“The Best Hawaiian experience in 25 years of visiting the Islands”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Los Angeles, California
“The Best Hawaiian experience in 25 years of visiting the Islands”
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I last stayed at this hotel 4 years ago and loved it then, but the experience palled in comparison to the new St. Regis Princeville Resort. The room was spacious, beautifully decorated and had every conceivable amenity to enhance the comfort of our stay. Maid service was efficient, attentive but unobtrusive. We ate at the main restaurant (still with incredible views overlooking breathtaking Hanalai Bay) several times and the quality of food was unparalleled. The pool and beach areas were so relaxing we did not want to leave. The pool was re-designed to offer areas of quiet seclusion or more social spots. What really made this stay so memorable, however, was the incredible level of service we experienced from every single hotel employee, without exception. This is what truly distinguishes this hotel from so many others I have stayed at of the same caliber.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katerobinson24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 16 June 2010

My Mom and I loved this hotel! The views of the bay are absolutely incredibly beautiful. I never saw the old hotel, but I really liked the new lobby, I thought it was lovely. The staff from check in to check out were amazing and so friendly. Our drivers Mike and Frank were awesome- if you do not rent a car, the hotel has a shuttle free of service to use if you need to go into Princeville or Hanalei. Noah at the pool/beach was so great- he made our trip!! What an awesome person, we really missed him on our last day when he was off. Pineapple at 2:30 was great. Some people have commented that the food/drinks were overpriced but I thought they were fine for the location/service. Normal for a 5* hotel. Our premium ocean view room did have a fabulous view, we really enjoyed it. You cannot beat the view, it is too beautiful.

The only negatives: the gym was a little stuffy and they didn't have light weights. On the higher level there is a small view of the bay. Also the rooms were on the small side- long and narrow and no balcony (it would have been nice). The bathrooms did not have a separate shower and tub and the privacy window thing got old fast. I think they could have done a better job with the room remodel (like at the Mauna Kea on the Big Island they took a room and half for the new rooms so the bathroom had a direct view of the sea and the old bath became a great closet.).

Loved our trip to Kauai and the St. Regis! What a view.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
MSgarbi, General Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2010
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for choosing to stay at the St Regis Princeville Resort. We appreciate your comments and we will share them with the team.

We also take your suggestions very seriously and we will be looking into ways to use them to improve future guest experiences.

At the same time, I would like to thank all the reviewers who took the time on their busy schedules to share their experiences by posting a review. Mahalo Nui Loa! (Thank you very much in Hawaiian)

Our Ohana fully embraces the true Spirit of Aloha and is honored to share their island home of Kaua’i with our guests.

Should your travel plans bring you back to Princeville, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It will be my pleasure to help you with your reservation.

Warmest Mahalo,

Milton Sgarbi
Austin, TX
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I stayed at the St. Regis Priceville 06/06-06/11, the entry to the hotel is very impressive, check in is very comfortable, they have three desks set up w/two chairs each to sit down to check in. We were given beautiful leighs upon arrival and offered an ice cold water bottle. The valet service professionals were very attentive and made you feel welcome. They were very knowledgeable about the area and offered useful information on places to see. I also spent a full afternoon in the spa, which is gorgeous, very relaxing, again nothing is forgotten to ensure your time spent in the spa is relaxing and rejuvinating. The restaurant we tried was the one open every day, we had dinner there, Drew was our waiter and he was superb. Happy Hour in the bar area waiting for the sunset is definitely a great people watching place, great drinks and lovely views of the sunset. Our room overlooked the mountains and ocean, you truly feel like you are in a rainforest when you go to your room. The trees, flowers and birds are wonderful. The room was a great size, we opted for two queen beds since it was girl friends, there is a nice sitting area and desk. The TV is a Samsung HD, I think 42", there is a radio that can search 16,000 stations! Room service was also attentive and fast. I will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future! Highly recommend it if you want to be pampered and treated really well on your vacation!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2010

This property is simply stunning. The views are incredible. We booked two of the mountain view rooms and even though our rooms did not have an ocean view, the view was beautiful. The rooms are large, well appointed and the toiletries provided are top notch. Most of the staff were helpful and attentive. The spa was the best I've ever seen - I highly recommend their signature 4 hands massage/facial. The beach/pool area was just beautiful and I never did open my book that I brought - I just could not stop looking at the view! The only downside was our check-in. The man checking us in was rather snooty - he seemed bothered by having to check us in. Told us the wrong room numbers for our rooms. On the morning we checked out a bellman just opened our door (presumably to show the new guests to our room) without even knocking. Other than these two episodes everything was great. We had breakfast included with our rate and it was served beautifully and efficiently at their main restaurant each morning. Husband and I did have dinner at Kauai Grill and it was the best dinner we had of the entire trip. The do have a small coffee bar inside the lobby but it was only open for a few hours per day - I was glad we stopped at a grocery on our drive up for soft drinks and snacks. There is no gift shop or any other shop in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I read the reviews about the St Regis getting renovated recently and was a little nervous about what I'd find when we arrived for our honeymoon. But this place is AWESOME. I'd recommend this place to any honeymooner or couple. The good and bad points:

Good:
-Views are spectacular. Kauai's north shore is gorgeous, and the St. Regis faces one of the best waterfalls in the distance. A 3000 ft fall
-Location is ideal for hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, hidden beaches, diving, and the best pictures you'll ever take.
-The St Regis beach and pool are beautiful
-Rooms have huge tv's (not that you're inside much)
-Beds and pillows are very comfortable
-Butlers and concierges are great. Very friendly and eager to help.

Mediocre:
-Turndown service was great at first, but got lazy the longer we stayed there. One night we even had to ask the front desk to send them up, as we'd seen the room still messed up on a quick trip back from dinner. The attitude of the girls cleaning the room seemed a little on the smartass side.

Bad:
-Drinks are WAYY overpriced and STINGY on the alcohol. Even by Vegas standards, it's overpriced. 2 pina coladas? $30. Stupid, considering drinks are less than 1/2 that price and better down the street. If drinks were priced normally, I probably would have ordered four times as many, but the sticker shock of the first ones scared me off. Management needs a lesson in marketing.
-Food....again, WAYY overpriced and stingy on portions.

Overall, the positives far outweighed any negatives. I'd definitely stay here again. Just don't waste your money at the restaurant (the Makana Terrace) or at the bar. If you're looking for pampering and don't mind paying for it, this is your place. If you want the same views, location, activities, etc but don't want to pay so much? I'd say look at the smaller places in Hanalei.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drdave75
Dover, MA
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Hi everyone I am a Platinum, top tier member of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. I travel both for business and leisure. I am posting a response I sent back to the St. Regis Princeville, in response from an email asking me how my stay was. I will also add some additional information that was not talked about in my email response. Here it is:
HI Kelly & Milton
I am replying to your email on our stay last week.
As an SPG Platinum member we have been lucky to stay at many hotels over the world and we really enjoyed our time at the St. Regis Princeville. We were there to celebrate my wife's birthday as well as our 4th wedding anniversary. I want to thank you first for the nice upgrade to the Junior Suite. It was a great room on the 10th floor and had lovely views. I also wanted to thank you for the nice bottle of champagne that was delivered to our room. That was very thoughtful. We spent most of time on the property and had dinner at all the restaurants. We also had spa treatments and enjoyed ourselves both dining and spa-ing. The renovations are very impressive and the spa facilities were great. The staff was very friendly throughout the property and I would like to point out two people who stood out. Pei, our butler was very nice andhelpful. We had a few issues with our room and she had the items fixed right away. Also Ginette our server at the Makana Terrace was very nice, thoughtful and provided great service to us.

The only thing that we wished the St. Regis had was a gift shop. We wanted to buy some shirts with the St. Regis logo on them for us and family. Hopefully it will be open next time we visit.
In closing we had a great stay, we generally like to travel to different areas when we go on vacation but my wife has already told me she wants to go back.
Thanks again and please pass on our thanks to your staff and specifically Pei and Ginette.

So as you can see we really had a nice time and it was a great property. My wife really enjoyed it as I am writing this she told me to mention how really clean the public areas are as well as the spa. The Spa is brand new and it is quite nice. Both men and women lockers have showers with multiple heads and body sprays and 1 even has a small waterfall. I booked my wife a special massage package that game with her own private suite and it was for 3-4 hrs. She completely loved it and it was well work the big bucks that it cost. I myself had the lomi lomi and clay taro body scrub and both were excellent.

We had dinner at the Kauai Grill the high end rest located at the St Regis. They had a $60 peppercorn steak where I was very hesitant to order. I have been to many steak houses in NYC and almost all of the steakhouses in Boston and never had I seen a steak for so much money. I decided to splurge and try the $60 steak. Much to my surprise it was worth it. It was an excellent cut of meat and the pepper was great. I would get it again next time I come back. We had dinners at the Makana Terrace and went to see the Mailani show they had there. It was $125 for dinner (buffet style) and drinks. Not cheap but worth the experience. Ok now some other points before I close.

Upon arrival we did receive nice leis I know your asking doesnt everyone get a leis?..well we stayed down at the Sheraton Kauai prior to making out way up north and we did not get any leis ( see my review ).

Valet parking is $15.62 includes tax

Upon checking in on a wednesday we were told Kauai Grill was booked all weekend. I did book a resy for sat night through open table a month prior and we were also told getting a late checkout would be very tough even though I had not asked for one but I would of. Being SPG Platinum I am used to 4pm check outs. In both instances the wording could of probably been a little different. My wife didnt take to kindly to the " no reservations are available for Kauai Grill or the "no late check out because we are a resort hotel". Staying at the top tier Starwood Hotel and as highly valued member of the SPG program we prob would of liked "the Kauai Grill is booked but we certainly can try to get you a reservation" or " the hotel is sold out we try our best to accomodate a late check out". As an 11 year member of ther SPG program I have never been denied a late check out ". I have stayed at tons of SPG properites from the 4 points, to luxury collections to St Regis. Also I know there is always a way to get a table at a sold out rest. I stayed at the Sanderson in London a few years back and needed a last minute dinner resy at the hotel rest. and the concierge was able to get me a table for 2 even tho they had no resys left. Not a big deal but would like to point this out as I did not point this out in my email to the general manager.

Junior Suite includes butler service which they deliver coffee and or tea each morning you call. My wife loved it french press kona coffee and I had a green tea. One morning I called and the operator I guess never passed the word to the butler and we did not get our delivery. I called back 45minutes after waiting and they showed up within 10 minutes. It was a mistake things happen. Our suite was located on the left side or the property if you were looking at the bay. One night they had a function in one of the function rooms 3 floors down. We got a nice phone call from the front desk saying if the noise was to loud please let them know.We did not have any problems and we appreciated the phone call.

Internet connection was fine in my room I had my laptop with me. Internet is free for SPG Platinum members.

Fitness center is nice with treadmills,elipitcal, weights etc.

In closing the St Regis Princeville is a great property. Spectacular views of Hanalei Harbor and Bali Hai. Junior suite was great, spa great, all the food outlets served great food.

The St. Regis is the top of the chain for Starwood Properties so it is not inexpensive. We paid alot of money and spent alot of money on food and spa and we handed out plenty of tips to the maids, butler, pool guys, valets. It was worth it. The value was there and my wife loved. If my wife loves it then guess what I love it. Any questions please let me know.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PlatinumPete
San Francisco
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My wife and I spent 6 days at the St. Regis for the first part of our honeymoon. We were absolutely thrilled with every aspect of our experience. The setting is beautiful, the staff were welcoming, attentive, and helpful. The rooms are newly redone with amazing views, comfortable beds, and lots of space. We ate at both restaurants; both were delicious. We played a round of golf at the Prince course; it was one of the most beautiful courses I've played. The concierge helped us set up a variety of activities and made it easy to plan our stay. From beginning to end we were thrilled with our experience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!