I am a huge Four Seasons fan, they are my preferred hotels worldwide, and I've stayed at many all over the world. There is so much to love about the brand. However, a recent stay at Koele was a huge disappointment! I won't go back until things improve.
The Lodge at Koele is magnificent, I especially love the huge open "living room", and having come from Maui, it felt wonderful to have a fire going and the temperatures at Koele are much cooler, so be forewarned, bring long pants and a sweater.
Upon check in, our room, which was in the main living area, and an upgrade that I had to beg for, which is my huge pet peeve about Four Seasons, procuring an upgrade seems to be something I am unable to do, even though I have frequented their hotels for over 20 years. But, in this case, I lucked out and was given a big room with a wood burning fireplace. However, the air-conditioning wasn't working and the girl who escorted me up had no idea how it worked. The room was uncomfortably warm. I needed a nap, so I opened the door and windows and later asked to have the air-conditioning looked at. The maintenance man said that the "chiller" had been turned off and he went to some area above our room and turned it on.
Next evening we returned to our room to find "meat Locker" temperatures. I turned the a/c off, it was impossible to adjust at the thermostat for some reason. However, nothing worked and the cold air kept coming. At midnight we were so uncomfortably cold we phoned the front desk. A security man brought us a space heater and four blankets. We turned the heater on, put some blankets on the bed and were eventually able to sleep.
At breakfast on my first morning there, I order an egg dish, which was on the breakfast menu, it came with added mushrooms, though these were not listed as part of the ingredients in the dish. I am allergic to mushrooms. I had eaten a few bites before I saw the offenders and had some intestinal issues for part of the day.
The next day was Easter Sunday and after church we returned to the hotel, looking forward to their Easter Brunch. We found that the "brunch" was a set menu of three courses. I asked if I could have just the eggs, which was one of the choices and the server came back to say that the chef said that he could not do this, that I would have to pay for all three courses ($60) if I just wanted the eggs. The other option was their lunch menu, which didn't have eggs as an option. I asked one of the staff if he could intercede with the chef to see if I could get some kind of egg dish and he came back and said that I could have Eggs Benedict, which wasn't the Ahi Eggs Benedict which was on the special menu. That was fine with me.
I waited ONE HOUR to receive the egg dish. At no time did our server come to our table and tell us what was the problem in the kitchen. I am now wondering if I was being "punished" by the chef and made to sit and wait for my eggs?
I was told that I would be hearing from the Manager, but of course, I didn't. I much prefer to air my grievances DIRECTLY with a hotel, before I write a bad review, I feel that this is the fair way to handle things, but Four Seasons doesn't seem to care and doesn't appreciate a good customer, at least they don't appreciate me! A recent email asking me to fill out a review was deleted by me. Why bother?
Be forewarned also, you CANNOT USE THE POOL AT THIER SISTER HOTEL IN MANELE BAY. This is a new rule. You most likely won't use the pool at Koele, because a) it's not very inviting, and b) the weather is usually too cold.
This was my third stay at Koele, I have had consistent problems with the level of service in their dining room on all my stays. I would say it's the only Four Seasons where I have not had a good experience overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Resort is currently closed and is undergoing an exciting renovation program. We look forward to sharing details on our project and opening date in the future. Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele is the essence of unexpected Hawaii. Set in the verdant upcountry, The Lodge is reminiscent of a country manor, surrounded by towering pines and offering estate activities such as championship golf, horseback riding and clay shooting. Residential style accommodations are surrounded by manicured gardens. The wrap-around verandah is ideal for relaxing, while inside, guests can sit fireside for afternoon tea or delight in live nightly entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Seasons Resort Lana`i, The Lodge At Koele
- Four Seasons Resort Lana`i, The Lodge At Koele Hotel Lanai City
- Four Seasons Koele
- Four Seasons Lanai City
- Lanai City Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge At Koele Lanai, Hawaii