“dirty place”
Review of Maui Eco Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haiku
Maui Eco Retreat
Ranked #5 of 8 Haiku B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

we went to this place to spend our honeymoon but unfortunately we not had good times, the site was without any kind of hygiene, gilette with another host in the bathroom and used and older soap mor that my grandmother. Unfortunately in my opinion there was no kind of concern with hygiene and comfort for guests, is a place I would never goo again in my life, but Kauai is beautiful, to the island for sure come back a few times but did not stay in the same place for sure. I'm sorry my English because I'm not American

Room Tip: go somewhere else, not worth spending your money on this place
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jessicanadyne
MauiRetreat, Owner at Maui Eco Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

We are sad to read this comment, as we always hope when something is needed our guests will let us know right away so we can help. We strive to provide for each traveler a place of comfort and beauty.

All of our rooms are thoroughly cleaned before each guest arrives. If you found your shower to be dirty upon arrival, we sincerely apologize for this oversight and wish you had brought this to our attention so we could have remedied that for you right away. Hygiene and sanitation are issues that we take very seriously here.

The photo you have posted with the statues is of a shelf high up on the ceiling. We have friendly geckos that occasionally like to visit the ceilings of our temples, which is why we have netting above the bed. Most people find the geckos to be adorable welcomed guests and they understand that our retreat is in a lush tropical environment as indicated on our website by pictures, description and videos.

This is specifically why many of our guests come here and we trust that each guest studies our website to ensure the booking is a match and the needs of both the hosts and the guests are met. Our remote location is quite a different experience from the dry, hot, touristy side of the island where many of the large hotels are located.

We may not be for everybody, but with all of that said we can happily report that most of our guests enjoy their stay and have a loving, unforgettable experience. In fact, we have recently been awarded a Certificate of Excellence by Trip Advisor and continue to keep our Platinum Sustainable status. As always, we shoot for 100% guest satisfaction and take any constructive criticism seriously and without personal offense.

We hope you choose to come and visit our piece of paradise that we have carefully maintained for a long time. If your stay is not meeting your expectations, we hope you will give us the opportunity to handle any shortfalls. Finally, in considering your stay with us, please give heavier weight to the 98+% of good reviews we have on Trip Advisor, Flipkey and the many hand written testimonials is our guest books in each room. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I spent several sweet days here for our honeymoon in early April. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and escorted to our cottage. We were immediately enthralled with the gorgeous property and looked forward to settling in and preparing our first meal in the well-equipped kitchen. We enjoyed a deeply relaxing evening and slept more soundly than ever sounded by nature and without light or noise pollution. On our first morning we prepared eggs that were brought fresh to us straight from the happy Maui retreat hens. They were the best we had ever tasted! We also enjoyed exploring the trails to the waterfalls surrounding the property. The owner also told us about a bamboo forest hike 15 minutes up the road. It was gorgeous and our favorite hike on Maui. We sought this retreat out as we were looking for a peaceful and remote experience. We were so happy we found this gem of a place and look forward to returning for another visit!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kerrie M
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here last week. It was the most special memorable trip we've ever been on. We try so hard to live an Eco Friendly lifestyle at home, but our crazy lives and housing situation make it hard. Being able to be 100% sustainable is one of the many reasons we fell in love with the Maui Retreat. We loved everything from showering outside to experiencing real off-grid living. We ventured to  both the meditation and music huts and they brought out our spiritual side. We felt soooo free and relaxed. You can walk out your door and hike to the beach and have the most breathtaking views. We hiked to the waterfall on property, it was stunning! We stayed in the Bamboo Temple, woke up to the sunshine and ocean and slept to the view of the stars and moon. We were lucky enough to lay in bed and see the lunar eclipse. Because of the beautiful bamboo bush we were able to have so much privacy, walk around our temple naked and enjoy every bit of each other. We scheduled private massages there at the temple and Ryan was awesome! We also scheduled a session with Kutira and learned so much. Her wisdom and teaching will continue with us forever. Raphael and Kutira made this place magical!! A movie
couldn't have written a more romantic trip! If you're looking for a freeing, self sustainable and spiritual place you need to stay here. You will leave refreshed and filled with love and happiness. I know we sure did!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brianna D
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed in the Bamboo Temple and it was a great place. Unfortunately we arrived after dark and in the middle of a thunderstorm which made the place a challenge to find. The road is a little bumpy and off the beaten trap and gets a little slick in areas when it rains. We found the place and upon entering the main house found about ten folks in the kitchen eating. Nobody said a word as we walked in and we asked who we should talk to about checking in. They said we should talk to William but that was all they said. We then asked where we could find William and they said he might be upstairs. We then had to ask how to get upstairs and then had to wander through the house to find upstairs. We ran into a lady who was very friendly and started talking to us and telling us about the place and we figured maybe she was taking William's place but we found out she was just a guest. William finally showed up and we drove him over to the Bamboo Temple. He wasn't sure of where lights were or what paperwork to fill out as he was knew to his position. We got it figured out and got settled in. While in bed we kept getting sprayed with water and thought the roof may be leaking but unfortunately/fortunately we figured out it was the Gecko's relieving themselves as there were six or seven of them living in the upper levels of the temple. We figured that's why the mosquito netting was above the bed. The place was not the cleanest but not bad either. The grounds were nicely kept and the trails to the waterfall and the ocean were nice for exploring although some may not like the terrain and ropes to get to the waterfall. On our last day we tried to find William, or anyone, who could inform us of the process for checking out but nobody was around. We called the Emergency number listed, as it was the only phone number listed, and we got an answering machine. We did not get a call back until the next day so be forewarned the Emergency number listed probably won't help you in case of emergency. Although I loved the location and the grounds I was a little put off with the staff and service. They even charged us an extra $45 for showing up after six even though the innkeeper, William, lives there! I think they are more about the money, and selling their CD's and other services, and your stay is not their priority.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimages
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Finding the Maui Retreat is all part of the adventure, but with the excellent driving directions, it was a breeze during the day. Upon arrival my husband and I were greeted by William, who explained that Raphael, one the owners, would show us to our retreat for the week – the Bamboo Temple. After Raphael showed us the temple, he sat and visited with us for a few minutes and provided a detailed hand-drawn map covering the 16-acre retreat and a map to the local grocery store.

Nestled in the side of the mountain, the Bamboo Temple looks over the ocean. The next morning, we experienced a breathtaking view while lying in the bed, which is centered in the room. Yes, I said the bed. Lying in bed, we experienced the tranquil sunrise over the ocean as the coconut palms swayed with the morning breeze…a heavenly experience.

If you can live without Internet and cable TV, the Bamboo Temple is shear perfection. The property has so much to offer, you would never have to leave except to explore new places to eat and shop.

The Bamboo Temple is like a little hippie getaway. We felt renewed with energy. The surroundings are simple and comfortable. Indoor plumbing, stove, refrigerator and an outdoor shower….what else to do you need? The huge shower is a sanctuary all its own. Who cares if it rains, I’m taking a nice hot shower after my hike to the ocean.

To be at the Maui Retreat is to be at peace with yourself and Mother Nature and appreciate all the beauty that is available for you to experience. There are hiking paths that lead to the ocean, the Music Temple and to a private swimming area with a waterfall. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that shouldn’t be overlooked.

The place may not be there forever, so experience it while you can. Upon leaving, we met Raphael’s wife, Kutira, and visited with her about our joyous and restful experience. We will return.

Charles & Jose Robertson Ezquivel
Dallas, TX

Room Tip: There is not a bad spot on the property. Every place has it's own unique view.
Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MauiRetreat, Owner at Maui Eco Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to harvest the fruits of our labor of love.
We would just like to indicate to future guests that, if they would like to check their email or get online, we do offer designated areas with free wi-fi. Most of our land is consciously electro-magnetic free, so our guests can "download" the spirit of our Mother Earth from the ground, or the essence of the heavens from the stars without man-made interference. We do, however, understand that some of our guests need to stay in touch with the wider world, so they can do so if they choose.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was trying to find the perfect location to make the day and night of my engagement to my fiancee something to remember... well I don't think I could have found anywhere in the world that compares to our experiences with Maui Retreat.

I was able to book my reservation with ease, and had my detailed questions answered over the phone. We stayed in the Eco Thai Hale Cottage and it excited my expectations. The pictures online don't do it justice. The love and care put into the property are apparent in the meticulous grounds and well kept Cottage. We were greeted and escorted to our Cottage and informed of all the things the Cottage and grounds of the Maui Eco Retreat had to offer. They knew my plans of getting engaged and provided a detailed map of the property. We hiked down to the ocean, walked to the secluded music temple, and explored the properties beauty. Our highlight however was a spectacular 150' waterfall, just a short hike from our cottage. It was the perfect setting for me to pop the question. Gorgeous views and two pools to swim in atop the waterfall.

While the grounds and hikes were breath taking we also soaked in our time at the Eco Thai Hale Cottage. Relaxing on the front porch over looking the Pacific, listening to wonderful music our friend (William works on the property and loaned us bug spray, took pictures for us when we got engaged at the waterfall, and was a joy to talk with and share such positive and amazing energy with, we love you William!!!!) strategically placed in the CD player for us, unwinding in the outdoor mermaid shower, meditating upstairs in the loft, and just taking in the tranquility of the Cottage. It also had a full kitchen that we only sparingly used.

I wish we never had to leave these sacred grounds, and unfortunately for use we stayed here first and none of the other properties we stayed at on the island came close.

We can't wait to come back!

from the bottom of your hearts, thank you Kutira and Raphael for sharing your property with us!!!!

All our love,
Sean & Sabrina

Room Tip: we only stayed in the Eco Thai Hale Cottage, so I can't speak for the other rooms. The other hou...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SeanAndSabrina
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Many people say they loved there stay here. I wish I had not stayed here. I did not like being told to put ALL my used toilet paper in the waste bin by the toilet. I did not like my 100% polyester sheets. I did not like sharing my bathroom with four guests and with four other people associated with the operations of the "Eco Retreat." I did not like the mosquito bites. I did not like that the last mile of the access road is dirt, rocky, rutted and very unpleasant to drive. I did not like finding out there was no soap or shampoo provided in the shower. I did not like looking at the nine signs on the walls of the facility stating what the owners wanted and did not want from the guests. I am writing this review because I am concerned that a typical visitor to Hawaii might not expect the unpleasant aspects of a stay here.. I do like convenience and comfort. I found neither here. Bless the people who love the "Eco Retreat." I hope they will understand the few of us who do not.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Jon P
MauiRetreat, Owner at Maui Eco Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

We deeply appreciated that you wrote to us in an earlier email: "I would like to write something that encourages the people who would like the retreat to go there and enjoy it. AND I would like to include information that would let travelers like me know that they should go to the other resorts that are not as concerned about saving the planet as is yours."

We are sad to see that you posted your report a day after you sent your questions, without considering our in-depth answers. As you did not take the opportunity to incorporate our answers in your report, we will post our answers as a response.

As a short note, we feel compelled to point out that if guests desire a private bathroom, we have several spaces available which can meet that need, all of which are explained on our website. In all other aspects, we strive only to protect the environment.

We are grateful for the 98% of wonderful reviews and have never felt, as you wrote to us: " You have so many positive reviews, most of them quite hostile toward people with my preferences, I suspect you will attract even more "Eco Tourists" who want to prove their commitment to saving the planet."

None of the reviews from our former guests have ever felt "hostile" to us. On the contrary, we feel their joy, appreciation, and celebration that they have found us, off the beaten path, off the grid. We are proud to commit to protect our environment so our children's children can enjoy this precious earth as well.

We wish you all the best and hope that in all of your future vacations you will find the perfect place for a relaxing holiday.

Blessings of gratitude

Kutira,
Maui Eco Retreat

Below you will find each of the questions that this guest asked, along with our detailed responses. Please read on if you wish to know more about our retreat.

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was upsetting.

We try to have clear communication with guests about who we are and what we have to offer to make sure our guests have an experience in alignment with their expectations. We do apologize that you were not satisfied and again we appreciate that you want to know more from our side, before you post your final testimonial. To take care in the hospitality sector and on a piece of land that is completely “off the grid” is certainly more challenging and needs the cooperation of our guests. Not always easy and we give our best.

1. Why is it more eco-smart to haul feces-caked toilet paper to a land fill than it is to have it flushed to a septic tank where the effluence is neutralized through natural processes?

We are trying to stay in alignment with our eco-conscious values and have to make choices for how we use our systems that are most appropriate. Our septic system is very delicate and we choose not to burden the system with paper products, only natural organic materials. We have been advised that single ply toilet tissue would be fine to use but we have chosen to have a multi-ply tissue for our guests with the septic saving remedy of throwing the toilet paper separately. We have our housekeeping staff change daily or more if it is required or requested. We are sorry that you have found this offensive.

2. Is there any reason not to tell all potential visitors that the last mile of road to your Eco-retreat is very rutted, very rocky and very unpleasant to drive?

We do explain that we are about a half mile down a paved road from Hana Hwy., and then that there is a half mile of dirt road. Most of our guests know that we are in a remote location of the island and come here for this very experience. While we understand it may not have been comfortable, we also have guests that consider it quite an adventure and prefer our location to stay in well paved large corporate hotels. We do not keep our location a secret or that we are 'off-the-grid'. It is one of our most sought after features. We never had anybody stuck on this road and even low rider cars make it up.

3. I stated that my sheets were 100% polyester. That is what the tags on my sheets in the Dolphin Room said. Your company's response to my statement implied that I was not correct. Do you, Raphael and Kutira, say that my sheets were not 100% polyester?

Thank you for asking this question as I was puzzled to read “polyester”. I was able to educate myself regarding microfiber and cotton sheets.

Most of our sheets are either cotton or micro fiber. I really thought, when touching the fabric that this is not polyester and thought micro fiber is a form of cotton.

After further research on my part, I understand more about the difference between microfiber, made primarily of petroleum waste products, the material makes use of waste that would otherwise fill up landfills, and cotton that cannot be reused and uses large amounts of water resources and energy to manufacture. So, technically, microfiber can be labeled as 100% polyester, yet many customers compare microfiber sheets to Egyptian cotton, which is considered luxurious.

One particular comment on microfiber struck me and has stayed with me: “Cotton sheets used to be considered the preferred fabric of choice for bed linens. But like everything else has evolved to new and better fabrics that last longer and are 100% recyclable. Where cotton cannot be reused and uses large amounts of water resources and energy to manufacture. People assume organic cotton is better but don't realize that organic cotton uses twice as much water and uses more resources to transport the cotton from the farms to the factories and manufacture. I have read that many spas, hotels, and other businesses are making the switch as well because it produces less waste in the environment because the microfiber sheets last longer.”

In addition, microfiber sheets are beneficial for people with allergies as their material deters both dust and pollen, and their lightweight nature means that more of them can be washed at a time and that they dry faster - very eco-friendly!

After all this research I put a short paragraph on our FAQ page and explained that we have cotton and microfiber sheets. I hope with this information our future guests can be informed of what kind of sheets we use. I am glad I now understand and can provide both materials.

4. What is an honest way to tell potential guests that they may receive quite a few mosquito bites if they walk around on your property.

An honest way is to say that in any wet or woodsy area, there will be mosquitoes, and the North Shore of Maui is green and lush. Hawaii does have mosquitoes and we do not use harsh toxic chemicals to spray for them. We do have the benefit of the regular trade winds that keep away the mosquitoes on the ocean side of the property where our guests stay.

5. How do we tell potential guests that they will be asked to save electricity while someone on the property is running an electric pump to operate a water feature?

We put signs up to gently remind our guests who are not used to managing the resources of being off the grid. They are not meant to be upsetting but to bring awareness to our resources, in alignment with our ecological practices.

Now for your question about the electric pump operating the water feature. First, of all this system is independently powered by the solar panel from our private house. Second, this was a gift from my sister. The water is circulated through this system, so it is recycled and does not at all deplete our resources. I have worked the last 25 years relentlessly in creating this land from a piece of jungle into a sustainable place for people, and would never do anything to contradict these values.

We truly give our best to offer our guests a great visit and explore the land and its nature. We surely like to only host people that enjoy our land and feel sad that your experience of staying with us has been such a unhappy experience.

I appreciate that you are supporting us to give a clear response to the future traveler without being negative but honestly as we know for 98% of our guests are happy with what we have to offer… so we are striving together to get 100% satisfied visitors and lead the others wisely to places where they are happy and all their needs are met.

Thank you for you time.

With blessings and gratitude,
Kutira

Also consider these accommodations in or near Haiku
Travaasa Hana, Maui
#2 of 11 in Lahaina
Nalu Kai Lodge
Nalu Kai Lodge
#2 of 6 in Paia

Been to Maui Eco Retreat? Share your experiences!