“HANA DREAM”
Review of Aloha Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Aloha Cottages
Ranked #8 of 9 Hana B&B and Inns
Castro Valley, California
“HANA DREAM”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The place did not say it was a five star resort, but location and the hostess...Mrs. Nakamura were priceless...If I dare the road again it would be great to hang out a few days, the cottages have been there 25 years and were well appointed for a quick overnight before you travel downhill. It was the only way to avoid crowds at the seven sacred pools, or you could drop five hundred at the hotel across the road. Sunrise over the water was AMAZING. I was there last night. Thanks.

Room Tip: All 3 cottages close, ours had best view of bay.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank ruthrdh

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Well we arrived in Hana after a few hours of driving at 20miles per hour and viewing the sites along the way on the road to Hana from Kihei. We didn't want to rush back to Kihei after the drive so we called ahead and booked the room. I read all the other post from the other travelers. I thought, how bad could the Aloha Cottage be?
Well we checked in with the Mrs and she was very pleasant and handed us a map and told us what time the stores and restaurant closed.She handed us the keys and we were on our way.( have to say I was a little disappointed I didn't get to meet the Mr. that everyone wrote about. Sounds like a charmer. :)
We stayed in the upper unit which was a one bedroom and a separate living room area.
We walked up the stairs and the door was so flimsly, you didn't feel safe being on the inside. The rooster cock-a-doodled all day long. The stove in the kitchen did not work. there were ants on the table. Bathroom was basic and not too bad.
However, the view from the living area is spectacular of Hana Bay. Its a great location, but I would suggest paying a little more and stay at another spot. Its well worth your peace of mind and just having nicer amenities and not feeling scared or eeked out.
The location is great but I would deter anyone from staying here. You can hear the other tenants in the below room.
The best part of this place was when we were leaving the cottage. I couldn't wait to get out of there. The least I liked about it was how rickety and creepy the place was.

Room Tip: The top units looked like the better option....lesser of the two evil. This is where we were.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank missmy1
durango
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I've lived and stayed all over the pacific, often budget traveling....so i've stayed in many basic places over the years. this place was among the most run down and unclean of all the places i've ever stayed. on the plus side, it is in a convenient in-town location and the manager is very sweet.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank useotheracct
Clinton, CT
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in October, 2010 in order to have some time to explore Hana and beyond. We stayed in the main "cottage", which costed a bit more than the other two places owned by this Oriental (?) couple.

The good: we did not have to share the place with anyone else. There was adequate parking. The living room area was roomy. There were sliders and a deck across the front of the house, with a glimpse of the bay. The refrigerator worked.

The bad and the ugly: The furnishings in the place appeared to be items salvaged from who-knows where. The two long "sofas" looked to be built from twin-bed frames and springs, with a piece of wood put on top, and a few folded blankets on top of that. The sofa "backs" were old pillows propped up against the wall. The kitchen table was a barely-clean diner table from the 1950's, with four chairs whose seats had been covered in some plastic which had some rips and tears. The toaster-oven on the kitchen counter looked dirty and rusty. The shower walls in the bathroom appeared to be made from two different types of old linoleum flooring. The towels provided were small and nearly threadbare, and the soap was a small sliver such as you'd get in a budget hotel.

The bedroom had two twin beds, which seemed rather uncomfortable. When I checked underneath, I saw that the mattress liner under the bottom sheet was actually a blue plastic tarp like you'd use to cover outdoor furniture or a boat out of season.

There was no television or radio, nor was there a comfortable place to sit. If you looked more closely, you'd see that the lightbulbs in the stand lamps had a sticky, dusty coat of crud all over them, and you would see some cobwebs and dusty areas here and there, and some sketchy places like around light switches and kitchen cabinet handles.

The town of Hana was just OK but not particularly interesting, although the road beyond the town led to a tiny village that was the final home and resting place of the aviator Charles Lindbergh.

I'd recommend just doing the road to Hana and beyond, and then the return trip, as a day trip, although it might be a long day trip. Get a super-early start on a day with good weather, and you'll also beat the crowds who are doing the same thing. However, if you really must stay in Hana for a night or two, then you basically have two options: 1) if you want to economize, as we did, and your main need is only for no-frills accommodations where you are protected from the elements, then this place might do for you; or 2) if you want more comfortable, cleaner digs and don't mind the higher cost, then there are a few other choices in town.

Room Tip: This is one of two "cottages". The other cottage, next-door, I think has accommodations o...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank New-Retiree-60
Pepperell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I stayed with Mrs. Nakumora a few weeks ago. We rented a studio unit. It was $75 incl taxes - for the price it was great!! The studio had an open floor plan living room kitchen bedroom - it was clean and comfortable. As we say in the northeast "beach comfy". We were able to cook some dinner and hang out on the porch and enjoy a few cocktails. Hana Bay is steps away. I read a lot of the reviews before we booked, and was a little nervous. It is apparent people want something for nothing - these cottages are EXTREMELY economical for the location - if you are looking for luxury, book up the road for $300+. We enjoyed our brief stay and have recommended these cottages to many travelers in our passing while on Maui.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kerry M
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My friend and I stayed here in May '10. We arrived at Kahului from Honolulu to start our road trip through Maui. We started off by heading down the Road to Hana. So did a few stops along the way (stops are good when heading down this curvy sometimes 1 lane highway) before eventually winding up in Hana around 4 or so. As we did throughout the entire trip, we didn't have a reservation for any particular place so we spent about half an hour going around town and asking if there was any availability. Wound up in one place that was booked, but one of the locals hanging around directed us to Aloha Cottages. We got there and asked if they had room. They had a couple of rooms still available so took it. The lady who helped us was the coowner, who happened to be the wife of the older Japanese gentleman who was there.

The name is not exactly as it sounds. These more closely resemble cabins in the woods, of which there appear to be 4, not including the one at the very top of a small hill which is where the owners and their family live. The interior is woody with outdated furnishings and appliances. The cottage had 2 bedrooms, one which was closed off. The living room was large as it also contained the dining area and the kitchen, which had utensils and appliances. There was a large sofa and chairs in the living room, which is where I slept since there were more windows there and allowed the breeze to come through. The windows were older jalousies so you could also hear the waves from the ocean, which is about a 5 min. walk away. The bathroom was small but had everything we needed except for toiletries. Good thing we took some with us.

This was basically a check-in and be on your own kind of place. No restaurant, no room service, pretty much as simple as it gets. Sure there were other nicer/pricier options in town, but we just needed a place to crash. We just ate dinner at the local restaurant (Hana Ranch) and had a great fish taco breakfast in someone's front yard (about 800' south of Hana Ranch on the road). If you are low on gas get it here before heading out. If you're low on rations or want some water for the road, get it at Hasegawa market. They also have lots of wares and souvenirs, but driving up and walking around inside is like stepping back in time to old Hawaii or at least what I think old Hawaii was once like.

If you're in a pinch and only need place to crash and can get by the very simple aesthetic of the place, then don't worry or hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Beenaround73
Wailuku, Hawaii
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We drove into Hana for the night to visit our family and needed a place to stay. Price was reasonable, but most importantly, the location was perfect. The reservations we had made were for 4 people, and because my family and I drove in at different times, we had 3 seperate vehicles. Everything went well until we were packing our belongings into our vehicle. The old man (assuming owner) was right outside our cabin raising his voice with my parents and telling them that we had 7-8 people staying in our cabin, when we didnt. He kept raising his voice and making false claims about the number of people we had staying with us. I didnt appreciate it and neither did my family. Hana may be limited as far as reasonable lodging for people to stay at, but I dont recommend this place to people to be treated so poorly and would rather pay an extra hundred dollars with better service, than be treated the way we did.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank K C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hana Oceanfront Cottages
Peace Of Maui
Peace Of Maui
#2 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Aloha Cottages? Share your experiences!