“Wonderful secret spot”
Review of Papalani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Papalani
Ranked #5 of 9 Hana B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2010

So everyone knows that Hana is hard to get to, exclusive, special, and expensive but worth it. Staying at the Papalani actually removes the last item of the list, as it is great value, but just as special, and maybe more private and with more personal service than the big, classic competitor up the road. The guest house my family and I stayed in was big, comfortable, fully appointed, classy and beautiful, and convenient. Sybil and her staff became quick friends, and made it tough to leave for our next Hawaiian destination. We didn't notice any bugs, but anyone who complains them shouldn't venture out of the cities anyway. This is Hana rain forest, after all. Papalani was a thoroughly outstanding experience in all aspects.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Caryanna

Reviewed 1 November 2010

Pros: 1) Great location, just walking distance from the Venus pool and a short drive from other sites in Hana and Kipahulu. 2) Clean, spacious room. 3) Friendly staff and residents. 4) Competitively priced.

Cons: 1) There were no drapes in the room or bathroom (except for those on the door). If one of your neighbours (there are a few units on the property) is wandering, they can look directly into your sleeping area and washroom. I'm not sure if the other units have the same problem. Similarly, while the outdoor shower is lovely, those walking on the upper deck of the building or in the upper unit can look directly down at you. Disconcerting! 2) Other minor issues - no towel rack in washroom, the air conditioning is not working (though it gets cool at night so it wasn't necessary). A ceiling fan would be nice, as the provided fan is a small floor unit - a bigger fan would be helpful for keeping away mosquitos which are an unavoidable nuisance in Hana. The room has some weird things lying around, like a guitar, a slow cooker, a massage table - it almost feels like you are staying in someone's spare room.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank TO_Traveler155019
Reviewed 23 April 2010

yeah, there are a few bugs and cute geckos because the place is in the rainforest in rural hana. the reviewer who said anyone with no tolerance for a bit of "wildlife" should just not go to hana because they won't like it no matter where they stay hit the nail on the head. papalani is immaculately clean. every possible attempt to keep mosquitoes out has been made. the porch is screened in, repellent candles are provided. i've been bitten on all the hawaiian islands because i like to get out to the pristine, lush, tropical areas...where the bugs live. those inclined to be bitten who don't use repellent will be bitten outside, for sure. i got three bites, somewhere in hana...

this place IS very special. on the practical side: we paid the agreed upon price which was a bargain at around 160.00 per night and stayed the agreed upon nights. the place was so well equipped and big...we could easily live there full time. our "apartment" was "O'Hana. it had a full kitchen, washer and dryer, private grilling area, big porch. aesthetically: the grounds are beautiful. it was quiet, quiet, extra quiet. sooo private, i would pick it for a honeymoon (but i'm not a resort, spa, shopping person). we didn't really enjoy our stay on the resort side of maui very much.

papalani is a short drive outside of hana town, near homoa beach and the seven sacred pools, wai'anapanapa state park...the best of the road to hana. we had two of the best hikes ever at the pools and the state park. every step breathtakingly beautiful. each unique and short enough at around 4 miles, leaving plenty of energy for the beach later: excellent body surfing waves at homoa! exactly, what we came for! sybil was great. she left us alone because we indicated that this is what we wanted. we were 1000% satisfied.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed 15 January 2010

We are a retired couple, but still somewhat adventurous. We hiked the 4 mile trail at nearby O'Heo gulch. We did not surf the 50 foot waves near Hana.We wanted some places "authentic", but didn't want the hard travel or our youhful years. Papalani suited us very well. We had privacy, but with hospitality. We had comfort and amenities without hotel impersonality. ( The hostress' Hawaiian scene paintings were a world removed from Lahaina tourist kitch.) Wish we had stayed longer.
It's not waterfront but excellent beaches nearby, even within walking distance, altho' I think you need a car to see the Hana area.
Yes, we hope to go again, probably in the winter because we don't do heat very well.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ralph88
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I cannot rave enough about Papalani! It is a shame that she does not advertise- more people should know about this amazing retreat. I must say that it is not a party place, absolutely not. And anyone afraid of the rainforest, bugs, geckos, rain just don't stay in Hana because you will not like it no matter where you stay. But if you are looking for a romantic getaway, or a private retreat- THIS IS THE BEST MOST ROMANTIC PLACE THAT I HAVE EVER STAYED!!! Right on the waters edge, the venus pool stream runs through your backyard, secret beaches just a 5 minute walk away, hamoa beach 10 minutes away, You can't ask for a better location. I loved the herb and vegetable garden and the orchids and flowers growing everywhere. And the owner, Sybil was really a gem. I highly recommend this rental to anyone who loves nature, serenity, and a peaceful retreat. Thank you Papalani

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lovingshakti
Reviewed 7 October 2008

I have stayed at nearly every vacation rental and hotel in Hana Maui, and this was the perfect retreat for me. Sybil is just an angel- and my favorite of her rentals is the guesthouse in front, or the Ohana. Big sunken bathtub, gorgeous light, along the stream that makes up the famous venus pools. And it is just LITERALLY across the street from the gorgeous pools, and a perfect walk along the picturesque coastline to the infamous Hamoa Beach. This is one of my favorite swimming beaches on the whole island. It is an easy swim, gentle waves, and gorgeous white sand beach with shaded areas for the sun-shy. I must agree that there is no real "nightlife", fastfood restaurants in Hana. And yes, there are mosquitos and geckos in the rainforest- so Hana (thankfully) is not for everyone- but if you want a retreat or a honeymoon in paradise- I cannot reccommend this place more. A thousand stars for PAPALANI!!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank uccellini
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Let me start of saying that this place is NOT $85/night try $290 a night!
After a long hike in the mountains we started our drive to Papalani a little late. I called Sybill to tell her we were on our way. She told me she was too tired to get fresh flowers for our room and that I should pick some up on the way. Maybe I should have asked her if she needed any milk as well or perhaps toilet paper for the bathroom?

When we finally arrived she rushed us in the door because of the mosquitos and told me first off that I always need to shut the door right away...Sorry, I could'nt shut the door right away I had two large bags in my hand!

It was weird in the bathroom it looked like someone was living in there and forgot to take their stuff...clothes and a suit in the closet..pennies in a basket in the drawer...small hairs in the drawer.

Cooking breakfast in the morning was not fun or relaxing. I felt like I had to wash everything before I used it because the drawers were dirty.
I was really looking forward to my fresh baked bread in the morning but the mice had got to it first ripping large holes in the bag.
The coffee machine was dirty, coffee grinds still in the filter.
When we got breakfast ready we went up to the "whalewatch" and there was whiteflies buzzing around everywhere.

Okay, so not everything was so bad, it was across from the pools and had a nice green view of the pastures.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank LinaLina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
#2 of 2 in Hana
Hana Oceanfront Cottages
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Papalani? Share your experiences!