“A unique and special property in the midst of paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travaasa Hana, Maui

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Santa Monica, CA
“A unique and special property in the midst of paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Hotel Hana Maui (now owned by Travaasa of Austin, Texas) is an extraordinary property that dominates the tiny town, and economy, of Hana, on the isolated eastern (rainforest) side of Maui.

Since its founding in 1947 by San Francisco industrialist Paul Fagan (who also built a baseball field in Hana for his S.F. Seals professional team to practice on, in the days before the Giants came to S.F.), the hotel has had numerous owners, including the local cattle ranch, a group of Japanese businessmen who failed in their attempt to build a golf course, and Caroline Hunt (from the Texas oil family). Travaasa has owned the spread for about 2-3 years.

And what a spread it is, sprawling over some 77 acres (or more?) of lawns and flowering trees and bungalows. The saltwater infinity pool and whirlpool overlooking the Pacific will take your breath away. The hotel also has tennis courts and maintains a stable of horses; guided horseback riding in pastures alongside the ocean is well worth the $75/hr. charge. And the hotel has other activities, some free, some not, including an excellent morning yoga class and lessons in ukulele playing, net fishing, and hula dancing.

The facilities are so lovely, engaging, and restful you may not want to leave.

But leave you should, for nearby Hamoa Beach is one of the best beaches in the world—a silver-black crescent cove with a roiling, yet safe and super fun, surf. (Author James Michener once wrote that Hamoa was one of the most perfect places in the Pacific, and Oprah Winfrey owns the adjacent property. Got the idea?) Hamoa Beach is public, but the hotel owns the only facilities there (with towels, lounges, umbrellas, water and bathrooms) and runs several shuttles there each day. (Shuttle driver Kepa is a real credit to the hotel, by the way, as is the young lady who staffs the hotel’s Hamoa facilities.)

Aside from Hamoa, Haleakala National Park—with its O’heo Gulch, “Seven Sacred Pools” and spectacular waterfalls—is the principal local attraction. It’s about 10 miles from the hotel (which takes about 45-60 hair-raising minutes to drive along one-lane twisting roads and teensy bridges). A little further on is the resting place of aviator Charles Lindbergh, buried in the graveyard of a charming little church. Other attractions (five miles from the hotel in the other direction, closer to the tiny Hana Airport) include the Maui Caves (lava tubes) and a black sand beach.

Want to go yet? You should.

But be aware of a couple of things. First off, the hotel offers no shuttles, or an adequate number of rental cars, to take guests to see the must-see local sites, other than Hamoa.

When I booked the reservation, I told the hotel rep in Texas that I would need to rent a car in Hana to see the O’heo Gulch, etc., and I was told it was no problem. The hotel had cars, I was told, just ask when you get there. Well, no. That’s not how it works, turns out.

The hotel evidently only has TWO rental cars, and they are reserved months in advance by other guests (for a week or two at a stretch, and therefore not available to anyone else). It was difficult, expensive, and frankly a bit stressful to convince the concierge to arrange for a rental car to be “specially” brought in so we could see these places we had flown all the way to Hana to see.

(And don’t expect to find any rentals or other services in the “town” of Hana—it’s just a short street with a gas station, a lovely 1838 Congregationalist church and cemetery, a post office, a Buddhist temple, and the charming Hasegawa General Store founded in 1910). As far as rental cars go, you are completely dependent on the hotel, unless you drive to Hana in your own vehicle (we flew).

There should be more rental cars on property, or an arrangement should be made with tour companies that pass through Hana on their way to some of the above-mentioned sites; these tours might be able to make a stop at Travaasa Hana to pick up hotel guests, etc.

Other suggestions:
A ball machine for the tennis courts might be a very affordable and worthwhile investment to make them more accessible to guests, like me, who would have liked to hit but didn't have a partner. The courts appeared well maintained, but unused during our three-day stay.

Finally, I think it would be a very good idea for Travaasa to install kitchenettes in at least some of the rooms, as an option. There are not a lot of dining choices in the area, especially at night. We enjoyed the excellent, though expensive, hotel and HRR restaurant (both run by Longhi’s, based out of Lahaina on the other side of Maui). But we would have appreciated more affordable options. It may not be feasible to build full kitchenettes, at least in the short term. But a larger fridge and a microwave in each room shouldn't be that hard to manage. And it would be hugely beneficial to guests, especially those desiring a longer stay. Which would certainly include us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wes_SantaMonica
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Aloha Wes_SantaMonica,

I am very impressed with your history of this property!

I would like to apologize for our miscommunication about the rental car rental procedures that left you without a vehicle for part of your stay. I hope the Jeep that was made available to you sufficient to enjoy the sites of Hana. I have also instructed our Reservations department to properly communicate at the time of booking that a rental car is strongly suggested for those traveling via aircraft.

I appreciate your kind words about Kepa who is a truly an asset to Travaasa . I would also like to thank you for well thought out suggestions.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences and we look forward to hosting you again.

Mahalo,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Maui
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I only had time for a one night stay. We just didn't want to leave! It was so peaceful, relaxing and just a true feel of how Hawaii use to be.. The customer service was great, the grounds were pretty and the views are breathless. Someday if were lucky enough we want to stay at the cottages, I actually picked the one out I want to stay at. ;-) It's nice to know that there are amenities of no cost not many resorts offer that! I know first hand. Thank you Travaasa Ohana for making our stay worth coming back for!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mauigirl1965
Aloha mauigirl1965,

Thank you for sharing your overnight stay experience with our Tripadvisor readers. It’s great to hear you had a chance to enjoy the peacefulness and relaxation we are known for. The Travaasa Ohana would like to thank you for staying with us and look forward to your return.

Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I have been regular visitors to Maui for many years now, always staying at a small Condo resort in West Maui. However, one of the highlights of each visit is a day trip to Hana – usually travelling all round East Maui, and stopping for lunch at the Hana Hotel. This hotel seems to be one of the most tranquil and relaxing places I know anywhere – the sound of birds twittering, breezes rustling through trees, the tropical air wafting through the open lobby and restaurant areas of the hotel all combining to create a magical feel. This year, as we did once a few years ago, we felt we wanted to return and spend a night here, so we did.

I reviewed the hotel on the previous occasion and found much to enjoy but also some areas for improvement – notably the quality and value of the restaurant.

Since our last stay, the hotel has been acquired by Travaasa and we were concerned that they might have made undesirable changes – perhaps spoiling what was good. The good news is that they’ve changed very little – it looks and feels and seems to operate largely the same as before. The bad news is that they didn’t improve the restaurant food.

The setting and the grounds are lovely – very spaciously spread over a very large site. Even the garden rooms such as ours have a very pleasant view of a large lawned area with colourful tropical trees, and the more expensive rooms of course have ocean views too.

Our room – in the cheapest category – was very large, with stylish and high-quality furnishings, a large bathroom with sunken bath and separate walk-in shower, and “kitchen” area, with fridge and coffee making facilities (including fresh coffee beans and grinder). There was also a large lanai, with table, chairs and two sun-loungers. This was all very nice and better than we remember from our previous visit, so perhaps Travaasa can claim credit for this. The only drawback (which we also experienced last time) was the difficulty of getting enough ventilation through the room at night – it was too warm and a little stuffy.

My wife has a disability, but we found the room was easily accessible by wheelchair from the main building. Some of the more distant rooms might not be but the hotel operate golf carts to transport people and luggage around the site. As my wife couldn’t tour the grounds on foot, we asked if someone could take us on a round trip on a cart. As this seemed to be well beyond the normal service one would expect, we offered the driver a tip but he refused this, in line with their (admirable) no-tipping policy.

So, it’s all good, except for two things:

1. We’ve often had lunch here and found it quite good but rather expensive. This time of course we also had dinner and – just as on our previous visit – it was extremely expensive and very mediocre. To put that in context, we eat regularly at all the best restaurants in Maui (both on the west side and in the Wailea area); the meal at this hotel was by a long way the most expensive of all the meals we had in over two weeks and by far the worst – my Tempura Ahi, was soggy and completely lacking in flavor - and everything else we had was equally poor. This is exactly the same experience we found last time and is very disappointing.

2. This hotel prides itself on creating a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. A card was put through our door suggesting that we might like to meditate first thing in the morning, and this is typical of the whole tone of the place. The rooms don’t have TVs for the same reason. So, why would they put us (a couple) between families with children? One of these was pretty quiet but the other child had a very loud voice and started using it generously from about 6:30am. They have a family section of the hotel, so I really think they should put all families with children there to ensure the peace and tranquility for everyone else.

I don’t want to be too negative about this hotel as it really is one of the most relaxed and beautiful places we ever stay. If they could only fix the restaurant and the family issue, I’d rate it a very strong 5 stars.

6 Thank Alan_from_Hampshire
Aloha Alan_from_Hamshire,

Thank your for taking the time to share your experience in such detail with our Tripadvisor readers. I would like to begin by apologizing about your dining experience. Our restaurant operators Longhi’s, pride themselves in using only the freshest of ingredients from the fish that are caught here in Hana, vegetables and beef from the Maui. I have shared your comments with our restaurants to ensure better measures are in place for a consistent quality product.

I would suggest before your next visit, inform our Reservationist your need to be away from families with children and we will do our absolute best to accommodate your request.

Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hana.

San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

My friend and I wanted to do the drive to Hana without the pressure of having to get there and back to Wailea in one day. That thought was exhausting so I searched out places to stay and discovered Travaasa. I am so glad I found this place.

The greeting by staff was warm and made us feel like V.I.P. guests: welcome juice, kukui nut lei, tour of the grounds via golf cart, smiles and greeting from all staff members.

The grounds were breathtaking. I cant even begin to describe how many types of flowers, trees, birds I saw across the property. Every vantage point was a postcard photo.

The activities in and around the property that they offer are vast. You can relax with spa treatments, swim in their salt water pools (goodbye chlorine!) or hot tubs, horseback riding through the area, snorkel in Hana Bay, throw net fishing, learn to play the ukulele, take a glide flight over Haleakala, and the list goes on. Had my stay have been longer I would have done them all.

The rooms are very nice. I stayed in a standard room with two queen beds and found it very comfortable and well appointed. I have never been a snob about rooms where I have stayed so I don't stay too focused on this aspect when reviewing places unless the room was downright dirty.

They have a restaurant which has a beautiful spanning view of the grounds and serves delicious food for all meals of he day. They even have nightly music to accompany dinner guests from local musicians.

The best part of this entire experience was the people working at Travaasa. I never felt like I was imposing them or that they were not willing to go that extra step to answer questions or make me feel comfortable. Andrew in particular is a native of the area and had loads of great stories of the area and its rich history. He even gave me a tip on a great snorkeling area which was the birthplace of a queen and King Kamehameha I first and favorite wife.

I will say that this place is not cheap but the expense was worth every penny if you are looking for a unique, beautiful , and relaxing getaway. I've been to some great places in my travels and this ranks right up there at the top of my list of most favorite experiences. I will return for sure.

Stephen Nelson
San Diego, CA

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Aloha Stephen,

Thank you very much for your amazing review of your stay. I’m very pleased you had a great time and had the opportunity to explore a culturally significant area of our queen Ka’ahumanu’s birth place. It sounds like you kept yourself busy with our activities and found time to relax as well at our Spa. Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hana and we look forward to hosting you again.

Gold River, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

my husband and I have been coming to Hana for many years and have been through many changes at the hotel and we still love it.
WE have gotten to know many of the staff who are always so wonderful to us...and so welcoming and always smiling!
we have a condo on the other side in Kihei and it is always so refreshing to return Hana which remains the same!
Danny Mynar the manager was raised and went to school in Hana so he makes it especially special!

Room Tip: we have stayed in the Sea Ranch cottages and enjoyed them but now are very happy in room 51 in the g...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Aloha sugarplumfairy78,

Thank you for your review and a perfect score! It is our privilege to have had the opportunity to host you over the years and look forward to welcoming you back to your Hana Ohana in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Manhattan Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
After the demise of the Big Islands’ Kona Village Resort in March of 2011, we began a search for a place to continue our 30-year enjoyment of “Real Hawaii”. This year we tried the revamped Hana Maui Resort, recently rechristened Travaasa Hana.
The Good:
Travaasa has two distinctly different environments, low-rise hotel-type rooms that accept children and are served by a family pool/activity center, and a “Sea Ranch” area that is restricted to 16 and older and contains an adult infinity pool. Sea Ranch cottages are either family doubles or two to a bungalow singles, each with a large deck, some with hot tubs. The early 8os interior of our hale was partially upgraded and very nice. The “stiff” platform bed, not so much.
Overall, the sea ranch side of the resort was quite, scenic, and comfortable. Transportation between sea ranch and the resort facilities is readily available.
The Bad:
NO BEACH. From Travaasa you can walk downhill to the Hana Harbor where there is good snorkeling near the pier on a clear day. For sand, the resort provides a shuttle to a nice beach a few miles away. Service there or back is every two hours on the hour.
Limited, but expensive food choices. The resort has three food options; a limited bar menu in the lounge, a small but diverse dinner menu in the main dining room and a family menu in the Hana Ranch Restaurant that is located just off property. The Breakfast menu in the dinning room is standard hotel fare and runs about $50 for two. Lunch is a buffet that is popular with the busses that run from other parts of the Island. Dinner is a stale, static menu that varies only in the details of preparation of the 10 or so dishes available. Dinner was consistently $125 to $150 for two.
The UGLY:
OUCH. When we first arrived, I stepped out on our deck to see the view and immediately punched a hole (I was admittedly barefooted) in my foot on a rusty finish nail stick up from the flooring. A quick look found 50 more sticking up between a half and one inch. In addition, the decking was rotted, uneven and splintery. The on-site construction manager claimed that these decks would soon be properly upgraded (who is unskilled enough to use finish nails to secure decking?).
YUCK: We ate only once at the Hana Ranch Restaurant. Unfortunately that was once too many since my wife got significant food poisoning resulting in the runs at both ends. It was probably the Eggplant Parmesan, but overall cleanliness may have been a factor.
View, or lack of it. We used a Luxury Link package for our week long stay at Travaasa. The room promised was to have a “panoramic ocean view”. What we got was a deck with a narrow slice of ocean view and a panoramic view on the bungalows between the ocean and us. Only 8 or 10 of the Sea Ranch units have “panoramic ocean views. If you want one (and that nice ocean sound) ask for rooms 411, 412, 511 or 512. Since the resort was mostly unoccupied, it was insulting that they gave us a room with a dilapidated deck and a miniscule view.
Getting there and back: Our package included air transport from the main Maui airport and Hana on Mokulele Airlines. The 15-minute flight down was great. The return flight was cancelled, leaving us to call for a taxi which took three hours to get to Hana and enduring a 3 hour return ride up a 50 mile, two lane road with 52 one lane bridges and no restrooms. Although a great adventure, we would have preferred to avoid it. The resort did refund our share of the taxi ride but don’t trust Mokulele if you need to make another flight.
Other Stuff:
We unfortunately encountered one couple who felt empowered to remove our belonging from our pool chairs while we were eating breakfast, simple because “they always sat there”.
All of the Hotel staff had as lack of empowerment and when confronted with a decision or request told us to call someone else. The exception was the Concierge, HOKU, who got it done for us.

Room Tip: Book Sea Ranch 411, 412, 511 or 512 and get a ocean view and the surf sounds at night.
9 Thank ackermanmb
Aloha Ackermanmb,

I apologize about your unfortunate experience here at Travaasa Hana. I understand there were numerous attempts by my management staff to rectify your situation, but those attempts were not to your satisfaction. Again, please accept my apologies for not delivering a quality product and service we are known for.

Pukalani, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have been in the hospitality industry for over twenty years and have stayed at countless hotels and resorts around the world, with the Travaasa Hotel Hana still ranking as my absolute favorite hotel on the planet. In today's cyber-paced world, this hotel provides welcome relief to the pace that so many of us are accustomed to. To borrow a phrase, it is like a bubble bath for your heart and champagne for your soul. It is, in my opinion, next to impossible to feel stress or anxiety of any sort at Travaasa. I have always said that this is where to go when you want to turn the volume of life down to zero. The silence is golden, and is only broken by the whisper of the wind and waves, the sound of the birds, the occassional rainshowers, and the warm greetings of aloha shared by the staff. Really, there is no place I would rather spend my free time. Hana remains, thankfully, a place apart from the rest of the world, and the wonderful people at Travaasa provide gracious and warm service that is always at the right cadence and the right volume.....there is peacefulness built into the DNA of this resort. GM Danny Mynar has done a wonderful job of guiding his team and elevating the experiential aspects of this resort. Although the resort has made some realtively big changes over the years, the aura of the property and the town have not changed much at all, which is truly a blessing in this day and age. There are plenty of activities for those who are active, but my advice is to bring a book or two and just allow yourself to bask in the uncluttered glory of this unique setting with an easy read and the laziest of days. If you want to really relax and recharge your batteries, Travaasa Hana will do the trick. Take a deep breath. Now take a few more deep breaths. That feeling....you don't even have to try in Hana. It just happens quite naturally.................Aloha.

2 Thank Scott O
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Aloha Scott O,

Thank you for such a beautiful and heartfelt review of your stay. My job as the GM of this iconic property is very easy when having the privilege to work with a team that genuinely cares about the property, each guest no matter if it’s their first or 50th visit and will do whatever it takes to make each guest experience a unique and memorable one. Thank you again for you for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Mahalo,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!