“Our Stay 2011”

GreenLeadersGold level
Abbotsford, Canada
“Our Stay 2011”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I have read the reviews on tripadvisor.ca and can only say I am dissapointed of the two reviews of the people who say they had a bad stay at The Haiku Plantation Inn B&B.My wife and I spent ten glorious days ther in October 2011 . Sandy, was THE best host anyone could ask for . The breakfast was always fresh with local fruit ,some of it fresh off the trees on the property.The Avocado's were as big as a softball and so fresh, I didn't know they cold taste so good.
As far as the spectacular old house and the so called bugs, well the bugs in the room as far as I could see were little Gecko's that disapeared as soon as you turned on any source of light or when the sun came out.
It is unfortnate for the two groups of people with the poor reviews had come to stay while Sandy was away dealing with a family loss, and one of the largest storms on record had just ended after two weeks of torenchal downpoor knockig out power, internet and phone service ,which made it impossible for Sandy to contact any body or to even know people were trying to call her or the B&B .
Please read all the reviews for this B&B and you will soon understand that out of all the reviews, it can't be as bad as they say it is. AND IT IS NOT We enjoyed it so much we are hoping to spend our 45th anniversary there in February 2014.
I have in no way been soliceted to write this review. I just think the others were so wrong that I felt compelled to write this. Give this B&B a try .I am sure you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The Haiku Plantation Inn is a charming bed and breakfast in Haiku, a less tourist-y area of Maui and a great place from which to drive the Road to Hana and visit Haleakala National Park. The communal areas and rooms have a lot of character, and the included breakfasts are fantastic. The woman who runs the bed and breakfast is lovely and offers helpful recommendations.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JLR529
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed for two days in this relaxed B&B, in April 2012. Sandy was very accommodating and resourceful. I dearly recommend the place but not if you are looking for some fancy place. It is not; and it is not meant to be (and the price goes accordingly). I dearly recommend the place.

Room Tip: Didn't see the other rooms...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lelecabral
San Francisco
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We had a lovely experience during our stay in March. Rainy weather made for peaceful nights listening to the rain fall on the banana and palm leaves outside the window. Roosters crow each morning, and for this country girl it felt like home...but in Hawaii!
Sandy is great and it was nice to share stories with our fellow guests. The home and grounds are beautiful and well-kept. Nothing is perfect in a 100+ year old home set in a rainforest, but if you want sterile, air-conditioned and zero character, go to a hotel. For us, this was perfect and we can't wait to stay next year and the next...

Room Tip: The Plumeria room is nice with lots of windows and a good breeze, but close to the roosters. If that...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy C
Sydney
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Sandy was there greet us when we arrived, and bid us adieu when we were off on our journey to see other places in Maui.

We stayed at Haiku so we were close enough to the Haleakala sunrise trip, getting up at 4.15am to arrive at the Crater around 6.15am and the last one in for a parking spot! It was freezing and invigorating to be there amongst around 100 others.

We were also close enough to do the Road to Hana (which is quite doable even for those who are used to driving on the opposite side of the road). The thing was when you got to Hana, I expected to see a Big Welcome you've reached your destination ... guess it's all about the journey and the beautiful scenery you'll see along the way.

For a meal and a drink, you could drop by Paia which was only 5-10 minutes away. Very convenient!

We were very happy with our stay ... I was initially concerned about the "noise" which I read about ... what noise? From memory I did hear roosters crow but that wasn't enough noise to ruin my holiday. The room were comfortable, the breakfasts were filling, and the hostess was accommodating.

If you are looking for a place to stay which gives a Hawaiian vibe, this is the place. So Sandy more success to you!!!

NB the other couples/family also had a very comfortable stay. Haiku Plantation Inn gave out a vibe of "one big happy family"

PS I be posting photos in a short while.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luveely
MauiTravels, Owner at Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Aloha and mahalo. We do believe in taking the time to make our guests feel comfortable and at home. We want you to relax and enjoy all that Maui has offer and realize just how valuable your stay is not only to us but for our island. We appreciate all the kind words and friendships we make along the way here at the Inn. We hope you all love Maui as much as we do and make wonderful memories and if we can be a part of those fabulous moments, we have done our job well.

Please just let us know if we can assist while you are here or prior to your arrival.

We just have the best guests!

Mahalo again
Makawao, Hi
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I send all visiting family/friends to the Haiku Plantation Inn as the owner is great, the place is great, the grounds are great! (And I have no room for guests.) I was shocked to read the terrible review from "twolargedogs" as everyone I've sent there has absolutely loved it and loved Sandy, the owner. This is a 150 year old (or more) historic plantation house and it's lovely. I've been there inumerable times and have never noticed anything like "twolargedogs" talked about, obviously, or I'd never send my family and friends there...nor would they all love it. As a Maui resident myself, I know that after a lot of rain (which we had in March) mold happens...we all know that and clean it properly and accordingly afterward.Also, when we have big winds (like we did recently), phone land lines go out and there's nothing that can be done about it until downed lines are found and repaired by the telephone company. I also happen to know that the owner is almost always there, but had to make an emergency trip to the Mainland and normally does not have a "fill in". I would discount that review and pay attention to the other reviews, personally! I fully intend to keep sending family and friends there! (I do NOT, by the way, get any compensation whatsoever for sending people there. I send them there because I know they'll be happy there! I have other friends on Maui who also send people there for the same reason.)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CB15
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was so happy to stay in this beautiful old redwood home. It is just beautiful. The beds are so comfortable, sleeping was a pleasure. I was in Maui working and have stayed at numerous hotels on the island. However I really wanted quiet and a comfortable bed. That is exactly what I got and then some. The bathroom was clean and elegant. The room had a beautiful antique sleigh bed with the best mattress ever. And the decorations in not only my room but the whole home were so tasteful and authetic hawaiian. I am not sure what the other people were talking about ripped screens and mold, but I never saw any of this and I had to put things into the refrigerator several times. The grounds are absolutly private and beautiful. I recommend if you want a beautiful quiet place to stay, stay at the Haiku Plantation Inn.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank suez777
MauiTravels, Owner at Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for your perspective and honest comments. We do have a lovely home, which is over 150 years old and that is the charm of staying with us. A clean, vintage home, which is truly the oldest standing home on Maui which you can enjoy a lovely stay and experience the real Hawaii.
We do work hard for our guests daily, as well as on the house and grounds to bring a sense of home and comfort to our travelers. Unlike most bed and breakfasts we allow the guests more freedom to explore the home and also use of the main kitchen and not just a microwave and fridge. Mahalo again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haiku
Travaasa Hana, Maui
#1 of 3 in Paia
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!