granted, this was Hawaii and not the English countryside, but if a hotel like the St Regis cannot offer impeccable service at the price of $39/person, then they should not offer Afternoon Tea altogether. We were encouraged to select any seat in the bar, which only had low coffee tables, along with techno music in the background. Service was spotty, and our waiter did not know what he was serving us when we asked for a description of the various sweets and savories. While the food was tasty, it came in the company of cardboard boxes right from the start, as we were told there would be a lot of food and we could box up what was not needed. Perhaps with some coaching from properties more experienced in the art of serving Tea this hotel could pull it off, but I doubt we will be back.

4 Thank Mountaineer67
Aloha Mountaineer67,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review about your recent service during Afternoon Tea. We apologize that your experience was anything less than exceptional. I have shared your review with our Director of Food and Beverages so that our staff can be addressed and we can improve for future visitors. Your feedback is very much appreciate and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known.

Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with genuine hospitality. Mark helped us load our bags unto a cart and escorted us to the front desk to introduce us to Erin. Mark wished us a wonderful experience. Erin welcomed us in. She kindly set us up. I have to thank Sheena, Erin, and housekeeping for helping us get into our rooms an hour and a half earlier than check-in. They helped accommodate our request since it was our wedding day. Sheena, especially, helped me with all the phone calls she patiently took. Thank you! It meant a lot!

Our stay was everything that you would hope for- relaxing, exquisite, and hospitable. Noah, our server at the beach, was amazing. His attitude and joyfulness was contagious! He made us laugh and helped us truly relax. I want to go back to your beach for the view, the water, and Noah's wonderful personality. Thank you, Noah, for being you! We hope to see you next time we visit.

I, also, have to talk about our wedding experience. This is where I have to talk about Leon Pellicer. He was our biggest blessing on our wedding day. He helped set us up in the private room at the Kauai Grill. He was so happy to set us up and to grant us a wonderful place in his restaurant to celebrate our wedding union with our family. In addition, Mr. Pellicer helped us with other little wedding ideas, which is totally outside his expectations! Mr. Pellicer, you will forever be in our hearts for the special acts of genuine hospitality you gifted us with and for contributing to one of the most special days of our lives.
We had a perfect day.

Our dinner at the Kauai Grill was the best dinner we have ever had! Thank you, again, Mr. Pellicer for overseeing our experience. Thank you, Texas Billy Zetes and your support team for the professional, courteous, and timely service. Thank you, Chef Maxime Michaud for all the delicious and exceptionally flavorful dishes. We really appreciated the amuse bouche you sent out (that definitely woke up our palates! yum!) and for the tableside visit. What an honor! We love the group photo we got!

From start to finish, your establishment has wowed us. On our way out, Virgilio Ballesteros, helped us with all our bags. He organized everything into two different cars for us, exactly as we had requested. We had a chance to hang out and talk to him while waiting for the other half to meet us. What a nice person to wait with us!

Lastly, I want to give a shout out to the rest of the St. Regis Princeville Resort team. Thank you for the bottle of Champagne on our wedding night, the congratulation cards, and for the 5 STAR EXPERIENCE.

From our hearts...we'll see you again for an anniversary,

The Badgers

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Aloha Wannessa831 (the Badgers),

Mahalo for taking the time to write such a wonderful and thoughtful review about your recent Hawaiian getaway. Being able to create memories of a lifetime is truly one of our top priorities and we are pleased to hear you were able to spend your time with us during our recent wedding celebration. I have shared your review with our staff, hearing feedback such as yours is one of the many reasons our staff goes above and beyond. We appreciate your acknowledgement and it would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back for many Anniversaries!

McAllen, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a 5 star the location is a little far from the airport but the view is beautiful, you get to see beach with the mountain background, on a sunny day you can even see tha waterfall far away. The rooms are very nice with very comfortable beds. Many amenities in the bathroom. The breakfast area has a spectacular view. The pool are is beatuful with great service. The beach is ok for my taste the water is too cold and many reefs, it look great for snorkeling but I didn't get in the water. Some tour recommendation will be the helicopter ride and the zip line. Be aware that on this part of the island it rains a lot. I will advice that this hotel and everything in this island is very expensive.

• Stayed April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!