All reviews paved path bali hai beach chairs the kitchen north shore lock box boogie boards upstairs bedroom second story charcoal grill pizza pub first floor rental company entire unit hideaway beach washer dryer ocean view
Reviewed 9 November 2008

I had seen an earlier review of #224 at Pali Ke Kua. I (we) couldn't more heartily recommend it as a place to stay.
2 bedrooms, 2 floors.

We spent our honeymoon there, and returned again a year later. The location is phenomenal as you might have already read, if you've gotten this far. The development is perched on a bluff that looks towards Hanalei Bay/Princeville. You don't really see either place due to the terrain. It is a few minutes walk to Bali Hai restaurant/fun bar and the Princeville Hotel itself. It is very quiet up on the hill. When you go to sleep you hear the rush of the surf down below (it is a good sound, not intrusive). During both our stays, we have never been disturbed by ANY neighboring sounds. The condo was always comfortable, even through a spell of no trade winds in August.

There is a beach down below. It is a bit of a hike back up, and perhaps we were in better condition than the other folks who've commented on the walk, as we did not find it THAT arduous, but it will get you breathing hard. If you have problems with hills in your town, this walk might not be for you. The beach itself is rather nice. I snorkeled there several times, seeing all sorts of critters and used a boogie board to play around in the surf. Almost paddled around the point to the hotel. Both visits were in summer mos, and in winter the N. shore really picks up some waves, so perhaps that's the difference in the ability to swim there.

The place was spotless, plenty of pots/pans/dishes/glasses stocked. On your way up from the airport, you can stop in (forgot the name of the town...) at the Safeway and stock-up on food, tequila for the blender for the hot-tub.... Not too sure about how easy it is to get a reservation. When you look through the guest's experiences book, you'll see the same folks come back year after year (that's a good thing). I suspect if you're looking for Christmas week, you'll have to start early. But then again, the way things (economy) have been going these days, it might not be so bad.

There are lots of cute little cardinals and doves that will fly about with the strolling Nenes down in the grass. You can hoof-it/drive to Emma's Bath. Again, was low-time for waves, so we didn't see too much dangerous-looking. There IS a cove you COULD climb down to, the local kids seemed to. It has a peculiar shape that causes rather explosive movements of water. When I saw the kids being thrown around in it, I thought one had fallen, and I was going to have to try to fish him out. He did it by choice, but I still think he was an idiot. You won't ACCIDENTLY find yourself in this situation, you really have to TRY to get to the place.

The second first time we rented a 14ft Hobie Cat down south, can't remember the hotel, think it was Marriott. Not really worth the trouble as you are restricted to a small bay. The second time we had a surfing teacher meet us in Hanalei Bay, and that was fun, as neither of us had done it before. Again, it wasn't in the winter, then you have BIG waves.

Didn’t do the helicopter thing (I used to do THAT for a living), didn’t do the big-boat snorkel food tour thing either, but might next time. We mostly went for relaxation, and that is what we found. Didn’t have kids then, but I would think it’d be a great thing for them too.

We did TONS of hiking the first time, all sorts of stuff, the furthest away was Waiamea <sp> canyon, about 45mins (?). Most other hiking was much closer. The snorkeling is amazing when the water isn't too turbulent (it was clearer the first time, Sep, than in Jul/Aug), I imagine there is a seasonal thing to it. Best place we saw was Kee Beach, not too far away. We must have seen 10 or so turtles in addition to the usual hundreds of fish. You could get right up to them (the turtles), but we didn't want to bother them. The fish will eat out of your hand if you remember to bring some bread in a zip-lock baggie with you. Pick up a few waterproof disposable cameras at WalMart as you come out of Lihue!

There are a few good restaurants around, been a while, so I can't remember the names or towns. The island itself is known more for the nature thing, than the nightlife thing.

We've moved now, from CA, to the East Coast, and now to Europe, so it becomes increasingly more difficult to get out there, but we will return again, and we will stay at #224, the same folks still own it today. It's a great island, a great development and a great unit to stay in.

Date of stay: July 2005
4  Thank Paul084
Reviewed 25 October 2008

First I must confess I am extremely bias to anything in Princeville, I have stayed at several locations, Marc Hale Moi Cottages and Marc Pali Ke Kua as well as the Princeville Resort and Hanalei Bay Resort.

My opinion on where to stay in Princeville changes based on what you want to do. The views from Paki Ke Kua are by far the best and it is right next to the Saffron restaurant! The advantage of staying at the Marc Hale Moi is that you have beach access and a tennis court. Although the pool at the Hanalei Bay Resort is VERY unique the views from the rooms are hit an miss (sorry to make this a comparison) of course the Princeville Resort itself is extremely luxurious but was not in my budget for this trip.

This trip I am in Unit 225, very clean open unit on the second floor second to the last from the end. I booked through Marc Resorts website and got their eFare which was quite economical (http://MarcResorts.com). I am right now on the balcony watching the Surfers and Paddle-boarders below. Yesterday we saw a very large turtle in the water just below our unit, just waiting for everyone to get ready and then we are off to hike the trail along the Napali coast!

Date of stay: October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Stayed in August with my family of 4. The condo we received was separate from the other units, very close the the pool and restaurant. The grounds are beautiful with lots of trees and green grass. You can walk down a steep, paved path to one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. We had a view of Bali Hai and 4 waterfalls from the dining area. The unit had an loft with a bunk bed and a bathroom, perfect for the kids. Full kitchen with dishes/pots/pans, living room & dining room. The drawback to this unit is it doesn't get a lot of breeze flowing through and ends up a little warm with all the windows. No A/C, but fans kept us mostly cool. Quick drive to the north shore beaches or the Kilauea lighthouse. Front desk is open very short hours, but enables check-in with a lock box. Booked through Expedia as the Marc Resorts at Princeville. Remember the Pali Ke Kua name because that's what the sign on the street says.

Date of stay: August 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 2 October 2008

This is our second time to stay at the Pali Ke Kua, and in my opinion the sunsets are the best. Having a unit on the west side of the complex insures that you will have a wonderful show each night.

My husband and I stayed in Unit 109 which is a one bedroom unit. We love staying on the ground level, as it gives you the ease of simply walking out your lanai door to the cliff side. Without a/c, I don't think it gets as hot in the afternoon as the upstairs units.

We rented the unit direct from the owner via VRBO. She was very nice to deal with, and the transaction went smoothly. The unit is very clean and very nice, but it definitely needs updating. Some repairs and maintenance need to be done to various items/areas in the unit. Things are just starting to look dated, and you could tell that the unit just needs a good overhall.

But nonetheless, we were very pleased, and would recommend this complex to others.

Date of stay: September 2008
2  Thank Tabcolorado
Reviewed 6 September 2008

This was our third stay at PKK, which is our favorite condo complex on the North Shore of Kauai. My wife and I stayed at PKK#218 for a week in mid August 2008. Unit #218 is a 2nd floor end unit with a loft 2nd bedroom. The condo has a great view of sunsets and the north end of the Na Pali Coast (see photos taken from the lanai). Also, since this is an end unit that juts out slightly on a point of the cliff, in addition to the main views to the west, there is a view to the north from the dining area and the master bedroom. The position of this condo makes it a bit more private than some of the others, which is also a plus in my book. These facts, and the quality of the interior finish and furnishings, justify the premium in the rental rate. We heard our neighbors a few times, but it wasn’t really a problem. Our main company was the cute chirping geckos who shared the condo with us.

We like the west facing views the best (there are a number of buildings at PKK with north views, and there is unit 226 on “The Point” with fabulous north, east and west views). Bottom line: In my opinion, after unit 226, unit 218 offers the best views at PKK. Also, of the west facing units, the second floor units have the best views.

The only downside with the west-facing units like 218 is that in late afternoon, until the sun starts to set, these condos get direct sun to the interior of the unit and become quite warm (no A/C). So if you plan a sunset dinner, you might want to get takeout or prepare most of it ahead of time. During the summer, it can get rather warm if you are cooking in the kitchen in the early evening.

The furnishings in this condo are first rate. Very comfortable and in great condition. The owners web site - kauai-oceanfrontcondo.com - accurately depicts the interior of the unit (this unit can only be rented directly through the owner). Angela, the owner, was great to work with. She let us move our original dates by a week and also let us check out late on our last day, which was a huge advantage.

You will find almost everything you would have at home in this unit. Lots of kitchenware, drink coasters, cable TV, DVD player, 3-disc CD player, high speed Internet connection (cable provided), washer/dryer, books, games, puzzles, Hawaiian-themed videos. Lots of towels. Extra bed linens. Etc. Also stuff for the beach. Straw mats. Bogie boards. Good quality beach chairs. A couple of coolers. Etc. If I could change one thing, it would be the table and chairs on the lanai. They are very comfortable, but I found I was looking right at the railing while seated (I am 5’6”). I would have been happier with a bar height table with swivel bar chairs so I could enjoy the sunset unobstructed. That said, I would absolutely rent unit 218 again.

There is also a great little snorkeling beach, Hideways, at the base of the cliff, which is accessed by walking down a paved (most of the way) path. Even with the path, it is a steep hike, so the beach is not crowded. Thanks to our late check-out, on our last day we had time for one more visit to the beach and that happened to be the day a good-sized sea turtle decided to hang out and snack on the reef right off the beach. I met one of the long time owners of another PKK condo and she said we were real lucky because the turtles didn’t usually come so close to shore. I was able to get the best turtle photos (see photos) of all my trips to the Islands, so this made our stay extra-special.

There is a pool and hot tub. The pool area has been upgraded since our first visit to PKK. We only used it once this visit, and it was OK. Not at all crowded. I tried the hot tub, but the water temperature was set overly high, so it was impossible to relax and soak.

Overall, we really like PKK. Since the units are individually owned, the décor, upkeep, and furnishings can vary widely. If you can get recent reviews or photos of your specific unit, I would recommend it. In addition to renting directly from Angela, we have rented at PKK though Princeville Vacations and Kauai Vacation Rentals, and had good experiences with all three.

Date of stay: August 2008