St. Regis Princeville Resort
US$450
US$380
US$388
US$221
Plantation Hale Suites(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
US$283
US$262
Kauai Shores Hotel(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
US$282
US$262
US$315
US$296
US$339
US$314
  • Beachfront
2,992 results
All reviewskauai grillbutler servicemakana terracepacific dream photographyfour seasonsjunior suitepool beachour honeymoongreen marblechampagne saberinglobby barturn down servicean ocean view roomgrand hyatthotel is beautifulsushiamazing location
Reviewed 16 June 2014

First off, let me say that the location is absolutely stunning and the sunsets and sunrises are spectacular! The main entrance is impressive, granting views of both the bay and the mountains across from it. My girlfriend and I spent a couple of nights in May, 2014, when we visited the island for three days.

The reasons for my "average" rating:

#1. Upon arrival, they set me up in a handicap-accessible room whose shower head did not move higher than my lower chest (I'm 6'2"). The room number was in the 900's, located to the left of the reception, if looking at the bay. I understand the law requires such rooms, but believe that 1) they should be just as comfortable for non-handicapped persons, and 2) that the hotel staff should have informed me Before walking me there.

I called following my less-than-average shower experience requesting another room, for the following day; I was just too tired from flying and driving to change rooms at 9-10pm, after having opened my suitcases.

#2. The following day, when moving into a much better room, down in the 3rd level, the porter took about one hour to transfer the suitcases, which meant, one less hour at pool (or anywhere other than the room). In a run of the mill hotel, this can kind of be expected, but it shouldn't happen in a place like the St. Regis. Note, some of these hotels prefer that guests not crowd the hallways and elevators with luggage and so request that they handle the job.

#3. Horrendous Service During Breakfast! The service was slow and servers inattentive. The hostess was great, and views from the balcony paradisiacal, but that's where it stopped. My server, Brian (?) brought my food about 15 minutes following my coffee, and neither him, nor the two (local) waitresses noticed attempting to call them with my hand, in an attempt to order a juice to have with my food, since there was no more coffee when the food arrived. The same two waitresses spent quite a few minutes socializing with an older couple sitting at one of the tables, obviously repeat customers who inquired about other employees by name. In the end, I had to interrupt a local waitress (in a different colored apron; possibly the person in charge) as she talked to a couple of guests because Brian was no where to be seen, and had forgotten to include a pen with the bill!

#4. 45-miute wait for the luggage to be taken up front after check-out! Keep in mind it's one of those places where they must park and pull up your car, so you must wait while they do it. The car was quickly pulled in front of the building, but no suitcases to be found. Again, absurd! This isn't the Best Western!!! If it's high season and you're running low on staff, then hire more people, even if you have to do so from the mainland!

I suggest people go there for the views, sunset, and possibly drinks, but consider staying somewhere else, because at least for me, this was the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT in accommodation during my three island visit!

I hope this proves helpful to someone.

Cheers

Room Tip: Unless you need it, ask for a room that's not handicap-accessible, and preferably one that faces the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CuriousSearcher
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Aloha CuriousSearcher,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your recent stay at our Resort. We apologize that your stay was anything less than exceptional. We take all guest comments very serious and I have shared your review with our Director of Operations and our Director of Food and Beverage. Rest assure we have shared this information with our staff so that we may improve and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality and improvement. If you would like to discuss in more detail with us please contact our Director of Operations, Mr. Alberto Pirozzini at alberto.pirozzini@stregis.com. Being able to reassure our guests that changes are constantly being made is one of biggest priorities.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is my 2nd review of this place. The first one was 2 years ago. We went back last year, too, and it was just as incredible, and then we went back a few months ago. This time, it just seemed not-nice to give this place and these people the kudos they deserve, again! After all, ongoing, reliable excellence is something to happy-dance about!

Below is a copy of the letter we wrote to the GM, Milton Sgarbi. We figure outstanding service deserves acknowledgement to the top guy.

BTW, the pics on the St. Regis Princeville website do NOT exaggerate the beauty of that location and views. If anything, they underestimate it.

---
Dear Mr. Sgarbi,

We had a such a great time at the St. Regis again this year, so we wanted to let you know how happy we are with our stay. Of course the view is amazing (often just stare at it!), and our room (monarch suite) was beautiful, comfortable, and elegantly-appointment, but for us, it is the interactions with the staff that made our stay qualify as heavenly!

First, of course, is Patrick Schanze. He is amazing in his attention to personal details and our preferences, both the kind that are easy to remember (eg: our favorite rooms), but also the more illusive ones, like the kinds of chocolate we prefer (yes, very dark!). Plus he has that engaging smile and easy way of being fully present and genuine with us, and from what we could see, with everyone.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time together with Alberto, the new director of operations. It was good to meet the man who sent over some scrumptious chocolates after a slight glitch when the room's iPod doc, which, by the way was fixed within minutes of our call!

The entire butler staff was a major stand out. Wayne greeted us and made sure we were comfortable with the room when we checked in and arranged for us to have to ability to made tea (we rarely drink coffee). During our stay we found Andrew, Salomé and Greg to be particularly attentive in making sure our trip lived up to our expectations. Equally wonderful were Aynsley, Doug and Jenny, but for scheduling reasons, we didn’t seem them quite as much.

We wanted to particularly acknowledge the folks we have dubbed our “first responders” — the Butler Services Team on the phone. They were the first people we spoke to in the mornings (calling the butlers for tea service or help with reservations), and the ones we reached out to for almost anything during the day. They even managed to get our boarding passes printed and to us with very short notice as we were leaving. Those who stood out amid that sea of excellence were Joanne, Sheena, Kyle, Jenny, and Jean.

Makana Terrace has perhaps the most spectacular combination of view, service, and food selections in the world. We usually had breakfast there, plus several dinners, and we would have lunched there had it been available. If we wanted something not exactly as it was on the menu, adjustments were made gracefully and as requested.

Even with all this, Makana Terrace would be just a great view restaurant if it wasn’t for the hospitality, empathy, and island charm of the people. Frank, who manages it at breakfast, greeted us with a hand written note of welcome in our room when we arrived, and made us feel at home each morning (wish we had that view and buffet at home!!!). The hostesses — CJ, Margaret, Sax, Marie, and Shannon — remembered our names each day and did an amazing job of getting us the tables we loved whenever possible and always made us feel at home. On the serving staff, Jimmy is the prince of all waiters. We were also always delighted to be seated in sections served by Rick, Flynn, Lyza, and Jenny. We also had notably good experiences with Tita, Jeffrey, and Vaughn. David, who manages the Terrace in the evening, was equally gracious, warm, and welcoming.

We had lunch down by the pool several times and love all the health-conscious options, especially the kale salad with grilled local fish. Jamie, Hannah, and Candyce were exceptional waitresses. Kaipo and Veronica greeted us by name even on the first day of our arrival.

Leilani, at the concierge desk, and David, too, responded to our interest in healthy, comfort food, and she directed us to the Tavern at the Prince Golf course. We loved their roasted vegetable plate, simply grilled island fish, and island favorite, fried chicken! Only problem was that we found it a bit late during our stay, so we only got to go there twice.

Here are just a few other people we wanted to mention. June at the front desk handled a number of things for us, including a most hospitable check in, and we really appreciate that she comes around the the desk to greet us each time we stop for something. Similarly, Priscilla has been taking care of us since those morning breakfast treats were served in the bar (before it was a St. Regis), and she is always a joy. Seliley in housekeeping greeted us by name when she saw us in the hallway on our arrival day — and she always does a great job! Glorina was also warm and friendly and did a great job. The same with Myrna, in the evenings, we felt her presence, which was punctuated by the note and flower she left in the room on our last evening. Sean, in engineering, fixed a problem with the faulty iPod player within minutes, and was as kind and engaging as he was proficient. Erwin and Jason were very gracious at the front door, often insisting Don carry a water bottle on his way out for a walk, and so many others there were always friendly and accommodating (sorry we didn't get everyone's names). The bellman, Toppy, welcomed us back with his big smile and made sure we were comfortable in the room and had everything we needed as we settled in.

All of these people mentioned above did their part to make us feel like cherished family, and we are deeply, deeply grateful for that. That’s why we keep coming back, that’s why we tell our friends they have to go there, and that’s why don’t even bother to look for another interesting place to vacation — although it feels more like returning to our heart-home, which in many ways it is. Thank you, Milton, for your part in that!

Mahalo,
Paige & Don

Room Tip: It depends on what you like. If you want quiet, as we do, ask for something away from the pool area. If you can swing a Monarch Suite, that has a lanai so you have a patio and can walk out on the grass. Mostly, call the hotel itself as soon as you book and tell them you'd love some help getting a room that you'll love. Our experience is that they really do go out of their way to accommodate guest preferences and needs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paige M
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Aloha Paige and Don,

Mahalo for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your return stay at our Resort. Our staff takes great pride in being able to provide the most bespoke service possible to our guests and we are pleased to hear they went above and beyond. We will make sure everyone deserves recognition and we have shared this review with our staff. Being able to welcome back guests year after year allows you to become one of the Ohana (family). It would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I am sure this is an aberration to many of the reviews, but we had a waitress who was awful. When you go to a place like this, you should expect and receive perfection, considering the view and the price. We ordered two coffees, and I told the waitress please bring it with breakfast. She brought one French Press Coffee early before our breakfast and forgot the second. Then we got our pastries later. Then I said we have no cream. She brought skim milk. Then I said, "I would like some half and half," and she said, "OK, I will bring you some half and half." She brought whole milk. At this point, my coffee was getting cold and I was really unhappy, and decided to let it go so I could at least enjoy myself a little bit.

The brunch is $38. Upon looking at it, I was glad I didn't get it, it didn't look as fantastic as it should considering the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank jhawks1510

Aloha jhawks1510,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had the trip of a lifetime at this hotel. The spot, with its rocky crags, waterfalls, and blue, rolling water, is inspiring. The people who work there are beyond nice and helpful: for example, four people manning the concierge desk almost at all times. Breakfasts out on the terrace were a visual dream come true. We would go back ANYTIME :) We also enjoyed the hotel coffee bar, the spa, and the Kauai Grill (tho in the end, we liked a few restaurants we found on the island just a little more.) My only criticism is that the hotel lobby is over air-conditioned. It felt not very "sustainable" and it made me feel cut off from the natural beauty. But step outside, and it's all good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Aloha Barbara L,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit to our Resort. We are pleased to hear your stay was exceptional and that our staff took such great care of you doing your stay. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We ended our honeymoon at this hotel and we didn't want to leave!! We were upgraded to the presidential suite and had the time of our life. The service was incredible, we ordered room service breakfast every morning and enjoyed the pool daily (not a large beach). The layout of the hotel makes it so there is no bad view. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Aloha plush366,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our Resort. We are pleased to hear you were able to enjoy part of your honeymoon getaway at our Resort. An upgrade to the Presidential Suite must have been the icing on your cake and can only imagine how much you enjoyed it. It would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come and hopefully for an anniversary!