My family of 5 (3 children 10, 10 and 7) just spent a week in April 2014 at Hanalei Bay Resort in Kauai. The view of the bay and Bali Hei are spectacular and the grounds of Hanalei Bay Resort are lovely and well kept, however Hanalie Bay Resort is going through MANY renovations and rebuilding at the same time, taking away from the "resort" experience.
We knew in advance that the restaurant would be closed, however we we were not prepared for the entire resort to be under construction. The what looked like a lovely lobby with waterfalls was closed and under construction and there was an UNIMPRESSIVE "temporary" lobby in a condo unit. When I asked about the lobby and restaurant, the staffed seemed uncomfortable in answering, as apparently it has been "under construction" for 5 years. The pool "bar" was gone and under construction. We could see there once was a pool bar, as the stools are still in the pool. There was no where within walking distance to get a drink or bite to eat at this "resort" - except your own kitchen. The pool bathrooms were gone and under construction - instead there were 2 brightly colored plastic port-o-pots for the pool and tennis courts to share. Gross. The fitness center was closed, too.
• The property is large and VERY hilly.There was only ONE person driving a golf cart for the entire guest population at Hanalei Bay Resort, meaning there was a 8-25 minute wait to get anywhere (beach, to your parked car, etc) - which meant that we walked 9 out of 10 times because we couldn't wait for the Golf Cart.
• The paved beach path down the hill has NO LIGHTS AT ALL on it - completely dangerously PITCH BLACK up the STEEP hill, through the jungle trees after the sun sets. We watched the sun set on "our" beach next to the St. Regis and had a hard time even finding the path to get back up the hill or to wait for the golf cart. The golf cart stop at the beach doesn't not even have a light - not even a candle , solar light, or tiki torch. A "resort" needs to have some safety lighting on their beach path.
• The main pool is lovely. However, it is dangerously dark for children (or anyone) in the evening, with just a few VERY LOW wattage lights in the water and nothing on the surrounding deck. There are 2 tiki torch lights by the hot tub, but none near the pool.
• There is a lovely lawn seating area on the bluff where guests gather to watch the sun set. Looks like they started to build a fire pit, but that isn't completed or functional yet, either.
This place has the potential to be an AMAZING RESORT - just hard to categorize it as a resort right now, as it does NOT have resort amenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha Guests, Mahalo for choosing Hanalei Bay Resort. We’re delighted to have you as our guests! Lush, relaxing, and as comfortable as your own home, our Princeville accommodations offer all the perks of a vacation rental along with award-winning service from our friendly staff. Located on Kauai’s North Shore, Hanalei Bay Resort captures the island’s beauty inside and out. A Daily Resort Fee of $20 plus tax will be collected at time of booking. Please note repairs to a select group of lanais will be taking place January 5, 2018 through April 27, 2018. You may notice a minimal amount of noise between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. Every effort will be taken to reduce the sound as much as possible and respond to any concern. Once again, mahalo for your understanding and cooperation during this emergency repair work. Warmest Regards, Resort Management ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Hanalei Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hanalei Bay Hotel Princeville
- Hanalei Bay Princeville
- Hanalei Bay Resort Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii