“Ali'i Kai stay”
Review of Ali'i Kai Resort

and 1 more site!
Ali'i Kai Resort
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We just got back from Kauai. We stay in the condos at Ali'i Kai. The property is beautiful!!!!
We got in Saturday afternoon, and went to the welcome presentation Sunday morning. Shana gave a great presentation of all the activities available. We booked several zip line, kayak and snorkel, scuba (do the little class they offer at the pool), and the Blue Dolphin dinner cruise. All were great. Was worried about the dinner cruise and getting sea sick. It was GREAT!!! Shana was wonderful! GREAT at her job ! Was always smiling and happy to help with whatever we needed. She made us feel very comfortable and welcome. She was an absolute delight to work with.
AWESOME VACATION!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kpuckett
ResorTime1, Manager at Ali'i Kai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Hi kpuckett,
Thank you for staying with us at Ali'i Kai Resort. We're thrilled you enjoyed our property and had a wonderful stay. It's great to learn of all the fun activities you chose to do on your vacation. Zip lining, kayaking, snorkeling and scuba sound like a blast! We're pleased Shana was able to assist you with any questions you may have had. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in Hawaii!

Rosalie McDonnough

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Our trip was in May of 2013. There were 5 of us so we had to use sofa bed, which after one night and no sleep didn't get used again. It was so caved in the middle that thank goodness we liked each other, would have been miserable!!! They did give us an air mattress after complaining. The Sunday "meet and greet" was good except the fact that the anniversary of the light house was the same day and NO ONE told us about it, even though their children were in the parade. The check in girl, Shayna, was beyond rude!!! She was all about taking money for events, but acted like it was a bother to her and she was WAY above us. We were on a first floor unit, and the person(s) upstairs woke us every morning, by either have extremely loud sex or it was a man with prostate problems unable to urinate, because the moaning was LOUD!!! The unit did have washer and dryer if you needed to wash a single item at a time. I am all about nature and critters, but when we couldn't even go on the lanai because of the birds and bird droppings, that is a little much for me. The view was gorgeous, but not when getting attacked by chickens and Neese!! The location for us was good as you can do the whole island in a day and a local store was near by. The furniture was very out dated, reminded my of Maimi Vice type furniture. Those that have vision problems will not be able to watch the 19 TV unless you are sitting right in front of the tv!! The main bathroom itself is VERY small, had to move out of way to close the door!! Lets see what else went wrong, Oh the blow dryer in master bath started smoking and almost caught fire--they did replace that but I had to go to office to pick up. They only gave 4 towels and wash clothes and refused to replace or give new ones even with 5 people there. Limited parking, pool-nothing special. Grills only one worked. I would not recommend this place at all!!!!

Room Tip: My tip would be to look elsewhere and spend a little more!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank notahappycamper5

Hi notahappycamper5,
We're regret to hear of your stay with us at Ali'i Kai Resort. We're sorry to hear of your concerns, however, feedback such as yours help us to provide our future guests with better experiences. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your stay and invite you to email us at rmcdonnough@gpresorts.com. We hope to speak with you soon.

Rosalie McDonnough

Reviewed 6 June 2013

This set of condos is all downstairs and away from the ocean. None are updated. The size is not terrible, but the early 80's furniture and decor are worn out. There is no apparent sound separation to other units, no housekeeping concern with the number of Mosquitos they let in the room to bite and nag at a person, and little clear recourse for any questions. This is not a resort, more akin to having a low-rent apartment for a week. We would recommend this only for families who spend their day away from their room. Definitely not worth the points it cost.

Room Tip: Alii Kai is a condo park with VRBO units, permanent residents and a limited number of Grand Pacific...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My husband and I stayed in Unit 8-A at Alii Kai II from May 4-11, 2012. We were very pleased with our unit. We were hoping not to be on the bottom floor, but it didn't seem like there was anyone in the room above us all week. The grounds were beautiful and well manicured. Chickens and other birds came right up to our sliding glass door, but we avoided feeding them anything, as the resort specifically asked us not to. We were a little concerned with the unit not having A/C, but it was fine most of the time. It was slightly warm at night, but the ceiling fans helped a lot! It was very nice having a full kitchen with all of the amenities, including washer and dryer in unit. Our unit was close to the pool and hot tub. I never ventured into the pool, but the hot tub was nice (and big)! On Monday, there was an orientation in the morning and a potluck that evening, both at the pool. I'd only recommend the orientation if you are still looking to book adventures while on the island. We already had everything booked and ready to go, so it wasn't a huge help to us. We decided to go to the potluck that evening, which was nice. Captain John played his ukulele and sang traditional Hawaiian songs, so that was enjoyable. The location of Alii Kai was spectacular! We loved being on the North Shore and after visiting the South Shore, we were even more convinced that we had picked the best place on the island to stay! It was close to Hanalei Bay and to the hikes on the Na Pali coast. The only minor inconvenience was having to drive the same road to get everywhere, but the island is absolutely beautiful, so the scenery never got old! It was also nice being right next to Foodland (North Shore's main grocery store) and Lappart's Ice Cream, both of which we frequented often during our trip. All in all, Alii Kai was a great resort in a great location and I would recommend it to others considering a trip to the beautiful island of Kauai.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2013

My wife and I stayed two weeks at this resort from late January into February 2013. I can only say Wow! Everything was very modern and immaculate. The staff immediately made us feel like we had known them all our lives. The grounds are nicely landscaped and the Princeville location is second to none. All I kept thinking was "How can I live here?" A nice grocery store is very near as is Hanalei Bay and all the beauty that Northern Kauai offers. This is the second time we have stayed at a resort that is managed by "Grand Pacific Resorts". Customer Service and attention to detail is definitely their strong suit. I would never hesitate to stay at any of the resorts run by them.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spartan77
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This review is for VRBO 254367 Unit Alii Kai 4203. This is a beautiful unit! If I were the owner I'm not sure I'd rent it. I'd want to be there all the time myself. See the photos on the VRBO website. The buildings sit high on a cliff with ocean views from the living area and both bedrooms. My husband and I and another couple stayed here. It was perfect for 2 couples. We appreciated the owner's book collection which included several helpful books on Kauai overall and specifically a good one on hiking there. Our contact was all on VRBO and direct with the owner. They were prompt in responding to our questions.

There is a tricky path down the hill to a beautiful, very small sand cove. When we did it the path was dry. We were rewarded to see a monk seal resting in the sand there. We watched whales from the lanai. (Although not as numerous as in Maui.)

We bought dinner at the Foodland several nights and just enjoyed evenings in the condo. There aren't a huge number of restaurants in Princeville. We ate out only one night and that was for pizza in Kileaua. It was good, not great. There is a great restaurant called Common Grounds also in Kileaua. We ate lunch there. I don't know whether it is open for dinner.

It's a healthy walk to the St Regis but we did that one evening. Take a flashlight if you'll be returning after dark. Drink service at the St Regis was slooow.

Kauai is a beautiful island. There are lots of nice beaches and some challenging hiking, I like that, even in the south part, it doesn't have nearly the tourisity feel or the hotel clogged beaches of Oahu and Maui.

Room Tip: This unit is so lovely, enjoy and take good care of it as if it were your own.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I and another couple recently returned from spending a wonderful week at this beautiful condo on the north shore of Kauai. We debated whether to stay on the north or south side but in the end I'm so glad we decided on the north. The beaches were beautiful, the area seemed less touristy and it truly felt as if we were "away from it all". The condo is close enough to Hanalei Bay and its cute shops and restaurants, and the Foodland Grocery store in Princeville Shopping Center is minutes away.

The condo is in the back of the Alii Kai 1 section overlooking the ocean. The ocean breeze and sound of the waves lulled us to sleep each night. It's impossible to describe how beautiful the view from the balcony is. We counted 15 whale sightings one morning while enjoying our coffee. The size was perfect for 2 couples. The furniture is high quality and all of the rooms are spotless. The owners have thought of everything - guide books, snorkeling equipment, beach chairs and towels, spices and kitchen appliances - even a panini press! (The Foodland has pre-made paninis in its deli department that were very good. We bought them one afternoon and heated them up on the press back at the condo - yummy!)

I can't say enough about Sandra and Laurence's helpfulness both before our trip and while we were there. (Laurence even called us on our first morning after arrival to make sure everything was okay.) We took him up on his recommendation to visit the Hanalei Gourmet one night for dinner and arrived for the tail end of Happy Hour and a round of $5 Mai Tai's. For dinner, I had the charbroiled Pork Loin which was tasty. I was jealous though of everyone else's Beer Battered Fish and Chips - clearly the better choice.

Beginning up at Ke'e Beach, we tried to hit most of the beaches on the north shore. Tunnels was our favorite for snorkeling (the marine life was amazing!) But all agreed that Secret Beach was the most beautiful and well worth the 5 minute hike down to it.

During our stay we fit in: Ziplining at nearby Princeville Ranch Adventures, hiking the Kalalau Trail to Hanakapi'ai Beach (it took us 3 hours, there and back), a helicopter ride (we used Safari and were satisfied with the outfit), and a visit to Waimea Canyon. My husband did a shore scuba dive (the surf was too high for a boat dive), and hiked down to Turtle Cove. The men golfed one day at nearby Prince Golf Course which they said was spectacular. We also had delicious burgers at the Tavern overlooking the course. The encrusted Mahi at CJ's was primo.

We would definitely recommend this property to others and would love to rent it ourselves if we're lucky enough to visit Kauai again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carry-on223
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville
The Cliffs at Princeville
#2 of 12 in Princeville

Been to Ali'i Kai Resort? Share your experiences!