“Great food and wine ... but so/so service”
Review of Kauai Grill

Kauai Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Kauai Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 25 Restaurants in Princeville
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kauai Grill is a comfortable yet elegant hideaway with sweeping views of Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai. The seasonal menu is composed of a wide selection of hand-crafted dishes created from flavors found here on the Garden Island of Kauai with the highest quality of meats and freshest local fish available. Simply grilled preparations accompanied by bold condiments anchor the Kauai Grill experience at The St. Regis Resort Princeville.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This restaurant is located in the St. Regis Princeville and is one of the only "designer" chef establishments on the island. The menu of this Jean-Georges restaurant does not disappoint. They offer a variety of options for all types of foodies. We did a tasting menu over the holidays and were not disappointed. Everything that was presented to us was great. While the food was amazing, the service was just ok. The staff needs some training on how to provide service at a restaurant of this caliber. It wasn't bad service, just not great. They seemed a bit understaffed and there were times when we had to ask for our server to see where our next course was. Not what you would expect from a Jean Georges place. We also did the wine pairing. The wines were very good, but the presentation was a bit lackluster. The server didn't know how to pour wine, so we had red drips on our table. He was also confused when we asked to see the bottle to see what we were actually drinking. When asked about the wine, he was not able to provide much detail other than the name of the wine. Perhaps this restaurant has a sommelier on staff, but we did not see one, nor did one come over to visit our table. That being said, the food and wine was great.

The setting is beautiful, but you need to make sure to get the right table to make the experience really memorable. When we checked in for our reservation we asked for a table by a window. The hostess proceeded to bring us to a table in the back of the restaurant with no view, despite all of the other tables in front by the windows being opened. I asked to be moved and she moved us up one row. I happened to notice a booth for 4 that was adjacent to the windows with a great view of Hanalei Bay and asked to be moved to that location. She informed me that was for guests with reservations .... to which I responded ... yes I know ... I had my Amex concierge make my reservation too and since no one is sitting there, I would like the seat ... after some back and forth she did seat us there. I am convinced that the restaurant staff were trying to keep us to the back as we were dining with two young children and they wanted to give this more desirable table to adults who would more appreciate it ... that being said ... after the battle ... the views and food were great.

There is nothing better than having a glass of Champagne overlooking the bay at sunset. The light show is just magical.

The only suggestion that I would have for this place is that they need to send guests home with a small snack or take home item. In most restaurants of this caliber, you get a parting gift, such as cookies, macaroons, etc. This little touch would make the experience spectacular.

Be prepared for a really big bill at the end of the night, but if you are a foodie looking for a good meal, it is worth it.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was taken back by the beautiful scenery. Not only was the scenery amazing, the food was extraordinary. The staff couldn't have been more helpful in choosing the best meals! I loved it here and would definitely go back. It is a must visit while in Princeville!!!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was an "OK" dinner, which--for a restaurant of this caliber--is a miss, in my opinion.

My wife's fish was overcooked and there were a couple of service misses that resulted in me calling the Manager to my table.

We've been to other Jean-Georges restaurants, including the beautiful Lagoon restaurant in Bora Bora... somehow that remote restaurant managed to do better.

Décor is "OK" / fine, modern, not--IMO--what it could be, given the spectacular view. Ceilings were somewhat low, we were seated in a booth at the back of the restaurant and couldn't see very well.

Not worth the money or--more importantly--the time. We only had a few days on the island... we regretted this choice given how great other options were.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Loved this place for dinner. We stayed at the hotel and had dinner there our first night along the windows with beautiful sunset views. Small plates instead of a full dinner. Very tasty and fun.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Oh yeah it is!!! The Family went there last week and had great time. Got there about 6:00 on a Thursday. Didn't need a reservation. Sat in a booth facing the Bay. Food was excellent, service was great. They were randomly giving out free apps. Some kinda lobster wrap. Good stuff it was. The manager was out on the floor visiting tables and seating guests. Water glasses always filled; used dishes removed. All around super experience. Make no mistake, it is pricey. We'll worth it.

1  Thank David m