“Not a good visit this time!”

Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
New York City, New York
“Not a good visit this time!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I am a huge Four Seasons fan, they are my preferred hotels worldwide, and I've stayed at many all over the world. There is so much to love about the brand. However, a recent stay at Koele was a huge disappointment! I won't go back until things improve.
The Lodge at Koele is magnificent, I especially love the huge open "living room", and having come from Maui, it felt wonderful to have a fire going and the temperatures at Koele are much cooler, so be forewarned, bring long pants and a sweater.
Upon check in, our room, which was in the main living area, and an upgrade that I had to beg for, which is my huge pet peeve about Four Seasons, procuring an upgrade seems to be something I am unable to do, even though I have frequented their hotels for over 20 years. But, in this case, I lucked out and was given a big room with a wood burning fireplace. However, the air-conditioning wasn't working and the girl who escorted me up had no idea how it worked. The room was uncomfortably warm. I needed a nap, so I opened the door and windows and later asked to have the air-conditioning looked at. The maintenance man said that the "chiller" had been turned off and he went to some area above our room and turned it on.
Next evening we returned to our room to find "meat Locker" temperatures. I turned the a/c off, it was impossible to adjust at the thermostat for some reason. However, nothing worked and the cold air kept coming. At midnight we were so uncomfortably cold we phoned the front desk. A security man brought us a space heater and four blankets. We turned the heater on, put some blankets on the bed and were eventually able to sleep.
At breakfast on my first morning there, I order an egg dish, which was on the breakfast menu, it came with added mushrooms, though these were not listed as part of the ingredients in the dish. I am allergic to mushrooms. I had eaten a few bites before I saw the offenders and had some intestinal issues for part of the day.
The next day was Easter Sunday and after church we returned to the hotel, looking forward to their Easter Brunch. We found that the "brunch" was a set menu of three courses. I asked if I could have just the eggs, which was one of the choices and the server came back to say that the chef said that he could not do this, that I would have to pay for all three courses ($60) if I just wanted the eggs. The other option was their lunch menu, which didn't have eggs as an option. I asked one of the staff if he could intercede with the chef to see if I could get some kind of egg dish and he came back and said that I could have Eggs Benedict, which wasn't the Ahi Eggs Benedict which was on the special menu. That was fine with me.
I waited ONE HOUR to receive the egg dish. At no time did our server come to our table and tell us what was the problem in the kitchen. I am now wondering if I was being "punished" by the chef and made to sit and wait for my eggs?
I was told that I would be hearing from the Manager, but of course, I didn't. I much prefer to air my grievances DIRECTLY with a hotel, before I write a bad review, I feel that this is the fair way to handle things, but Four Seasons doesn't seem to care and doesn't appreciate a good customer, at least they don't appreciate me! A recent email asking me to fill out a review was deleted by me. Why bother?
Be forewarned also, you CANNOT USE THE POOL AT THIER SISTER HOTEL IN MANELE BAY. This is a new rule. You most likely won't use the pool at Koele, because a) it's not very inviting, and b) the weather is usually too cold.
This was my third stay at Koele, I have had consistent problems with the level of service in their dining room on all my stays. I would say it's the only Four Seasons where I have not had a good experience overall.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank 06222012a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Indonesian first
Wailuku, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Gentle, quiet lodge with Carnegie Hall symphonic music drifting from its lobby greeted us on our arrival. Courteous, helpful staff met all of our needs as we registered. Fresh pineapple/lemon juice was offered as we took care of checking in. Enormous first floor room was delightfully decorated with beautiful window treatments and comfy bed. Bathroom was roomy and well apportioned . We rented a jeep early on day 2 and drove to Garden of the Gods, a little tricky because of the rains the day before. Red hills and floating rocks covered the ground leading to vast cliffs and sparkling blue ocean. Returned to the Lodge for a yummy lunch; then proceeded to the Shipwreck Beach area. Take a camera with a telephoto lens and watch for the sea turtles that are chomping on the green seaweed that covers many of the rocks at shore break.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a spa day at beautiful Manele Beach Hotel. Shuttles run back and forth between Four Seaso...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ringaroundtherosie
Camarillo, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Although I have stayed at the Lodge at Koele, each time brings a wonderful new wonderful experience. This stay was no exception. We had a wonderful time. Each staff member made our stay a great one. My grand daughter (2 years 8 months) had a wonderful time riding a horse. Stable personnel were wonderful with her and she smiled all the time. Still talks about her ride and wants to go back.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Very quiet place so no noise to keep you awake. Beautiful setting. I always a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Ian W, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Aloha,

Mahalo for returning to the Lodge at Koele and sharing your most recent experience with us. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time and that your grand daughter also did. We will be sure to give the team at the stables kudos for your recognition. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

A Hui Hou,

Ian Williams
Hotel Manager
Ian.Williams@fourseasons.com
Albertville, Alabama
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a must stay if you have time and a multiple island trip in mind. It is a very laid back, relaxing experience. The staff is great and the grounds are amazing. You have access to both Four Season results with a shuttle to and from. The temperature at the Lodge rarely gets above 75 and then you can be shuttled to the Beach to enjoy the sunshine and the ocean with temps in the mid 80's. If you are a golfer, call first. The Manele Bay course is open but the Lodge course is being refurbished and is closed currently. The Lodge has tennis (rebound ace surface courts and is experimenting with a grass court. Horseback riding, and opportunities to explore the area are readily available through the concierge.

Portland OR
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Amazing service and quiet luxury, like authentic Hawaii used to be.
Service is the best!
This hotel in the quiet cooler area of the island, close to Lana'i City, where you
can get a meal or visit the Dole Museum. If you are looking for lots of sun and wild nightlife, this is not the place for you.
This hotel is best for Couples and Golfers, I'd not recommend it for families.
Activities: putting course, hiking, swimming, golf (extra $$$$$), snorkel (included),jeep rentals ($$$$), and horseback riding($$$$). For a romantic evening , take a horse drawn carriage ride and dine at the Lana'i Grill (in the Hotel Lana'i) at sunset.
Food is pricey but service is great. Warning - Golf course is closed, being redesigned, expect some noise from the work being done.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a larger room, and get a better view (gardens or sunset), downstairs rooms hav...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank donna4boys
Wailuku, Hawaii
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We have stayed many times at Koele, but this is the first review I have written. We are Hawaii residents and this is our favorite weekend getaway to relax and recharge in an environment that provides such. From the moment you arrive, you experience great service that Four Seasons is known for. Upon arrival at the hotel, you are greeted with flower leis and welcoming staff. The lodge is classically beautiful, surrounded by very complimentary landscaping. We enjoyed taking walks around the grounds. The food and beverage is excellent, using the freshest ingredients and many local products to create unique as well as standard menu items. You also have the option of dining at the Four Seasons Manele Bay hotel as there is a shuttle between the two properties. The pool is a nice and peaceful place to relax and also enjoy the jacuzzi in the early evening on a cool night. The rooms are spacious, clean, and well appointed. We loved having the windows open for cool, fresh air at night. Housekeeping does a good job keeping the rooms nice. Everyone we met at the hotel was friendly, helpful and showed the spirit of "aloha". We hope to see you again.
Mahalo Nui Loa for everything.

1 Thank Shirley C
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Wonderful place for total relaxation. Peaceful and beautiful. Attention to detail by the staff is amazing. One of our favorite places to visit in Hawaii. Enjoy the property, take a hike, rent a jeep and tour the island, sit on the front porch during happy hour and watch the sun set over the trees.

Room Tip: do not need to upgrade. all rooms are great
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanai City
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Hotel Molokai
Hotel Molokai
#1 of 4 in Kaunakakai

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele? Share your experiences!