“Absolutely Awesome!”

Ranked #1 of 8 Haiku B&B and Inns
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Absolutely Awesome!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Tradewinds Suite end of April. We arranged an earlier arrival with Bev and she was there to great us upon arrival. As she showed us around the Suite and explained how everything we worked, we had to pick our jaws up off the ground. It was AMAZING! Everything we needed was there and if we needed something else we were told to just ask. The platter of fresh fruits and chocolates, cereals, bars, juice, tea, the fresh floral bouquet were just wonderful. Bev and David have tons of literature about things to do and see in the area tips and suggestions. My only regret is we were there such a short time and had so many things on our agenda to do. The grounds are beautiful, well maintained and beckoned us to stay and enjoy the quiet peacefulness and views of the mountain and ocean. It was superb to just sit on the private lanai and take it all in or soak in the hot tub after a day of hiking. Bev and David are wonderful caring hosts and want to share their paradise and I give them 5++++ stars! Highly recommend the Maui Tradewinds and would love to someday go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 11feather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Mid-April of 2014, my husband and I made our first trip to Hawaii, with plans to visit only two islands due to time constraints. If we had come to Maui first and settled in the Tradewinds Suite, I highly doubt we ever would have moved on to Kauai. As it happened, Maui was the second island and we only visited from a Monday afternoon until Thursday morning, but what a visit! From the second we drove up that sloping driveway and made the turn, we had surely found paradise. Bev and Dave are the most gracious, lovely people. Though we only had the privilege of seeing them upon our arrival and departure, I would have been delighted to have had the opportunity to spend more time in their company. As it was, due to the perfect location, we kept ourselves fully occupied for the duration of our stay. We not only visited Iao and Haleakala (and, yes, you don't even have to leave the property to see the volcano), we also enjoyed visiting the west coast for swimming and touring Lahaina and spent time wandering Paia and watching the surfers from the overlook at Hookipa. The drive is so beautiful no matter where you go here, you just don't mind being in a car, but with this central location, it really is no trouble to get anywhere you want to go - and, then, to come " home" at the end of the day to such a beautiful place, no one crowding your private hot tub, no unwelcome music, vehicle noise...just birds and the call of a gecko. The grounds are surrounded by palm trees and flowering shrubs, and the view from the height of the grounds was just always great - I never took a bad picture and I got to see two rainbows! The online pictures of this property do not begin to do it justice. You really are in a very private setting. The suite itself is beautifully laid out, and all in accents of aqua and teal and sea foam green - just the perfect island flavor. There are plenty of seating choices - chairs, a couch, a table and more chairs for dining, a tv we never considered using, books, a wonderful Sherpa throw for early morning snuggling out in the yard on the hammock or lounge chairs. The bed was very comfortable; there's loads of closet space, piles of extra towels and linens, beautiful hardwood floors, an enormous bathroom with a sauna - and a washer and dryer so we went home without facing laundry! (And, yes, ladies, there is a blow dryer and there are wonderful toiletries both in the indoor shower and the outdoor shower). A full-size fridge, with ice cubes thoughtfully made ahead for you, reverse osmosis water and pitchers already filled so you never need to buy bottled water as you can't get purer than this, a gorgeous bowl of fruit, teas, coffee, dried goods for snacking. We ended up buying groceries and wine at Haiku Grocery on the way in and stopped again while out and about. It was so much more relaxing not racing to make some set reservation for breakfasts and dinners, though we did stop at Kula Lodge, Colleen's, Cafe des Amis and Koa's during our adventures. We never made it to the General Store - we just did not want to leave to go out that last night. I loved this place, I loved the people who made us feel so welcomed and I loved Maui. I can't wait to return and I can only hope Maui Tradewinds will be around for many years to come because that's where I'll be staying. Mahalo, Bev and Dave for best vacation ever.

Room Tip: I never saw the cottage. I never would have known there was anyone but us on the grounds. As a cou...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I recently spent 8 blissful days at the Maui Tradewinds. We were blown away by the care and thought that Bev and David have put into their place, and loved every second of our visit. Can't wait to return, and couldn't recommend the Tradewinds more strongly. (Note, I've given them top ratings for Swimming Pool because we enjoyed so much looking at the stars while sitting in the hot tub, and for Fitness Center because running up and down the nearby hill was as strenuous as any gym workout I can remember.)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Fellow travelers,
My daughter and I just returned to the mainland after a short 3 night stay at the Tradewinds suite. Oh my goodness! It was just a piece of heaven on earth! What all the others are saying about the cleanliness and well-stocked lodging is absolutely true. The location is perfect as a launching pad for any adventure you could have in mind. And what a sacrifice Bev and David make in being so quiet and out-of-the-way during your stay. We only saw them upon arrival, when we needed a supply and when they came out to say aloha. We were sad to leave and next time for sure we will book more time here and less on the resort side of the island.
Mahalo Bev and David...keep up the good work!
Two content California girls

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Illinois
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I stayed with Bev and David for 5 days, and we couldn't have been happier. We stayed in the Starwind Cottage, and it was like having our own home on Maui. It was an excellant jumping off point to do just about everything on the Island, and then return at the end of the day to a quiet retreat away from the crowds. It is right off of the Hana Hwy., convenient for taking the road to Hana, and close to the towns of Paia, Haiku, and Makawau, so that there are many restaraunt options as well as a few stores to load up on groceries and things.
From the supplies left for you, including cereal, sugar, creamer, coffee, breakfast bars, etc., to the beautiful decorations, the help of David and Bev, to the nice comfortable beds, this was one of the best places we have stayed in. Our favorite was the hot tub under the stars at night, AWESOME.
We really enjoyed our stay and when we return to Maui, will be staying here again.
Mahalo Bev and David, for sharing your home.

1 Thank Jim C
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We went to Maui a year ago for our last trip to Hawaii. We loved Maui Tradewinds so much that we booked another week soon after we came home. Bev and Dave are great hosts and the lodging is immaculate.

Come for a visit and I'm sure you will go again.

Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I finished a 10 night stay at the Maui Tradewinds a few weeks ago. We have travelled around the world and found our experience here to be the very best. Bev and David are superb hosts, always there when you need help, but never intrusive. We stayed in the suite, which is the lower portion of the hosts' home. If we were at all concerned about privacy, whether in our living quarters or the large outdoor spa tub, it quickly vanished. We felt alone on this wonderful property. Everything is provided for a complete and comfortable stay. The location on the north side is ideal as it is a short drive to Haiku, Paia and the upcountry with fun shopping and great affordable restaurants. We cannot recommend Maui Tradewinds enough, in fact we have already booked a stay with Bev and David for this November.

1 Thank Bubbiebear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haiku
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono
Kuau Inn
Kuau Inn
#1 of 3 in Paia

Been to Maui Tradewinds? Share your experiences!