“Makai Club Cottages”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Mead, Colorado
“Makai Club Cottages”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

To be clear, there are the two bedroom cottages which I was a resident at and there are the condos that are reviewed on this property too .I stayed for a week during the recent tropical storm providing us with a little extra rain and wind towards the latter part of my week long stay. I had called ahead of my arrival and requested a couple of specific cottages out and away from the pool area after reading the reviews here on TA. Turns out any of the outlying cottages would be just as nice as the unit (302) that I had. Our unit was on the golf course, exposed to the breeze all day long, but was still very hot during my stay. There is no a/c or the review would have been a five-star rating. These units are not your typical condos, rather they are one level apartments separate from one another with 5 exits to go out. They are very lovely units with furnishings you might expect anywhere in Hawaii. They included 3 large and new HD TVs, wifi with nice coverage except on the lanai and a nice kitchen nicely appointed except for a large cooking pot. But upon request, one was delivered to us with 5 minutes of the call to the desk-which by the way is at another location. But communication is good between the two locales. My only concern was our first evening there, we were totally shocked to see out of the corner of my eye, the largest cockroach I had ever seen. It was nearly the size of the sample lotion or shampoo bottles that are stocked in each cottage. Over the course of the next three hours I killed 9 more of them running around the unit, but nearly all in the bathrooms. I called to ask what was to be done about them, was informed that during the time of great rain, they make their appearance. I was given a can of spray for them. I applied the spray along the baseboards and over the top of the master shower that coincidentally, I noticed a huge hole in the drywall when standing on a chair. The spray kept them at bay for one full day and then made their reappearance the day after. While I am assuming everyone has this problem, it was still a bit disconcerting to have them staying without sharing the cost of the unit with us.
The master shower is large enough for two people to be in and have their own private shower head which was a nice feature, but it would be wise to shower one at a time as the water pressure of the unit is not too great to have more than one item turned on at a time. I would absolutely recommend this property with the reservation of if you are travelling with someone who might be a bit squeamish of rather large bugs, then you probably should look elsewhere for your stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Haneleij

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
DOWNEY CALIFORNIA
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I was surprised to see so many bad reviews on this place. My expectations were very low prior to my arrival. We stayed for one week in unit 704, which is a 3rd level corner unit. It was very clean and quiet. I have great views of the mountains and waterfalls. I could even se a nice sunset over Bali Hai from the kitchen area. The unit appeared remodeled and the kitchen was fully stocked. We even used the communal Weber grill one night. The pool was never crowded and my daughter enjoyed it very much. The bed was very comfortable, the sofa bed not so much, but that is to be expected. The AC worked great. Less than a mile to Foodland and Lapert's ice cream. The food in Foodland is expensive, but not unreasonable. The deli has great food, sandwiches and sushi. The teriyaki beef that we bought and grilled was delicious and inexpensive. They even sell steamed rice to go with it. I can truly say that my week there was very enjoyable and would love to return in the near future. If you are there on a Sunday, make sure you treat yourself to the Sunday brunch at the St. Regis. It is 60.00 per adult and 30.00 per child under 12, but the food and view were worth it. You can always go the St. Regis and just hang out for the views. The valet parking is complementary.
Make sure you make some time to hang out at Anini Beach, especially if you have small children. The farther you drive down the road, the quieter it is.

We also enjoyed Dinner at Kauai Grill.

Room Tip: I always ask for top floor to avoid hearing people above me. Unit 704 was very isolated and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank earexpert
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I have to stay we did not plan this stay, my friend and got stranded in prinville after the bridge to hanalei got closed for flooding so looked for a place late in the night. We were extremely well received, we were given a studio but found out the old fashion way that someone was alreay sleeping in there, back to reception we got an uograde for free! So the room was ok...small, old looking style and the blankets not that great, but it was clean, had a great shower and great spa tub. What ma the stay that great was the service, all the staff were trying so hard to help us, gave us all the help we neede, thumb up

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank globetroteuse2010
connecticut
Reviewed 26 March 2013

stayed on the third floor in a one bedroom unit in the back of the property.unit was decent sized for two people.unit had a musty smell to it and could have used some fresh paint and upgrades.the lanai was in bad shape,doors showed abuse and looked as if someone tried to break in.two microwaves in the kitchen although one didnt work.lots of hens and roosters running around making noise but thats part of the kauai experience,gotta love um.the pool area is very small but pretty clean.the grounds are just soso. the girls at the front desk are another story,at check in they were very kind and helpful.they asked us to go to an owners meeting,i asked if this was a timeshare sales ploy or a weeks to points ploy and was told no.i asked 2 other girls at different times the same question and was told no again.guess what? its a timeshare sales ploy and a hard sell weeks to point ploy. don`t fall for this,stay away when asked and don`t fall for the bribe gifts they may offer.if the points system were as good as they say you would`nt need to be bribed to join it.as far as buying,you can save more then half of what they charge by doing your homework and buying from a private seller.believe me,im proof of this.besides why would you wanna give up your valuable time talking to someone who is nothing more then a used car salesman.enjoy your vacation and let these con artist find a new scam.

Room Tip: make sure you get a third floor room if staying in a one bedroom unit
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank skippyjonjones2008
Kelowna
Reviewed 25 March 2013

These condos and cottages are well appointed,and they are a good base to stay in the Princeville area.The condo and the grounds were clean,and the our one bedroom unit was comfortable. This is a small group of condos and cottages grouped together. There are some shortcomings: pool and no tub are quite small,the club house has enough room for the receptionist desks,but really nothing else. There is no fitness area, and Lei O Papa Road is busy and noisy during the day(thankfully the gate is closed at night.) Equipment is average: our gas stove had exactly 1 1/2 burners that functioned. A non stick pan was so scratched and beaten up that it was no longer useable. (Housekeeping replaced it with something gently used.) Despite a promise from the concierge "it will be fixed before tonight"there was no action to repair the stove.
If you are willing to put up with some imperfections, this place makes a good base to explore Kauai.

Room Tip: Ask for a location well away from Lei O Papa Road
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharlotteKelowna
Reviewed 17 February 2013

*Blankets in the unit were torn and stained. *Pillows were nasty under a pillow cover.
*Both bed covers were stained and comforters weren't change
*Sofa pillows stained and smelly
*Wooden windows were filthy and moldy.
*Sides of furnitures very dusty
*Stove top has burnt food
*Oven racks were not clean
*Chipped porcelain dinnerwares
*Frying pan all scratched up
*Some knives on the block were rusty
*Missing bouillon spoons
*Rock glasses white streaks that's been stuck there for ages
*Windows sills filled with dead bugs and dust
*Patio railings lots of cobwebs
*Carpet stained and tack strips cut my son's toe
*Shower drain has a fowl smell
*Vanity light covers very dusty
*Vacuum bag was full by the laundry area
*Draperies seemed like it never gotten wash since unit was renovated
*Maids were yelling at each other in their own language from different cottages

• Stayed January 2013
14 Thank jgellan
Falher, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2013

we got to stay in the handicapped unit (505) even though none of us were... very nice cottage, clean and very spacious. Large bedrooms with lots of closets king size beds. Modern decor. We loved it... also loved the chickens which are everywheres on that island.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank peppie1674291
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
St. Regis Princeville Resort
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
#1 of 12 in Princeville

Been to Makai Club Resort? Share your experiences!