“Not really a St. Regis” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Toronto
“Not really a St. Regis”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

The St. Regis is definitely on a beautiful piece of property unparalleled to anything else on the North shore of Kauai, however it simply does not live up to it’s name nor reputation when it comes to quality, service and amenities.

The Starwood Group did a good job in updating the very tired and dilapidated Princeville Resort, but renovations are only a small piece of a very large pie that encompasses all of the elements that go into making a quality resort. While the hotel might be on its way to living up to its name as a five star brand parallel to the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton’s of the world, as of yet, it is best to describe the resort as a well decorated Westin.

Grounds/Pool
The grounds are nice but by no means great. The so-called “infinity” pool is the old pool (sans bridge) re-tiled and filled to the top so that it “edgeless” . Drinks at the pool are ridiculously priced at $18.00 + and the service at the bar is pretty lackluster.

Rooms
The rooms, are nicely decorated, with an amazingly comfortable bed, beautiful plasma TV and all of the extras one might (Except for a coffee maker!!!) need from an iPod docking station to overhead reading lights. The unique transparent glass is a very cool idea in theory, but makes going to the washroom at night quite the challenge, as frosted glass does not block out the light. The washroom is by no means luxurious, I'm actually pretty sure it is the old washroom with some new hardware, The views from our Ocean View rooms was breathtaking, so in my opinion worth every penny for an upgrade.

The food in the main dining room is neither here nor there. The morning breakfast buffet is pretty sparse and is the exact same every, single day...it literally did not change once in the 7 days we were visiting, As many others mentioned the only have bowls at the buffet, and the service in the dining room is horribly slow.

The St. Regis has a long way to go and probably should have remained closed or in its soft opening. There is not one boutique open in the hotel, making it very difficult to get anything without having to drive all the way into town. For a resort that does not provide a coffee machine in the room, or complimentary coffee in the morning (as many Four Seasons do) I found it pretty ridiculous that they charged $4.00 for a regular coffee in their "coffee shop". If you want a specialty coffee like a latte, good luck, as prices start at $5.00 for a small. Printers in the business center did not work, ice machines are sparse and ice is brought around in a cooler, and ocerall nothing really seems to be flowing in terms of service.

The St. Regis is on a beautiful piece of property, but definitely not worth the money. If you get a deal, go and enjoy the spectacular view’s, just don’t expect anything else to be even close to spectacular during your stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HAMToronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San diego, Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

Our expectations were diflated, pool spa at 90 degrees?
Breakfast buffet is very limited, rooms are poorly redone, still looks like the overworked
princeville. We were very desapointed, Millions of dlls were invested on transforming the Lobby, clearly they ran out of money,
If you plan to visit expect a Sharaton with magestic views.
NOT WORTH THE MONEY, STAY AT HAYATT IF IN KAUAI.

3 Thank cyberflugo
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

My husband and I visited Kauai for 5 nights from Oct 24 - Oct 31. We stayed 2 nights at the Sheraton on the South side and 3 nights at the St. Regis. Yes - it is very expensive, but if you are looking to splurge - this is the place to do it. From the minute we drove up, we were greeted with a nice valet attendee who escorted us to the reception area. We were upgraded to an oceanview room with a terrace when we were originally booked with a mountainview (Gold card with Starwood). Our room was clean, the beds were plush, and the view is just fantastic. Floor to ceiling sliding windows opened up to the beach in front of us and the pool to the left. We spent some time by the pool and in the hot tub which are always cold and warm. The poolside service was a bit slow, but it was nice that it wasn't overbearing. They actually have a couple of lounging beds that face the ocean, so if you get there early - anyone can claim them. The food by the pool was delicious - sliders, turkey panini, pizza - all good. We dined at the bar one night on light appetizers - the empanadas were good, i did not like the spring rolls. We also dined at the Makana Terrace one night - there is a small fly/gnat problem at dusk and it got so bad that we had to move inside to enjoy the rest of the meal. The view is still beautiful anywhere you go in the resort. The drinks were pricey, but what can you expect? The dress was casual as can be - all spectrums and no judgement. The staff was more than friendly and overall it was a fantastic experience in a great location. Being guests also afforded us discounts at the Prince course which was beautiful and close by. I would love to come again if we found the same great rate and felt like splurging once again. If it won't break the bank, I definitely recommend this beautiful, fabulous, friendly resort.

1 Thank kc-81
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

The St. Regis Princeville is located in paradise, but unfortunately the newly renovated resort's service lacks any similar divinity. The public areas are all immaculate, beautiful but not overshadowing the true star: the sweeping mountains and crashing waves which kiss the property. The view from my standard mountain view room was jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The accommodations themselves were equally lavish, from the luxurious plush bedding to the glossy orange closet filled with amenities (except for a coffee maker) to the comfy sitting area that could be transformed into another sleeping area. However, the St. Regis Princeville employees' attitudes and unwillingness to pamper guests leaves something to be desired, especially at this exorbitant price point.

The first hiccup during my stay occurred when the room's privacy window, an electrochromic glass pane separating the bedroom from bathroom, would not properly operate. Because the privacy window was stuck in the closed position, I did not think it was a pressing issue. However, I called down to the front desk to alert them of the malfunction, anyway. After several rings — over 20 — a clerk answered and halfheartedly said she was aware of that particular issue and insisted it would take several days to repair. That surprised me since the resort had only been open for a few weeks. She asked if I wanted to move to another room, but I loved my view so much that I decided not to jeopardize it and ended up staying put with the broken privacy window.

Other service issues included broken printers in the business center, not-so-great drinks at both the lobby and pool bars and disappointing dining experiences at the Makana Terrace, the resort's awkward restaurant that only features bowls at the breakfast buffet. During dinner on the terrace one evening, the server did not provide a spoon with my lobster bisque then disappeared into the night. By the time I tracked down him down to ask for one, my soup had gone cold. Also, ice machines are not publicly available. During my stay, ice service took an extremely long time, both for the clerk to answer the phone and to deliver the bucket of frosty cubes.

The uninspired service continued until my very last moment at the St. Regis Princeville. During check out, I informed the clerk my flight was not until later that evening, so I planned to have lunch by the pool and lounge on the beach. I asked if there was a place I could change and shower before I departed for the airport, and I was instructed to use the restroom down the hall. Anywhere else that would have been fine, but at a resort of this caliber, I was surprised that I was not offered the use of a room or the spa. Until the St. Regis Princeville can employ a class of service as upscale as the facility itself, I suggest skipping this slice of paradise.

5 Thank martinidrinker
Spanaway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

We stayed at the Westin Princeville resort, just down the street -- but because St. Regis is a Starwood property we had privileges here! The St. Regis is beautiful -- the views overlooking Hanalei Bay are priceless -- the beach is great, nice and sandy, lots of lounge chairs with umbrellas, great snorkeling, terrific service! and the food at the restaurant is superb! We had dinner at the restaurant overlooking the bay at sunset -- great food and awesome service! I give it a 5 of 5! It just opened up about 3-4 weeks ago -- this is a very good find - peaceful, restful, and luxurious! There are lounge chairs on the decks overlooking the bay you can just sit out and have a drink and chill! Will definitely return! Yes prices are steep -- but it's a St. Regis -- what do you expect! Top service and luxury!

1 Thank Sherry H
Wallingford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

Wonderful time at the St. Regis. Hotel was recently redone and I was nervous that I would hear jackhammers. Every thing was perfect...service, food, etc.... The view out of the room was wonderful. The bedding was sooo luxurious...tons of pillows. The turn down service is great. Every night we were given bottles of water so we didn't have to go running around to get some on our way to tour.

Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

This has been a VERY disappointing trip to one of the most prestigious hotel chain in the world! When I think of the name St. Regis all that should be associated with the name should be of quality and service, that is FALSE with this hotel. This hotel is very disappointing the following is not ready: Hotels rooms, suites, restaurant (main), shopping (all shops), service, and the hotel in general in various areas. The hotel rooms are so not what I expected, they didn't change the toilets or tubs and the interior of the bathroom, it's the old bathroom from the previous hotel; and I know this because I've stayed there when they were a Luxury Collection Brand. The carpets is bad because there are so many snags, I'm in disbelief that they would even consider that type of carpet to be installed, I wouldn't put that in my house. The only service that I feel and know that is worthy of the St. Regis name is the Valet and Bell Staff. The front desk doesn't answer phones, the hotel operator is so busy with so many calls that many times I counted 15-25 rings before someone answered and lots of times I had to be transferred and many more rings again ie. concierge desk. The food in the hotel is poor, it's so expensive, service is awfully slow to the point where I witnessed patrons walk out because of the bad service. The staff is not the same as in they are no longer the warm welcoming hospitable staff as the old hotel and they're the same staff. It's like the hotel management is not allowing the Aloha Spirit and Hospitality in the hotel. The reason I went to the hotel in Hawaii is to be in Hawaii not at a hotel in NY or LA, if I wanted to be treated like just another customer I would have stayed on the mainland! Management in that hotel is VERY bad. I dealt with various department managers, because I felt that they were not doing their job where as the staff was trying, but being restricted to do many things. I don't care for the Housekeeping Executive, Front Office Manager, night Restaurant Manager they should be removed from that hotel they don't know how to run a hotel that is in Hawaii ship them off to the mainland where their awful attitude will match the work place. I want management to work at the St. Regis who have the Aloha Spirit! The ice machines don't work on the floors, I tried to look for machines and they were broken then I wondered how to get ice... the staff pulls around a cooler HOW TACKY! A St. Regis hotel has it's staff pull a cooler of ice around with them, NOT what I expected in this type of caliber hotel! I asked to see other rooms and suites to see if I'd like the decor should I return, but was advised that none of the suites, presidental and royal suite is up and that they are still under renovation..???? What... I thought the hotel had a grand opening, how did the owners and management of the hotel allow the hotel to open when hotel rooms, suites, restaurant, shops NOT open and still under construction? Oh yeah and when i looked closely at things they didn't fix some problems like the air conditioning, it leaked in my room and when I looked at the vent it was not sanitary. It didn't seemed to have been cleaned, ever!

8 Thank Kaleo1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,673 reviews

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!