“Beautiful Hana”

Travaasa Hana, Maui
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I have been to Travaasa Hana three times in the last three years. We fell in love with the property and the people of Hana. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking. It is not your typical tourist experience and while the hotel is priced like a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, it is a more rustic experience which may or may not appeal to you. It is optimal for a romantic getaway and less ideal for families with children. We recommend staying in the sea cottages for 3-4 nights. Any shorter and you don't get the full experience and any longer and you run out of food options. Children are not allowed on the sea cottage side of the property. We were disappointed with our trip this year due to an unexpected closure of the resort restaurant which we found unacceptable given the limited dining options in Hana.

Positives:
- The property and the setting are exceptional. Natural and peaceful with breathtaking views of the Pacific. A true old-Hawaii experience. We highly recommend the sea cottages. We stayed on the garden side for one night several years ago and were not as pleased. This is truly one of our favorite spots on earth.
- Adults-only on the sea cottage side. This makes for a very quiet and relaxing experience.
- Variety of fun activities. Our favorites are coastal horseback-riding, hiking Oheo gulch and yoga. We would recommend adding a photography class, painting class and/or stargazing class to the list of options.
- Breakfast in the dining room is delightful. Highly recommend the Hawaiian pancakes and Longhi-style french toast.
- Live entertainment in the dining room. CJ and Leokane play at least once a week and usually more with Auntie Carol doing the hula. Such a treat!

Negatives:
- Dining options. There are two restaurants in Hana that serve dinner (the resort restaurant and the Hana Ranch restaurant). The resort restaurant is extremely expensive given the quality of the food which is mediocre. Entrees were priced at $45-50 on our most recent trip. Hana Ranch Restaurant is a more casual option with average food and entrees priced $25-35. The resort used to have less expensive options in the Paniolo Lounge which we liked, but now they only serve appetizers.
- Service. I would have said this was a plus in the past, but we were really disappointed with our most recent trip. The hotel unexpectedly closed the resort restaurant for several days in order to re-stain the wood floors (a non-urgent repair). We were not given advance notice or compensation and had to eat every meal at the Hana Ranch Restaurant. Our favorite part of this trip is eating breakfast in the resort restaurant and we weren't able to do this. We would have preferred to have had a heads up about the closure and possibly discounted room service or additional menu options at the Hana Ranch restaurant.
- Room service exists but there is no menu and it takes 45min-1hr to get your food.
- The pool bar is rarely open when it says it should be and it only has 2 drink options.
- Activities. I know this is also on the plus list, but the activities list has not been updated in years. We wanted to try the Maui Stables horseback ride this year which was listed as a recommended activity, but we learned that the stables have been closed for 2 years. We also checked out snorkels to find that the current in Hana Bay was not conducive to snorkeling and the cinder path to the better snorkeling was too dangerous to traverse. There really was no instruction about where we were supposed to go, so we gave up.
- The beds are hard. Hopefully they will replace the mattresses soon so we can get more sleep next time!

Room Tip: Splurge and get a sea cottage. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rkozi
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Aloha rkozi,

Thank you very much for making Travaasa Hana part of your Hawaiian experience over the past three years! I’m very pleased you enjoyed your recent stay in our Sea Ranch Cottages, which by the way as you know are breathtaking. We are in the process of renovating our rooms, which will include replacing our beds with a more luxurious mattress.

Our live entertainment with Leokane and CJ in the Kauiki dining room is a throwback style of Hawaiian entertainment, very beautiful and mesmerizing, along with Aunty Carol’s Hula dancing, wow! I’m glad you enjoyed our large variety of activities, most of which are complimentary to our guests.

I apologize for the unexpected closure of our restaurant, but our cleaning staff accidentally spilled a cleaning solution that removed the wood stain from portions of our dining room floors and looked quite awful. I made the decision to close the restaurant for five days to address the problem immediately before it made an adverse impact on our guests dining experience.

I have shared your information to our Concierge team to ensure all information regarding our activities are correct or non-relevant information removed , such as Maui Stables, whose been out of business for about four months. Please accept my apologies for not providing you instructions on the best snorkeling areas in Hana. Our Concierge’s team is very knowledgeable about the best snorkeling grounds on East Maui, unfortunately during the winter months there are more days with rougher ocean conditions that are not conducive to snorkeling.

Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Travaasa Hana, Maui

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I spent years going to the Hana Ranch .... back in 70's as a kid , it was rustic and a island gem.... recently went back to the Hana Hotel under the Travaasa management... Unfortunately this is the only semi luxury place to stay in Hana so with that said we were happy to arrive to a clean nice garden suite booked thru hotels.com at $400 for a family of 4. I have mixed feeling about the hotel and somethings were great and other things are a problem.... Some of the good , location is epic large ranch cottages, well kept grounds, and very friendly staff, no RESORT FEE !!!! and its a no tipping hotel... yes service is included ... what a concept!

Some of the detractors :

I called to extend the room from one night to two nights and spoke with someone unable to do that or someone who did not want to ... told me I had to call expedia ( who I booked the room thru ) and extend . I then asked if I could just book thru the hotel an extra night..... not too tough correct ?? Well I guess it was .... so I assume they did not want the extra $400 for me for the 2nd night.... strange business strategy. This person , however nice , had no idea how a business runs..... why could she not extend my room ? Just make ANOTHER reservation , not that hard ... the hotel was about 30% occupied. ??? OK we arrived at the hotel and it was quiet and had a efficient check in ... glad to be there after that amazing drive..... the room was great but then the jack hammering began .... yep , the pool about 300 feet from our room was out of service..... As a side note OCT / Nov is when most of the hotels do major construction and repair just as an FYI. So pool not working OK there are three other pools ... but none of them allow children , and we were with a 8-10 year old .... so I figured a simple solution since the hotel eagerly took my $400 that my kids could use the other pools since the 'garden' pool was down for repairs .... we spoke with one of the nicest people working there , at the concierge desk , she was so so friendly and helpful ... at the managers cocktail reception ( Wednesdays) I mentioned this to her and she said she would ask the manager .... in the morning we got a call and said that we were out of luck , our kids could not use any of the 'other' pools.... two things come up here why was I not told of the non working pool and why on gods green earth would you tell a guest No? Who ever the manager is should be looking to manage a Days Inn in my book, at least I should be offered a discount since I was never informed of the pool out of order.

So with the sound of jackhammers and a non operational pool we took advantage of the other activities which are great but limited so sign up early....

We met another great person ANDREW who was super friendly and with a great smile showed us net throwing and coconut husking .... my kids ( since the could not swim in the pool) enjoyed these free activities which at another hotel like the Hyatt Maui or similar would charge an arm and a leg.... One surprise is that one of the activities ( horseback riding) is an additional $75 each person .... a little steep in my book but the days we were there it was sold out... I think there is a max ten persons. They have a lot of activities that vary day to day so call and get an updates list for the one on the website was not totally accurate.

So going back to extending ..... so ofter the pool fiasco and the lame response of " NO POOL FOR YOU" Hana still captivates so we wanted to spend night two.... so thinking I would get 'CALL EXPEDIA" I got a nice front desk staff giving me the room for the 2nd night for $300 .... thats $100 cheaper than thru hotels.com ... for the same room... maybe they felt bad about the pool??? or maybe thats really the rate....?

Thursday night we attended the music in the bar which was amazing .... so amazing the delicious expensive food , did not seem like an issue ..... but upon signing the bill , its really really expensive , although the food is good tasty and fresh. The food is on price par with the Four Seasons, entrees $45 seems like a hardy , " there's nowhere else to go" hidden comment to guests. However the music and dancing were amazing , the hotel staff is so talented and the musicians were awesome!

$250 for dinner drinks 2 adults two children is slightly gouged..... I guess they make up for the no tips/service and no resort fee during the meals.

All in all the hotels was great, or I should say HANA is great and the hotel just OK.... what really got me is the non-disclosure of the pool being broken and no apology from the manager , send over a few high priced Mai Tais or something????? ..... some of the staff made the stay, ANDREW and the lovely concierge lady .... Thank you for your kindness and effort!

In the future I would look at AIR BnB for cottage rentals rather than the hotel if you are on a budget or staying more than 1 or two days.... but for 3 Star luxury there is nothing similar for 68 miles in either direction ...... so there you have the Travaasa Hotel Hana.... really your only choice ..... somehow HANA deserves better but this will have to do....

Room Tip: Call directly to get possibly better rates, speak with the desk in HANA not the reservations center...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank DJBSFO
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Aloha DJBSFO,

Thank you for your review. It’s always a great opportunity to have guests, such as yourself that have been coming here since the 1970’s, being that I’m born and raised in Hana and a 3rd generation working for this hotel, we probably crossed paths at one point in time. Thank you for being a loyal guest.

I apologize about the jack-hammering around the pool, but there was an emergency situation that posed a safety risk to our guests that needed to be rectified, hence the pool closure and maintenance.

I’m sorry we didn’t get the opportunity to meet at our cocktail reception. It’s the perfect opportunity for me to meet one on one with our guests and chat about their stay. Best of all, our guests can enjoy complimentary mai-tai’s, wine, beer, non-alcoholic beverages and hors d’oeuvre.

Thanks for mentioning Andrew; he does such a tremendous job sharing his culture and the knowledge about the ocean and land with all our guests. We offer a variety of free activities, such as throw net fishing, bamboo pole fishing, archery, yoga, various workouts, coconut husking, hula and ukulele lessons just to name a few. Our horseback rides are one of a kind coastal stroll along the rugged Hana coastline with views of the Pacific, is under priced at $75 when comparing to other horseback rides on the other side of Maui.

Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 17 November 2013

"I think you nailed your honeymoon"...this was the quote from one of our new friends made during our stay at Travaasa Hana. We chose to spend our whole week in Hana, and are so glad we did. Hana is a naturally amazing place, and Travaasa is so different from typical resorts - which was our intent. We found complete relaxation and peace, here - though not from inactivity. We started each day with Yoga, participated in workouts, fishing, horseback riding, hiking, and of course some beach time. The staff are like a family, truly genuine and friendly people that care about your satisfaction and experience in Hana. It was like we were welcomed into their home. We met so many couples that have returned here over many years - including new friends celebrating their 60th anniversary in the same place as their original honeymoon in Hana. Aloha, a hui hou kakou!

Room Tip: Sea Ranch Cottages if travelling without children
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Aloha Jeffro442,

Congratulations again and thank you very much for spending such a special occasion with us! Thank you for recognizing our effort in making celebrating a special occasion such as yours a very memorable experience that will make you want to come back to Hana again and again. You are now officially part of our Ohana (family) and we look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

A quarter hour flight from the hustle & bustle of Kahului, the decades drop away and you are back in a quieter, gentler Hawaii. The Sea Ranch cottages add to this emphasis with their old Hawaii-style plantation cottages: bands of rain sweeping through resonate on the tin roofs, adding to the charm. Rustic luxury and peace abounds, and the restaurant food is much better than some reviews suggest. Only complaint is with the high price.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Aloha QuentinHeim,

I love Mokulele Airlines! I take the Hana to Kahului flight every week and the plane ride is amazing, the flight crew awesome! I’m very pleased you enjoyed our amazing food and the peacefulness our Sea Ranch Cottages have to offer. Hana is what Hawaii used to be decades ago, with no traffic jams, crowds of people, noise and high rises. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I have a real affection for this place. Our first visit was almost 20 years ago, 1994 and we came again for our honeymoon in 2006 and our 5th wedding anniversary in 2001. We had followed the news of the changes in ownerships and some not so positive reviews, but felt the need to return.

As many have said, this is an amazing location. Hana is quiet and whoever envisioned adding the Sea Ranch Cottages to this resort was visionary. Alas, they are almost twenty years older than we first saw them and are in need of refurbishment. But infinity pool alone is worth the trip. We just finished a four night stay and were glad we came and sorry to leave. (We did notice one of the cottages is under construction.)

Some positives: Better security for the Sea Ranch Cottages; they are across the road from the resort. The Spa looks amazing. It is where some old Garden suites used to be. The nightly entertainment is very enjoyable – we especially enjoyed the hula show with CJ and Leokāne; the hula dancer was adorable, they called her auntie and I would guess she is in her 70s or older. There are many included activities and the resort is no-tipping (except spa and food.) We even left $5 when we asked for extra bottles of water and coffee in our room, and the $5 was there when we returned, along with the water and coffee. The Sea Ranch Cottages and the infinity pool are now adult only, so nice! The pool bar attendant, Adam was great. He even came to check on us one day when they did not open the snack bar since the weather was rainy. The main building is well maintained and the landscaping all around is property is beautiful. The gift shop and the art gallery are well-stocked and fun to browse.

Some negatives: The service was mixed --- most employees seemed pleasant enough. It was great to see Patrick again and have him drive us around the property when we requested a ride (it rained a bit while we were here). Some employees seemed more interested in talking to each other than us and some were downright unpleasant. One of the housekeepers and one waitress must have been having really bad days; both encounters left us very uncomfortable.

There seems to be a lack of attention to details -- the dead flowers on the desk surprised me when we checked in and then continued to see many flower arrangements past their time during our stay. Also, the tennis courts look is disrepair, not that we are tennis players, but you walk by there and wonder what the story is. There are public courts right next to them at the city park; maybe they just send you there?

Now the food --- our first night we dined in the main dining room, and wow, the pricing is high; most entrees near US$50 and the wine prices also very high. We know it is a fancy resort and we might have been OK with that if the food was better. My husband and I both ordered fish and it was unattractively plated, bland and overcooked. (I had the crab crusted mahi mahi and my husband the bacon wrapped sea bass.) For the next three nights, we chose to eat the Hana Ranch Restaurant. It is casual dining, but the food was fine, and then we had breakfast in the main dining, since the main dining room is a wonderful room with a beautiful view during the day. Breakfast was also pricey, but the food was OK but still, rather unpleasantly presented. (The Hana Ranch Restaurant is off property, but they will give you a ride there and back in their golf carts, if you don’t want to walk.)

We had booked this trip seven months ago, and initially had signed up for the all-inclusive experience. Four months ago, I saw it being offered at Luxury Link, same accommodations (oceanfront Sea Ranch Cottage), but was ala carte, which turned out to be just as well, since we did not use the spa or any activities, even though our package included some modest spa and activity credits.

Also, in preparing for our trip, I was frustrating in trying to get advice on the best way to get from Hana to Honolulu. I first emailed and was told there were ferries between the islands (there are not) and when I called the property front desk, they promptly transferred me to Texas, and they were of no assistance. I gave up and called the hotel in Honolulu.

We will continue to follow the news on Travaasa Hana and hope the accommodations and food will match the 5-star location and we hope to return to this magical place.

P.S. Although we were not supposed to have wifi access in our cottage, it often worked. If you are on Verizon, your iphone will work in the cottages and you get LTE.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank islandhalls

Aloha Islandhalls,

Thank you for your loyalty over the past 20 years. The Sea Ranch Cottages construction that you’re referring to is part of our renovation process, which will be in full swing in January and is scheduled to be completed in late 2014. A portion of our Sea Ranch Cottages will undergo a major interior change and all of our units on property will receive new furniture and fixtures.

Our Spa is truly amazing and I’m sorry you did not have the opportunity to enjoy this one of a kind experience. The Spa location is perfect with views of Hana Bay and our team members are true professionals with impeccable service standards, which helped us achieve best Spa in Hawaii the last couple of years.

Please accept my apologies for your negative encounter with those two employees you pointed out, I shared your comments with our team members and management. The condition of our tennis courts are being addressed as I write my response, with the installation of a new surface, fence and net. The entire tennis court refurbishment should be completed in the next couple of weeks.

I have also shared your comments on your dining experience with our Chef and Food and Beverage Manager.

Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

The hotel complex is divided into 2 sections that are separated by a rode. Kids under 17 years old are not permitted to enter the section which is closest to the sea.

The hotel's public areas are well maintained and clean and the staff is nice and extremely accommodating.

Our family (2 adults and 3 children, ages: 7, 9 and 11) stayed in 2 adjacent rooms, on the far side from the sea. The rooms were very big with huge bathrooms. Nonetheless, the rooms were poorly maintained to say the least; broken shades, rusted refrigerator shelves, dirt on the closet shelves and dislocated bathroom faucets.

The hotel offers, so it seems, a variety of activities. However, it turns out that the majority of them come with a high additional charge; for example, one hour horseback riding costs $75!

Moreover, the hotel restaurant offers overpriced dinners, very slow service, the food itself was only o.k. and the kids' dishes were flavorless.

To sum up, the main problem of this hotel is that it is presented as a luxury hotel (prices are accordingly), but it is not! If you plan to come to the area for its' wonderful nature resorts you do not need to unnecessarily spend money on this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank TAMARA K

Aloha TamaraK,

I would like to apologize about your unfortunate experience regarding the room maintenance issues you pointed out. We take the outmost pride in our property and this was a complete failure on my part from preventing this room to be rented out in such condition.

As for our Sea Ranch Cottages, we do offer accommodations for children ages 16 years and below six weeks out of the year. We have had numerous feedback from previous guests (by adults and couples) seeking an exclusive, unique setting where they can celebrate a special event in a very intimate setting.

We have a large variety of free activities ranging from Yoga, Pilates, Meditation, Hula, Lei Making, Ukulele lessons, a variety of workout classes, coconut husking, thrownet fishing, bamboo pole fishing, archery and holoholo bike tour just to name a few. We also have a small amount of paid activities such as our Coastline Horseback Ride, Name That Grape, Glider Adventure and Stand Up Paddling. All of our paid activities are priced well below of what you would find at other comparable establishments on Maui.

Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Travaasa resort in Hana is the central focal point in Hana. It is truly a great place to rest and relax. Although, as they offer many activities, one can be as busy and active as one would desire.
The service and friendliness is incomparable throughout the resort. My only criticism is with the restaurant which for the prices asked could improve the quality of the food served. The ambiance and friendly service is definitely there as well. If you are short on time, try flying from the main airport on Maui to the small community air strip in Hana. The hotel does offer courtesy shuttle service to and from the airport.
I would recommend going tho the Thai restaurant adjacent for reasonably priced, quality food.

Room Tip: garden rooms away from the road are best, however, for a splurge try the huts closer to the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank batmanben
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Aloha Batmanben,

Mahalo for such a wonderful review of your stay and thank you for participating in our variety of activities ranging from Hula lessons, juicing, yoga, fitness boot camp, horseback ride along the Hana coastline to name a few. Our activities department is fantastic and will keep you busy, but if you like to just take time to do nothing, the Wellness Pool overlooking the Pacific is truly a zen moment.

I would like to apologize that we fell short of your culinary expectations; we use only the freshest of ingredients from our local farmers, fishermen and ranchers. Thank you for recognizing our team members and the great service they provide to all our guests.
Great advice on flying here on Mokulele Airlines, just a 15 minute plane ride from the main airport in Kahului to Hana with great views of those hidden waterfalls along the way.

Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!