“Outstanding neighbor island experience!”

Waimea Plantation Cottages
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had an opportunity to stay at this place when we went to Kauai for a fundraiser golf tournament at St. Theresa School, Kekaha, Kauai. There were 6 of us staying at the Plantation Cottages.

The layout of the property is excellent. Everything seems to be "right there" - walking to the restaurant, going for stroll, heading to the beach, going for a dip in the swimming pool, etc. We used their BBQ pits to prepare hamburgers & hotdogs - very convenient. Their daily linen service was consistent. Great customer service! All their cottages come with a complete kitchen - the appliances, plates, utensils, etc.

We're looking forward to a family reunion in the near future at this very same location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Antonio B
There are newer reviews for Waimea Plantation Cottages

Reviewed 19 July 2013

This is probably nearing my 10th visit to the Cottages and each time there is the adventure of wondering which cottage I'll be staying in. I have never ever been disappointed. All have had privacy, a bath tub and glorious views (no cars!). The location guarantees warm dry weather and guests who prefer tranquility over bling. This is a perfect complement to the Vegas-like charms of Waikiki. And I love Oahu but for me, this is the 'real' Hawaii. Use the cottages as a base for trips to the Waimea Canyon or Polihale, or do as I do; come here with a stack of books and a load of urban stress, sit on the lanai, watch the chickens, admire the wondrous trees and leave 15 years younger and happier!

Room Tip: All cottages are different. Remember direct ocean front might mean 24/7 wave action so it might not...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank mermaidsblood
Reviewed 9 July 2013

If you love lying in a hammock, and listening to the tradewinds rustle the palms, then this is the place for you! BUT...bring your own pillow! The pillows are huge & very hard, so pack your own if you are a "pillow person." Also, the pictures they have on their site are of the fanciest unit, the "regular" ones are funky & charming. See my attached photos. They were built in the late 1800's & early 1900's with tiny little floor tiles, shelves, not cupboards in the kitchen, push-button lights, etc. As the various sugar cane plantations closed, the cottages were moved to this location, thus the various styles. We ate all of our meals on our porch (Unit #68) looking at the sea, hammock & watching the chickens. VERY relaxing! Next time, I would definitely get a unit with AC.

Room Tip: Choose ocean view, for sure & ask for AC! We loved unit # 68.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank auntgretchen
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Plantation is one of those back-in-time experiences that delivers on the original nature of the property without any pretense. Welcoming, laid back, quaint, all these descriptors are true to the feeling of being part of how life slows down near the end of the road on the west end of Kauai. While maintaining a sense of the past, the staff and services are anchored in the present with great food, craft beer and a pristine environment, expertly maintained. The drive up to Wiamea Canyon or over to Barking Sands Beach are easy hops. While a bit out-of-the-way, that would be the point of picking the Plantation. Easy to stay, hard to leave, the Plantation goes beyond a room and a bed to give you a taste of the traditional Hawaiian way of life.

Room Tip: Closer to the ocean the better
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jay r
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I loved it here. We stayed a few nights on this side of the island before heading up to the northeastern part of the island for the bulk of our trip--which was a good plan. It really depends on what you plan on doing with your trip as to how happy you will be here. I would probably give this place five stars because it was so unique, so quaint, and so quiet, but, the bed really was not comfortable (and that is kinda important) and the air conditioner was so loud blasting over the top of my head at night that it was difficult to sleep. I was grateful for the air conditioning, because I see that not all cottages have it, but it was really loud and consisted of a window unit over the bed (not able to curl up in bed with a book without banging your head on the air conditioner! LOL). And I really liked the chickens during the day, but people aren't kidding when they say those things seem to never sleep--and they would crow at 4 am directly under our bedroom window (it is really funny now, but not so much at the time). At first I was disappointed because we were given a cabin on the outer perimeter and without an ocean view, but, this turned out to be great because we had complete privacy--unless we ventured toward the center areas or the beach, we never saw anyone but the maintenance crew (who, by the way, do a wonderful job of daily keeping things natural looking without letting fruit rot, etc.). Yes, they could do a little more in the bathroom so that I would have had some place to set my hair stuff and toiletries (would be easy to find or make a simple three shelf stand), but we had plenty of space, hot water, and it was clean--well-used, but clean. I loved that things were a little worn around the edges. There were antiques mixed with not too terrible Hawaiian tacky (it felt vintage, not ugly!). The overall feel of the inside of the cottage was that someone modernized it in the forties, and has done very little since --other than put a microwave on a side table, and two air conditioning units in the windows. I would be afraid to make a lot of suggestions for improvements because I wouldn't want anyone coming in and modernizing away the quaintness. I do suggest requesting air conditioning if you will be there in the summer--by noon it is hot. But in the morning, we shut everything off and opened up all the doors...sat on the back porch in my pajamas--ate my fresh fruit on the steps--listened to the birds, and inspected whatever had blossomed since the night before--it was my favorite part of the day. I loved this place. I would go back. I would be a little more knowledgeable now about asking for exactly what I want, but I am not sure that exists since every cottage is unique. I should mention my husband would not want to return here--mostly because of the issues with the air conditioning and the roosters--he didn't sleep well. We did get out the box fan we had purchased in the Lihue Wal-Mart on our last night, turned the air conditioning off in the bedroom and slept that way (there was a ceiling fan, and the living room had a window unit as well--this is what we should have done all along). I imagine heating and cooling is quite difficult--we could see daylight between the pine floorboards in the kitchen, but I would not have had it any other way. If you are going to stay on this side, this is the place to stay. And I cannot emphasize enough that you will be in a seriously small place. I am from a small town (under twenty thousand)--and it is SMALL here. I was worried that there weren't enough decent restaurants in Waimea--I shouldn't have bothered. If you are only here for a few nights (or even a week), you will survive just fine eating at the Shrimp Station, Island Taco, CJ's Steakhouse, and whatever you fix for yourself. You have great shave ice at Jo-Jo's. Bring a good book, two swimsuits, a pair of flip-flops, several t-shirts and a couple pairs of shorts--what else do you need? I brought twice as many clothes and shoes as I needed--and that was even considering that I would need "resort wear"--what a joke--I like to dress up, but if you pack a sundress and flip flops, you will be as dressed up as you ever need to be. Oh, yes, and don't bother with your laptop--reception is bad almost everywhere on the island--this may bother you at first (it did me), but eventually you will get used to it--hey, you are on vacation! And for reference, we stayed in cottage number 33--it would be helpful to check a map and request a specific cottage that suits your needs.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank bobbi222
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was our second trip to Kauai this year and have stayed in Princeville, Lihue, and Wiamea. We love the cottages being very laid back not the tourist trap or to snooty like up north can be. Right on the beach. Clean cabins open air can sleep with all the windows open and the Hawaiian breeze flowing through your cabin. Restaurant onsite serves great food one of the best on this side of the island. Overall highly recommend for the true Hawaiian experience and will come back on future trips.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jgreen80
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We spent 4 days here recently and loved it so much we were seriously depressed about having to leave and shift to the other side of the island. We stayed in #51 and loved it. Yes, it's all very vintage, but it met all our basic needs and we really loved the calm feel of 'old Hawaii'. It's warm in the afternoons but the fans run all day and I actually found it very pleasant and would never expect AC in these conditions. The wide porches are fantastic - for bird watching, reading, looking out over the ocean. The grounds are lovely with a big hammock strung between two coconut palms and a nice pool.
The only thing we didn't like was the restaurant - it was pretty bad, and a shame because they have such a lovely setting. Just skip it and buy food in town; the kitchens are well supplied with whatever you need and there are grills, too.
It's such a great spot, not only a lovely space to be in just on it's own but also remarkably close to the dock for Napali Coast tours and the road to Waimea Canyon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank scdesil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Waimea Plantation Cottages? Share your experiences!