It depends on what you're looking for. As other reviewers have stated, this is a very different kind of property than the big resort hotels like the Sheraton or Marriott back in Poipu. WPC consists of a collection of wooden, frame construction, 1940s vintage cottages laid out a beautiful beachfront setting, just on the western edge of the village of Waimea. The cottages vary in size, and are all the former living quarters of sugar plantation workers; these cottages were moved here after the sugar plantations shut down. This is definitely a ‘get away from it all’ place, but the most important thing you need to understand is that these cottages are RUSTIC. Other reviewers have mentioned bugs and spiders (not just webs) and if that sort of thing bothers you, don’t stay here. On my most recent stay I shared my cottage with at least three small gekkos. Since you will have your windows open at all times to get whatever breeze might exist, you will also experience a LOT of bird noise, most notably from the free range chickens that are literally everywhere. Many times roosters have awakened me in the middle of the night, because they don’t necessarily wait until dawn to crow. Some reviewers have also said the furniture is worn (true) and the places are clean (in my experience, sometimes yes, sometimes no). Some cottages have a window air conditioner in the bedroom, others do not, and it gets stifling hot during the daytime without a/c. All the units I’ve seen or stayed in have a full kitchen with stove, microwave and full sized refrigerator (no dishwashers) and the units come equipped with a basic set of cooking utensils, pots and pans, plates, glasses and silverware. My cottages have had regular 12 cup coffeemakers, not those cheesy one cup drippers most big hotels have switched to. Maid service comes every few days. Some units are larger than others, and there are a couple that are actual houses. They all have nice porches with outdoor furniture. There is a pool, a sand volleyball pit, a shuffleboard court and of course the beach, although the beach right at the cottages isn’t a very good one for swimming, because the Waimea river just to the east dumps muddy water into the ocean here. More on beaches below. The property also has a sports bar, Kalapaki Joe’s, which is a typical sports bar with good beer and fair food (see my separate review). If an outdoorsy, rural, rustic place to get away from it all is what you are looking for then this is the place for you, but be aware of what you’re getting and what the local area has to offer. Waimea Canyon is the only real attraction on this side of the island. Now about those beaches: There is a nice beach at MacArthur Park on the west side of Kekaha, about 3.9 miles west of WPC, or you can drive all the way to Polihale State Park at the end of the road to the west. It’s about 13.5 miles to Polihale. I do not recommend trying to go to Polihale unless you have a four wheel drive vehicle. The gravel/dirt road suddenly turns into deep soft sand, and you will get stuck. Going the other direction from WPC (back toward Lihue), you can find nice beaches in Poipu, which is about 18.5 miles away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you’re seeking more than a manufactured island vacation, where better than Kauai’s sunny, laid-back western shore? Nestled in the idyllic and friendly town of Waimea, our tropical oceanfront oasis offers you a Kauai from a gentler, more authentic time. One step onto our property and you’ll feel it. It’s in the air. The quiet seclusion, tranquil surroundings, soft welcoming smiles. It beckons to you with a simple invitation, “Unplug your mind, recharge your body and rejuvenate your spirit.” In our collection are 60 authentic plantation-era cottages, some dating to the late 1800’s, sharing a 27-acre tropical coconut grove along the ocean. Ranging from one to five bedrooms, no two cottages are alike and each has a personality of its own. Better yet, our oceanfront location gives you easy access to some of Nature’s most stunning landscapes, like Waimea Canyon (the Grand Canyon of the Pacific) and the Na Pali Coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Waimea Plantation Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Waimea Plantation Cottages Hotel Waimea
- Resortquest Waimea Plantation Cottages
- Waimea Plantation Cottages Kauai