“Hanalei Bay Resort Kauai”
Review of Hanalei Bay Resort

Hanalei Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My family of 5 (3 children 10, 10 and 7) just spent a week in April 2014 at Hanalei Bay Resort in Kauai. The view of the bay and Bali Hei are spectacular and the grounds of Hanalei Bay Resort are lovely and well kept, however Hanalie Bay Resort is going through MANY renovations and rebuilding at the same time, taking away from the "resort" experience.

We knew in advance that the restaurant would be closed, however we we were not prepared for the entire resort to be under construction. The what looked like a lovely lobby with waterfalls was closed and under construction and there was an UNIMPRESSIVE "temporary" lobby in a condo unit. When I asked about the lobby and restaurant, the staffed seemed uncomfortable in answering, as apparently it has been "under construction" for 5 years. The pool "bar" was gone and under construction. We could see there once was a pool bar, as the stools are still in the pool. There was no where within walking distance to get a drink or bite to eat at this "resort" - except your own kitchen. The pool bathrooms were gone and under construction - instead there were 2 brightly colored plastic port-o-pots for the pool and tennis courts to share. Gross. The fitness center was closed, too.
• The property is large and VERY hilly.There was only ONE person driving a golf cart for the entire guest population at Hanalei Bay Resort, meaning there was a 8-25 minute wait to get anywhere (beach, to your parked car, etc) - which meant that we walked 9 out of 10 times because we couldn't wait for the Golf Cart.
• The paved beach path down the hill has NO LIGHTS AT ALL on it - completely dangerously PITCH BLACK up the STEEP hill, through the jungle trees after the sun sets. We watched the sun set on "our" beach next to the St. Regis and had a hard time even finding the path to get back up the hill or to wait for the golf cart. The golf cart stop at the beach doesn't not even have a light - not even a candle , solar light, or tiki torch. A "resort" needs to have some safety lighting on their beach path.
• The main pool is lovely. However, it is dangerously dark for children (or anyone) in the evening, with just a few VERY LOW wattage lights in the water and nothing on the surrounding deck. There are 2 tiki torch lights by the hot tub, but none near the pool.
• There is a lovely lawn seating area on the bluff where guests gather to watch the sun set. Looks like they started to build a fire pit, but that isn't completed or functional yet, either.

This place has the potential to be an AMAZING RESORT - just hard to categorize it as a resort right now, as it does NOT have resort amenities.

7  Thank lukenriley

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband, our kids aged 15 and 12 and myself stayed for six nights in Units 4221/2 last week. We are from a coastal part of Western Australia and are used to gorgeous ocean views and sunsets, however we were blown away by what we saw from our balcony on arriving at the unit. It was the most beautiful view I've experienced and could not get enough of it. We also loved all the little birds and chooks (Aussie for chickens) running around on the ground below. The unit was beautifully presented but not precious and we all felt quite at home in it. The kitchen has all new appliances and is well equipped. Beds are very comfortable. The unit is perfect for a family with teenage kids..they used the snorkelling equipment, boards etc and appreciated the wifi and dvd's! Unfortunately I injured my foot while on holidays, however the resort offers door to beach pick up service in a golf cart so I could easily get to the gorgeous little beach every day. We loved the Hanalei Bay area..some lovely restaurants and shops (but not too many), gorgeous beaches, and scenery. My son who is a keen surfer found some very good waves in Hanalei Bay. We also went horseriding at Silverleaf ranch and took a helicopter ride from Princeville airport (just 5 mins away)...the scenery was spectacular. We enjoyed a lot of time at the pool which is gorgeous. I would love to come back and stay when the bar/restaurant is opened and other facilities finished which are being worked on at the moment. Thanks also to Joan the owner of the unit who was extremely helpful when we initially booked right through to the end of our stay. A truly amazing holiday and I hope we will be back!

Room Tip: Would highly recommend Units 4221/2 for families travelling with kids.
1  Thank Lisa H
jebett, Owner at Hanalei Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

How blessed am I to have such wonderful visitors from all over the world enjoy my island home and love it as much as I do. Thank you so very much for your kind words and letting others know you had a wonderful stay at Hanalei Bay Resort and the North Shore of Kauai. I will keep you updated on the opening of all the new facilities like the lobby, fitness center, gift shop and of course the much anticipated reopening of the bar and restaurant.
Hurry back. Bali Hai is calling.
Joan
owner 4221-2

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Great location in Princeville and easy access to beaches and Hanalei Bay area. Our condo was perfect and we had a great view of the bay itself. The facilities were under construction but that did not matter as very thing we needed was still accessible. We would defiantly stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We spent a week in unit #6302 in the beginning of April 2014. The unit is a little dated, but overall it was very clean and more than adequate for our visit. There were a few areas that could do with a little TLC but not a problem. Kitchen was very well equipped with mostly newish appliances. The view is exceptionally good of Hanalei Bay and mountains. The lanai was a fantastic place to sit and watch the sun set! I have read the reviews about the pool being fantastic. It's ok, not great, but again, is more than adequate. It would be nice if the pool area had a bar/snack area etc. Hopefully when the renovations are done, they will provide this. I'm sure they would do great business! Would love to return when the restaurant is completed! Were were told by locals that it was a great place for dinner/cocktails.

1  Thank Maxandhannah
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We first came here 25 years ago & fell in love with the location, gardens, & pool. We also liked the affordability. Since then time has taken its toll. But I am pleased to say many of the rooms have been updated beautifully. The lobby will be back on line in June & they hope the Bali Hi restaurant will open in August. This trip we stayed in 3303 with a spectacular view of the bay. You will want the Guava building if you can get it for this view. The pool is still magnificent & the gardens only look better. Stays are still a bargain because of the renovations but a booking in August or later may still be a steal.

Room Tip: Any of the Guava building units
2  Thank KahunaVentura_CA
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We were so disappointed in our room at Hanalei Bay. The wallpaper in the bathroom was all wrinkled, the mirror was pitted; the overhead air conditioning was very loud. We are NOT elegant people but for the high price (very high!) for one night we had higher expectations. In New York this would have been an average cheap-end motel room. We were also upset that the hotel rang our room at 8 am to remind us to attend an "orientation" which I am sure was a timeshare pitch or, as we were told at check-in, an opportunity for island vendors to tell us about their tours and such. We specifically explained that we were leaving next morning and we're not interested in attending. That said, staff was really nice.

2  Thank Alishec1
Reviewed 23 April 2014

What an amazing vacation!

My husband, 17 month old daughter, my best friend, her husband, and their 12 month old daughter all vacationed in units 4222/4221 this past week. To say we enjoyed ourselves would be the understatement of the century. We had the greatest vacation ever and can't wait to go back. (And, for the record, this trip was my husband's idea. I have been to Maui and Oahu and was bored out of my mind and would never go back. Kauai was completely different and I'd go back in a heartbeat!!!)

Joan (the owner of the units) has a beautiful property with lovely features and it was perfect for our two families. Here were some of our favorite parts of the unit:

1. Traveling with children is DIFFICULT. The last thing we want to do is come in after 15 hours of traveling (we live in Michigan) and find a home with 10,000 knickknacks and things we need to babyproof. Joan's home was decorated in a lovely, charming way, but without all of the random things/pieces of art that babies like to find. We travel a lot with our children and this was the easiest place we have ever stayed.

2. The views! The VIEWS! The views were amazing. Unfortunately, we had the black-out curtains down the entire time because of naps and needing to adjust the babies on new schedules (blackout curtains are also extremely helpful when traveling with babies), but the view from every window was simply breathtaking.

3. Joan has everything you could possibly need in the apartment waiting for you. Kitchen items, towels, linens, snorkeling gear, umbrellas, beach bags, toys, and baby beds - she has thought of everything! And it makes packing much, much easier. The home is also spotless (I'm a germaphobe!).

4. We didn't watch TV once when we were there, but the babysitter that came over (we used Happy Kids) played some Hawaiian music for the girls. The babysitter said the girls loved it.

5. Hanalei Bay Resort is great. The walk/drive down to the beach is fantastically beautiful and the beach is practically private. The pools are great too, although we stuck with the beach mostly. I loved that we could walk when we wanted, and could take a golf cart when we had a hundred items because of the girls. That made things really fun. And the babies loved the golf carts!

6. Joan is a very thoughtful owner. I emailed her about ten times with incredibly stupid questions about things-that-babies-need and she always responded within 24 hours. That made planning much, much easier.

Our only complaint (and this is what warrants four stars, not five) is that we would've enjoyed ourselves just a little more if the restaurant/bar/fitness center had been open. There was no easy way to grab a bite or a drink by the pool and we really missed that part of vacationing. When we were at the beach one day we stopped by the St. Regis for a cocktail and lunch and for two adults and one baby our bill was over $175.00. Eek. We grocery shopped and dined out about five nights, but I would've loved a Mai Thai or Mojito at the pool. We were properly warned about those amenities being closed, but I didn't realize the only "walkable" bar/amenity would include a $36 price tag for a Ceasar Salad and $21 for a vodka soda! But, no big deal overall.

Thank you Joan, Hanalei Bay, and Kauai! We will most certainly be back!

3  Thank Kirsten H
jebett, Owner at Hanalei Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Aloha and thank you so much for the wonderful review. There is nothing better than reading that families have enjoyed my home and the island I love so much. I try very hard to make everyone feel as if my home is their home. I hope you felt that way.
I can't tell you how sorry I am that the bar and the restaurant are not finished. I will be the first one to do the happy dance when it has its grand opening in the fall if everything falls into place. Please come back soon and again mahalo for your kind review.
Joan
owner 4221/2

Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Hanalei Bay Resort? Share your experiences!