“Name Change: It's now the Thai Lotus!”
Review of Tamarind Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

Tamarind Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Their e-mail address is tamarind.thai@yahoo.com
Reviewed 24 February 2013

OK, I hope someone can correct the name of the restaurant here, cuz it's been the Lotus Garden for a while now! Hubs & I have eaten here and gotten dinner entrees to-go on numerous occasions during our two-month stay in Princeville.

This fast food joint is right next door to Frederico's in the food court at the shopping mall. It's convenient, FAST and affordable. However, I have to add one more attribute: delicious! No kidding, I was surprised to get such spicy, tasty Thai food while here. The entrees allow some flexibility, too, what with the "filler" choices (chicken, prawns, tofu) and the curry types (green, red, yellow and Malaysian panang). The curry sauces are all very tasty, but a bit watery - more like a soup? The entrees are basic: filler, sliced celery, carrot, green bell pepper and onion. Even so, it's comfort food for me!

I was a bit disappointed in their pad thai, as the noodles seemed a bit clumpy, lukewarm and just not that tasty or interesting. They could zip it up a bit with tastier sauce, some crumbled peanuts, cilantro, lemon grass and Thai basil. Also, it should be served with wedges of fresh lime.

I like their Thai iced coffee because it has just the right amount of sweetness! Be forewarned that their jasmine green tea is delicious but SO HOT it will peel off the skin from your tongue. Somehow, they seem to brew that at 250 degrees F, and I'm not even sure that's scientifically possible! Come to think of it, the curry sauces are also SUPER hot, temperature-wise. I'd usually fish out the prawn, tofu or meat, and place that on my rice plate to cool off for 10 min. One thing you do know is that the food is cooked hot enough to kill any bug!

The steamed sea bass in Asian sauce is absolutely SUPERB!! No kidding! If you are patient, and can wait 20 min instead of 5-10, order this. It is not in the least bit spicy (which kind of disappointed my husband), but it is cooked to heavenly perfection, just flaky, fork-tender and melts in the mouth. The sauce is a simple teriyaki/soy sauce that the fish sits in. It's garnished with sliced scallions and cilantro. I think even Roy Yamaguchi would approve of this dish.

I actually ordered a single entree of the Asian steamed sea bass to-go on Valentine's Day. At home, I made an Asian salad and rice with sauteed vegetables and small chunks of pineapple. No kidding, it was the most delicious, romantic dinner imaginable!

Every single cashier has been extremely friendly, helpful with suggestions and explanations and just a pleasure to do business with.

1  Thank 1TahoeQueen
There are newer reviews for Tamarind Thai Restaurant

Reviewed 11 February 2013

This is a convenient take- out spot in Princeville and adjacent to a nice public dining area with occasional performers and music during the evening. Most entrees are $10 or less. The food? Well, the Phad Thai is pretty good, but the other dishes were mostly disappointing. That said, there isn't a whole lot of choices for inexpensive Thai and Chinese food on the North Shore, and the staff is friendly. If you go on a night with live performers, it can make for a pleasant inexpensive meal.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

I visit with friends and try a lot of foods ,thai food and chinese food because the onwer is thai lady with chinese husband ,I love orange chicken and thai ice tea ..sooo yummy..Have music too.

1  Thank Chanatcha Y
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We felt this was very low grade Thai food, and personally, the worst I have ever eaten all over the world. About the only thing to be said in its defense was that it was cheap! It would probably suit tourists on vacation and on a budget but don't expect to be blown away by exceptional food or service. There is a general eating area shared with other eateries there and one simply orders, pays, gets a number and then chooses an empty table to await the arrival of food. One in our party seemed to have his order forgotten and the staff had to be reminded. We will not be going back.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

Very close to where we stayed. Had the pad thai and spring rolls. Both were very tasty. My husband and I love Thai food and thought this place was great.