“Very very ... Very basic”
Review of Aloha Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Aloha Cottages
Ranked #8 of 9 Hana B&B and Inns
Newport Beach, California
“Very very ... Very basic”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Pros: Very comfortable beds, cheap, room for 3 without surcharge, no cleaning fee, clean at first glance, nice location and view from upper unit, very close to ocean, sweet landlord, upon close inspection I found no dangerous looking spiders, bedbugs, or ants indoors, beautiful fruit plants everywhere.

Cons: Wasp nest at entrance, 50 year old stove actually shorted and burned a welding hole in the pan with 3 foot sparks, screens all have wide gaps around edges and some holes letting in many mosquitos, filthy (like 2 years of dust) and cobwebs in the corners and over the doors. Termites and little mosquito looking nats came in thru the gaps in the windows. I actually had to go around cleaning them just to feel comfortable (that said; it was well swept and clean in the main areas), tub had about 100 tiny dead nats on it, mildew in every cabinet, dishes needed to be re-washed.

It would have been a good sleep if we weren't for the apprehensions all night about a big spider or other bug invading. Apparently; it was just barking Gekko's doing their job keeping them at bay. It would have been more comforting if not for the 1/2 inch wide gaps along one edge of just about every screen (the termites had eaten the wood).

When the stove shorted, the 220 fuse didn't blow. Wow, my wife was stiring with a metal fork and would have probably been killed if timing were different. The place probably would have burned had we been cooking greasy foods.

This place works for someone willing to suffer a few mosquito bites and walk under the wasps; and just looking to simi-camp for the night.

Mrs. Nakamora REALLY needs to put a little effort into fixing / thoroughly cleaning the place. She's in over her head.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray and a mosquito net.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Brad L

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Every time I go to Hana to get away, I always call Mrs. Nakamura to make reservation. Because they don't have an answering machine, the best time to call is in the morning, before 10:45, after that they are cleaning the houses.
The houses are really simple but clean and every house has all what you need. They take the garbage out every day and make your bed, fold towels.
The location is prefect, walking distance to Hana bay, the stores, the churches, the clubhouse, the red sand beach. The formerly known Hana hotel is right across from Aloha Cottages.
Mrs. Nakamura always gives us fresh fruits from their garden.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Aniko H
Hawaii
Reviewed 19 March 2013

The Nakamuras have 3 structures on their property and we rented the studio at $75/night. The upper floors are $90/night and meant for families or larger groups. Heavy walkers upstairs can be heard in studio. Cozy and simple provisions. There are many more vac rentals appearing in Hana, but this was recommended by Hana locals. (Travaasa Resort across the road is $500 and up/night.) We hiked 4 out of 5 days and drove east one day. Wanted to fly into Hana from Honolulu (Mokulele Airlines) but rental cars are unavailable at Hana Airport. Shop in Kahului before driving the winding 50 miles. We ate out 1 meal/day at Travaasa, Hana Ranch Restaurant and a new Thai Restaurant across from the baseball field. Location is one block from Hana Bay.

Room Tip: Upper floor units larger and quieter, depending on who rents other units. The structure at the top o...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MauiNotKaoi
Palo Alto
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I made the mistake of not checking reviews. I thought the price was good and how bad could it be? Really bad! My husband who is very frugal said "I am so glad I didn't pick this place". As a roof over your head while it's dumping down with rain (common in Hana), it beats camping, but only just. The owner was very sweet and showed us a map of where to go around Hana and I feel badly writing this review because of her, but I feel like it wouldn't be fair not to warn others. The studio we had was very basic and threadbare. There were holes in the towels, and the bedding was uncomfortable and old and we had the company of a giant 2" cockroach. I could have dealt with that, but when we were cooking our dinner, my husband got a shock touching the metal pan we used to cook. There must have been a short circuit in the cooker. We told the cleaners to tell the owners about this the next morning, but I am not confident the stove would be replaced. It's that sort of place. We left really early because we didn't want to incur the wrath of Mr. Owner (we had checked some Yelp reviews by then).

Room Tip: We may have had the worst studio (73), but I wouldn't go back.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Penelope L
Lovell
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Loved the area. View of ocean from unit. Centrally located. The owners are super nice. Place definitely needed some repairs and overall I'd stay there again except the beds were horribly uncomfortable. Gives you the old Hawaii vibe for sure. Walking distance to Hana Bay. Couple of ok restaurants nearby, but pricey. Easy drive to several parks including Haleakala N.P.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James M
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Mrs Nakamura is a very nice host, the cottage that we rented (off property) was beautiful, nice view of the ocean. Met the son Keith in the morning, and we shared stories while I held my 3 months old son. What an amazing place... makes me wonder why I live in such a cold climate!

My blessings go to this family, long time Hana residents, I hope to visit them again soon.....

Room Tip: Try to ask for their nicest cottage - im guessing its their most expensive one, but at just over $10...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank RowansEntourage
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I was warned by multiple reviews of how bare this place is. I found it to be as described, simply a roof over our head, a quiet bed to sleep in, living room to lounge in and a VERY short walk to Hana Bay, where our 6 year old son loved to swim. The Mrs. was courteous and friendly, she offered helpful hints for dining and good beaches to explore. If you are looking for the lap of luxury or looking to be catered to...this is NOT the place for you. It is better then having to set up a tent at the end of a long day when your kid is cranky. And I found the location very central. If you have camping background...you will find this lodging very adequate!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CS_080903
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Aloha Cottages? Share your experiences!