Message from TripAdvisor:

“Unexpected Disaster @ Sealodge D10”

and 1 more site!
Sealodge at Princeville
Munhall, Pennsylvania
“Unexpected Disaster @ Sealodge D10”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Sealodge D10

Let me start this off by saying that I am not quite sure who is to blame for our experience at this condo. Is it Sealodge's fault because they are in close proximity to the condo and can see what it is like? Or is it the management company which lives in California and who knows how often they are able to see the condition of the condo?

Let's talk security...

Yes, you are able to lock the deadbolt when you are in the condo and therefore no one can get in. However, if you are leaving the condo, as I imagine you will since you are in Kauai, you have to punch a code into the keypad located on the door. Which brings me to problem #1. We arrived at 3:30 ready to punch our code in only to find the door ajar. We entered cautiously as we were told it would be locked. No one was there. My husband tried several times to punch the code in to lock the door to no avail. My husband called the management company and he was informed that "Steve" would be there to fix it. My husband asked what time Steve would be at the condo. The woman replied, "I can't tell you that." We sat in the condo waiting for Steve to show up for 4 hours. Needless to say, Steve never showed. At this point my husband called the management company again and left a message stating we were leaving. (For more reasons than the lock but more on that later.)

Management réponse to problem #1:
The next day the same lady called and left a message. She claimed that someone called us 5 times but we didn't answer. My husbands' cell phone never rang. Perhaps she called the line at the condo, which was disconnected from the wall and hanging from the top of the entertainment stand not connected to anything. She also made the comment that we could use the deadlock and be perfectly safe. Yes, if we never planned on leaving the condo. She also stated that we "ran scared because the door wouldn't lock." Yes, we didn't want all of our belongings to be stolen out of the condo when we left the condo. On a side note, our own home had been robbed only a month earlier.

Let's talk cleanliness....
Urine is not a smell I particularly like to smell when I am anywhere. This condo smelled like someone peed on the seats or the couch. I understand there is no air and it might get musty but this wasn't must, this was straight urine. I've also included pictures of the two fans that were left to help alleviate the no air conditioning situation. And yes, we were fully aware there was no air conditioning so we aren't complaining about that. The one fan was rusty and covered with dust that might have been older than me. The other fan was in the same condition. And I'm sorry, I'm on my honeymoon so I'm not cleaning off fans covered in dust so I can use them. The shower curtain had mold on it. And not really a matter of cleanliness but the shower curtain rod still had the sticker on it. You can't take it off, really? The tub was dirty. And the pots that were left for us to cook with were dirty. They had black spots all over the bottom of them.

There is no response from the management to this issue because they weren't made aware of it. We were more concerned about our safety.

There were also several lights that didn't work. Perhaps that's what happened to the phone line that was called 5 times that we never heard.

Needless to say we drove through Tropical Storm Iselle to go back to the Sheraton on the other side of the island.

We found ourselves saying, "If we can just make it for 5 days..." But this was our honeymoon and I wasn't interested in just making it.

Not only did the overall condo not meet our standards but neither did the way we were treated by the management company. I understand you already got our money but that doesn't mean we should be treated like trash.

Room Tip: We keep our air conditioning at 72 at night and this place is not cool! Yes, we know there isn't...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JillLovesBoston

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I can't believe some of the bad reviews of this place! We rented unit C2 and were very happy, but also were out and about all the time and not in the unit that much. The view was to die for, and the C building had straight on oceanfront views. Even the kitchen window had a great mountain view.
Pros: Excellent location, relatively cheap price for North Shore, especially ocean front! Well appointed with snorkel gear, extra pillows, beach towels, etc. Loved laying on the window seat bed looking out at the ocean and watching the sunrise from right outside on the bluff (hey, we were on East Coast time and up early). This place felt like our own paradise, we hardly saw another person the whole time even though by the evening the parking lot was almost full.
Cons: Did find that noise carried a lot from upstairs unit. Our neighbors weren't too noisy but if you had late night neighbors above you I can see how it would be a problem. NO air-conditioning but the the cross breeze is excellent. However, I still would like the option of AC at night for privacy.
Also not to be forgotten: the beach at the place was GORGEOUS! Calm, turquise with some large boulders that were fun for playing on to one side. Lots of shade from trees and a good place to wait out a passing shower. The walk is quite a steep hill but not too long. With the crazy parking in high season at other beaches if you didn't get there early, it was nice to have this beach option!

Room Tip: We booked with Hestara and had no problems. Had read some previous reviews about bed linens seeming...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

RENTED CONDO # D9

I gave this 3 stars instead of 2 because the view is really stunning. Also, when I contacted the owners explaining that I was unhappy with the place, they did send someone to try to fix some of the issues.

For the price, this place is not worth it.

*The "pool" is the size of a large bath.
*I was specifically looking for a place that had a BBQ. I like to buy fish at the market and make my own fresh fish tacos. The owner confirmed there was a BBQ area. The "BBQ area" was not made up of BBQs, it was a flat piece of concrete in an area in the woods that we were allowed to purchase charcoal and bbq utensils and cook like cavemen. It took an hour to make hot dogs. (When i complained to owners, they had bbq utensils delivered. I appreciate the effort, but since it took me an hour to make hot dogs, I wasnt going to BBQ the full rack of ribs or any of the fish I bought. We wasted a couple hundred dollars on meats, fish and condiments we would not use)
*Lots of ants and a few roaches
*Bathroom door did not close. This was my first vacation with a new boyfriend- how mortifying!
*There were only 2 pillows; both my boyfriend and I like sleeping with two each so it wasn't ideal.
*The bed was literally the hardest bed I have ever slept in. I had back and neck issues for a couple weeks afterwards.

Strongly recommend spending a bit more for a nice hotel or rent a condo somewhere else. I spent the following week in Poipu and it was AMAZING and was in the same price range, see Island Oasis Suites.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
mesa, arizona
Reviewed 7 August 2014

After a long day of travel and a little issue getting my rent a car from Budget- we arrived at around 5:30pm to our unit. The view, is amazing, cannot be beat. The coconut palms swaying the ocean from ear to ear. Perfect... but the unit had been closed all day, and with NO air conditioning, it was more than a little hot, it was steamy. We opened up all the windows and turned on all the fans . We took a walk down to the beach, but it is more of a hike than a walk and I would not suggest that anyone that has difficulty with steep slopes or in some cases a little fear of heights go down there. For us, it was no problem and the beach makes you feel like Tom Hanks from Castaway.. most of the time you have it all to yourself. Over to the end you can hop off into a deeper area where you can snorkel, but it is not a beach for swimming.. the low tide means that you will reach coral, beautiful coral at 1 foot deep. We came back to our unit that night to find that our location is perfect for watching the sunset.. not just for us, but several others gathered outside our windows.. so if you are ok with feeling like you are in a fishbowl, from the inside or fine with socializing,, not problem. It would have been better to be one unit up, in the second floor as this unit is the closest to the trail to the beach and each morning, you'll see a few people walk by as you are enjoying the view with a cup of coffee. By the third day, I was over it.. I mean, the view is amazing, so I put up with a few people walking by now and then and fewer people showed up for the sunset as the week went by. At night you have to keep the windows open... again.. remember, no AC... you can hear the waves, the palm trees the breeze and if someone walks by, they are only a couple feet away.. kind of freaky. Again, bottom floor. Again, but mid week, we were ok with it.. it cooled off a bit and the winds picked up. It was a very warm week while we were there and only saw a drop of rain on the day we were leaving. Sort of rare I would guess, and going in, I knew that there was no AC, but on previous trips, the temperature was more mild. This time not so much, so we enjoyed our days at the beach and on the boats.

The unit is well furnished. We had purchased a few beach towels, but found that it wasn't necessary, they were there, along with everything you need for the beach. The fridge was stocked with a couple of bags of ice.. I really appreciated that, to cool off that first day. All the pans, utensils cups, glasses etc. are there.. there is a dishwasher and a washer and dryer, I don't know how I missed that when we made the reservations, or I would have packed even lighter, but it was nice to wash a few things when needed.

The grounds are well kept and the location was very quite, I never heard another person at night or for the most part during the day. I did get used to a few people taking the hike to the beach and gave them an 'aloha' as they passed. You know sometimes that first day, you get a little grouchy from the travel and anything little thing can get you upset. Being warm was the start, but my wife, son and I felt very comfortable by the middle of the week, nights were cooler and the mornings were awesome.

My son and I enjoyed the pool it was clean and refreshing, and you get a little view of the mountains as well as the ocean of course. It's not large, but it is not crowded either, so perfect for a quick dip.

Just a few sidenotes.. the internet was great, the Concierge was Awesome, she set us up with a couple of boat trips.. a dinner cruise from Port Allan on the other side of the island a fun snorkeling trip set out from Hanalei Bay on a Zodiac. We swam with sea turtles.. pretty luck!

Would I got back? By the end of the trip, I wanted to buy the place and install an AC unit.. just a small one, or maybe even a portable unit to throw a chill in the air. We live in Arizona where it's hot, but one thing we do well is AC :)

So, just to recap.... Nicely furnished, comfortable with AMAZING Views, a lack of privacy and on hot days, it's hard to take with no A/C, but I don't think any of the units in SeaLodge have A/C and probably not too many of the houses do either. So there you go.

See the photos, we had a rainbow one day pop up right over the unit.

Room Tip: I think you see it in my review.. this place is great, just realize that there may be some drawbacks...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cottonwood, Arizona
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed the Sealodge, specifically, J4. The ocean views over the cliffs were very nice. The condo itself watos small but more than adequate for two and very well appointed. They had very nice beach chairs, cooler, beach towels, snorkeling gear, etc.
The bed was very comfortable and the sounds of the ocean breeze with the palm trees outside were a nice sound to sleep to.
It was a little hot and A.c. would be nice, but we found the fans worked well enough.
The complex could use more modern Bbq facilities. The lone, rudimentary, charcoal grill area for that large of a complex is really puzzling, but not the condo owners fault.
We loved the north shore area and Princeville in general (tunnels beach, Hanalei Bay, Na'apali coast, are awesome. When we return, we will look to they to return to j4.8

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Sea lodge (unit b5 Parish collection) the middle of February 2014. We absolutely loved the property. Waking to the sound of the ocean and that view, just awesome! It was quiet and relaxing the beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms were nice as well. The kitchen was stocked well, closet had beach towels coolers and chairs. The only things I would change is the cushion on the couch ( it is very thin and not comfortable) also to add a BBQ grill for outdoor cooking. We checked in late, and the key was easy to access at the drop box just as promised. There is a great little beach with snorkeling at the bottom of the hill, just a short hike down. This can be a bit slippery after a rain. We found it pretty safe to snorkel even in the winter, the waves break on the reef before the cove. I would not recommend going out too far on days of rough seas. We seen lots of fish and sea life while there. We did not have an issue with the unit being too hot like some reviewers but we also were not there in the summer.... There was a nice breeze most part of the day to sufficiently keep it cool. Grocery store not too far and small strip mall nearby. I would however recommend a car to get around. We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed January 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 20 July 2014

B4 was absolutely a perfect spot for us. First of all, staying on the North Shore is a must. B4 is a little like a tree house with all new appliances, furniture, bedding, etc. Everything was very clean. They DO have a washer/dryer, beach chairs, a beach umbrella, a boogie board, a cooler and beach towels, which was so convenient for our beach trips. Geri, the manager, was pretty curt over emails, but they were relatively hands off. They will make you go to town to print your parking permit if you forget to bring it with you (which is kind of ridiculous since it's just a blank form). The Sealodge beach is also neat- a little bit of a hike, but secluded. Not a place for swimming due to the reef. We'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vintagelizzie1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
#1 of 12 in Princeville
Hanalei Colony Resort
Hanalei Colony Resort
#1 of 1 in Hanalei

Been to Sealodge at Princeville? Share your experiences!