“One of the most magical 5 days of our life.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maui Eco Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haiku
Maui Eco Retreat
Ranked #5 of 8 Haiku B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lahaina, Hawaii
“One of the most magical 5 days of our life.”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We recently spent 5 days on this magical land. This is not your typical hotel or motel. This is sacred space. This is land that has been loved from the very hands of people you want to know. This is land that you want to walk barefoot on to soak up the deep rich fertile soil into your soul. We rented the Hale Thai structure and it was beyond our expectations. My sister, and 5 year old son, and I melted into this lovely home. Made meals that nourished our bodies. Woke up early to meditate in the music temple, do yoga, dive in waterfall pools. We left the property one day to "go to the beach" -- All we could do was talk about getting back to the land. Yes, there are "woofers" -- and they are charming, interesting, caring, loving people that care for the land. They stopped by every morning to take my 5 year old son and our compost to feed the chickens, or to help us crack a coconut from the property. Rapahel and Kutira are as present as you need them to be -- they provide great space to let you enjoy the property -- and if you need them, they are there. They are super deep human beings on the path, doing deep work, and they neither expect you to be interested nor deny that you may gravitate toward their gifts. Honestly, if I could marry all over, I would get married here. I plan to come back - for a month - and be here. The location is ideal (i.e. feel like you are in HANA but you are actually close to Paia) -- and to have the opportunity to rest your sweet head in a home built from LOVE (they are magical spaces, furnished to the utmost of intention) -- gorgeous altars, lovely people quietly surrounding, this is the place. I will return, for sure -- hopefully for a month. And I will never stay at a resort on Maui again, this is my home away from home. Mahalo. From my heart, thank you for inspiring my 5 year old to be present, courageous, one with the earth. Even my little sister (nearly 30) will never be the same. MY LOVE TO YOU. Katy, Sairey and Noah Sky.

Room Tip: I would choose one of the bamboo private structures first, but you cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank katy s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My husband and I were married here in 2010, I went back this last year by myself and it was amazing. The bathroom situation was a little bit of an issue because I stayed in the Opua House but I would recommend staying in the Bamboo Temple if you stay, it is romantic, has an outdoor shower and a very special vibe. The staff upgraded my room without my request because it was available and had more privacy and that was very nice. The folks who care for the property were conciencous and made sure I was comfortable and happy. Everyone I met last may I would enjoy hanging out with on a personal level. While it is off the beaten path, that is what I needed. Other than WiFi being spotty, which is probably a good thing, unless you have to work, everything else was fantastic.

Room Tip: Bamboo Temple or Lotus room if in the Opua House
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tamela C
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We recently stayed here for 8 nights - far too long. We chose Maui Eco Resort because we wanted a quiet place to relax while on vacation. This was my first and my boyfriend's second trip to Maui. Everything written in the previous post by Jimimhendrix was spot on, but I'd like to add a few more notes.

There are a lot of staff and WWOOFers here and you will encounter them often. I hope you like to socialize. They are lovely people, but it almost felt like we were staying at a hostel, with so many people coming and going. On this particular trip, this was not the atmosphere I was looking for, though I have spent a lot of time traveling as a backpacker.

Many of the staff use the bathrooms in Opua House. The retreat's website only advertises 2 rooms without private bath, but there are actually 3, including the room used by the resident housekeeper. Several of the volunteer staff also shower there. We often competed with staff for the shower when we returned in the evenings. This was really surprising to me because the woman I booked with on the phone went out of her way to assure me that the bathroom situation was never a problem, giving no indication that it was for other than guest use.

To amend Jimimhendrix's review, it is the LOTUS room that has a private bathroom.

We also found it irritating that we were constantly reminded to turn off lights, even though we are very good about this. I did not appreciate the "friendly reminders" and jokes about irresponsible mainlanders, especially given all the signage to the same effect.

After you book here, you receive a lengthy e-mail about the property rules and helpful hints for getting there and around. There is also mention of a guest book in the rooms that contains other information once you arrive. This book didn't show up until our second day, when 2 were placed in the entryway of Opua House. I took one to look through and then returned it to that spot. The books were never placed in the rooms during our stay. In the book, it said that weekly guests would get a change of towels halfway through the stay. On day 5, we still hadn't been given new towels, so I asked the housekeeper (Ruth) about it. She said Kutira told her they don't get changed. When I mentioned the guestbook, Ruth had no knowledge of it or of that policy, despite having worked there for 3 months. We were then told to swap our our towels with the fresh ones in our closet.

We were unfortunate to stay at this property during a particularly stormy period; it rained nearly every day. We quickly realized that we did not want to spend our time at the retreat, so ended up driving to other parts of the island each day and usually escaped the rain. The dirt road to the retreat is BAD. We had a brand new rental car and wished we had booked a Jeep.

The trails on the property are steep and quite dangerous when muddy. The trail to the lower waterfall is not clearly marked. Mosquito repellent is a MUST. If you're adventurous enough to do the hikes, the coastline on the property is stunning and worth exploring. We were treated to several rainbows during our stay - the one upside to the nasty weather.

A final note about the owners. I fully imagined from the website and correspondence that Kutira and Raphael would be pleasant and attentive people. We saw Kutira one time, when we crossed near their house to get to a trail and their dog came after us. Kutira spoke with us briefly from her 2nd floor balcony. We saw Raphael almost daily, but the most he spoke to us was on the day we arrived, when he gave us a brief orientation and took our money. Once he had our money, he basically ignored us. Interactions were awkward, with him barely acknowledging our friendly greetings.

The bottom line is that by day 3, I was wishing we had booked somewhere else for the rest of the time. The "energy" on this property was not positive for us. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank RoamingTheGlobe
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My wife I recently stayed at the Maui Retreat, and had mixed feelings about the week we spent there.

Location
The Maui Retreat is located on the east shore of Maui, and a good distance from most popular sites. If you’re looking for peace, quiet and solitude, then this is your place. However, consider it’s still a decent drive to the grocery store in Haiku, or Mana Foods in Paia. We did a few night events over in Lahaina, and found that the long ride back on the dark two lane roads (and even worse the curvy dirt pot-holed road to the property) wasn’t fun.

Several resident interns beautifully landscape the property, and it’s nice to explore the grounds.

Services
As you check in and pay your deposit balance, you are asked to sign a two-page waiver that removes any liability by the owners if you hurt yourself on the property – say making the muddy trek to the waterfall. Nothing says aloha like a little legal reading just before relaxing.

We were told there was a beach you could hike to, but it was un-swimmable, and you’d have to pass through other properties to get there. There is no TV or radio, just spotty wi-fi that is okay for checking emails, but difficult to stream videos etc. if you get bored.

Since the property is “off the grid,” guests are asked to take short showers, recycle, conserve electricity, and use “green” products. This is okay, but the owners also request that NO toilet paper be flushed, so you will accumulate a trashcan of soiled tp over your stay.

There is a washer/dryer on the property, but not available to guests at the Opua House. Your bath towels can get a little funky by the end of the week. We found a decent laundry in Haiku if you want clean clothes for the trip home. There are two guest rooms in the house – Dolphin being the best with a private bathroom/stall shower, although one day the water pressure was very weak. There’s also a partial view of the ocean from this room, and a man-made fresh water pond. The pond has a few fish in it, and some noisy bullfrogs (although they only croaked one night we were there).

I found the bed a bit uncomfortable, the furniture old, and the walls in need of a paint job.

There is a third room upstairs for a resident housekeeper. Most of the time we had to share the kitchen with this person, which was a little awkward and competitive at times. Guest are required to do their own dishes by hand, and put food waste in a compost bin. If you forget some of the many rules, look around, more than likely there is a written reminder posted.

The interior décor of the house is filled with spiritual statues, photos, and paintings. I found it a bit over the top after a few days of looking at spiritual leaders I have no connection to. Take a look at their website and you’ll see what I mean.

For the best experience, I’d recommend a short stay (two – three days). It’s also best if you’ve been to the island before and aren’t that eager to do a lot of driving because that bumpy road in gets old real fast. Glad we had a Jeep!

Room Tip: Only go with the Dolphin room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jimimhendrix
Reston
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We found the Maui Retreat quite by accident, simply by surfing the internet. We had never been to maui before and had no idea about the differences between one side of the island or another. We so lucked out, I still cannot believe it. Rather than staying at one of those beach resorts that looks exactly like beach resorts around the world, we stayed at the most beautiful setting imaginable. We were on the side of the island where, at least in march, it rained a lot--but if we were in search of sun and beach, we just got in the car and drove to a beach on the other side of the island. But staying in the middle of the rain forest landscape, in a room (the Lotus room) that looked out on a lotus pond (with full privacy for us), where we could go walking about the property to waterfalls and fresh water ponds and around the cliff tops to look out on the ocean--this was heaven. And, by the way, it was also significantly cheaper than any of the internationally owned artificial beach resorts! Significantly! The house staff were volunteers with whom we quickly made friends. And then there was the great massage...and Kutira's and Rafael's music...

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClaireReston
Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The Maui Retreat is a paradise. Our stay was inspiring, the beautiful setting of the land, the character of the Eco Thai Hale cottage and the attention to the details were a delight for all the family.Finally we found a real fully furnished kitchen. The morning yoga looking at the ocean was inspiring.
Our teenage kids loved it too, and enjoyed very much the walk to the fresh water pools, and the adventure on the trail to the ocean.
We all relaxed and felt pampered by the beautiful nature.
we , as a couple, enjoyed the romantic setting of our cozy bedroom, the space for meditation, and the possibility of enjoying a romantic walk.
Kutira is a wonderful host.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank pillyR
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 March 2011

This is a great place to stay for anyone who wants truly experience the beauty and fundamental nature of being on a tropical island. As you approach the retreat, you get hit with a positive flow of energy and you begin to feel your hear charka open. We stayed at the bamboo temple and the dolphin room, both of which were very relaxing. Hiking to the top of the waterfall was something one can only dream of. It's a blessing for such wonderful people, Kutira and Raphael, to allow us in their space that they so delicately created out of love and peace!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KittenOnceBitten
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haiku
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Kuau Inn
#1 of 3 in Paia
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat

Been to Maui Eco Retreat? Share your experiences!