“Amazing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Pukalani, Hawaii
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Highly recommend visiting Travaasa Hotel if you plans include Maui or Hawaii. You will immediately be enveloped by the warmth of their aloha. The staff are so welcoming and want your stay to be very special.

The Sea Ranch cottages have a million dollar view. You can watch full moon rises or whale watch from your bed. Some units have private jacuzzi's which are very inviting. The units do not have clocks and TV's which is perfect for unwinding both digitally and physically.

Visiting the award winning spa is almost required (smiles). Two years running, best spa on Maui. The setting alone will lower your heart rate. The treatments take you to another level of ahhhhh.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. Talk story with them and you will experience aloha.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John W
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Aloha John W,

Thank you very much for mentioning our magnificently assembled team members that are a treat to work with and their amazing ability to make every guest feel welcomed. I’m very pleased you enjoyed the serenity of our Sea Ranch Cottages and yes those views are magnificent. Oh yes, our Spa is spectacular and will definitely take your breath away.

Thank you for your review and for choosing Travaasa Hana. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Mahalo,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
CALIFORNIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

a remarkable property in a remarkable true hawaiian land. this retreat (destination) is for those who wish to be with nature and no crowds. nightlife is dinner. that's it and welcome to it. the day can be filled with activities from beaches to streams to walks and hikes, horseback and learning the hawaiian culture.
although the hotel has gone through dramatic changes through the decades, it is very upscale lovely. well managed and needs our patronage. deserves it.
#1 on anyone's bucket list.

Room Tip: garden rooms are wonderful - sea ranch cottages fabulous/expensive.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Aloha tbrodek,

Thank you very much for your review! Travaasa Hana is indeed one of those special destinations that one needs to experience to truly taste the Hawaii of old. Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hana and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is one of my favorite places on the planet. My three children (ages 4, 5, and 8) claim this to be their home away from home (We live in Wailuku) and it's tops on the list for their birthdays over and over again.

Dawn at the Concierge desk has become a lovely friend and all the staff members make us feel as though we're family.

The grounds and rooms are lovingly cared for, the views exquisite, activities are so much fun (fresh coconut anyone?)

It's important to understand that this is not a place that can be compared to any other resort on the island. This is a place to slow down, enjoy relationships, talk, explore, and meditate. You will pay a premium for food because of the remoteness of Hana itself.

This is our families favorite magic spot to visit. I don't recommend just driving through Hana - you MUST stay at least a night at Travaasa!

Room Tip: Couples should take advantage of the Sea Ranch Cottages - so beautiful. For families, the garden roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MariahMilan
Aloha MariahMilan,

I am very pleased to hear that you and your Ohana enjoyed yourselves in Hana and we have earned the privilege to be your home away from home. Thank you for mentioning Dawn and our team members for making you feel part of our Ohana.

Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hana and we look forward to welcoming you back home.

Santa Monica, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Hotel Hana Maui (now owned by Travaasa of Austin, Texas) is an extraordinary property that dominates the tiny town, and economy, of Hana, on the isolated eastern (rainforest) side of Maui.

Since its founding in 1947 by San Francisco industrialist Paul Fagan (who also built a baseball field in Hana for his S.F. Seals professional team to practice on, in the days before the Giants came to S.F.), the hotel has had numerous owners, including the local cattle ranch, a group of Japanese businessmen who failed in their attempt to build a golf course, and Caroline Hunt (from the Texas oil family). Travaasa has owned the spread for about 2-3 years.

And what a spread it is, sprawling over some 77 acres (or more?) of lawns and flowering trees and bungalows. The saltwater infinity pool and whirlpool overlooking the Pacific will take your breath away. The hotel also has tennis courts and maintains a stable of horses; guided horseback riding in pastures alongside the ocean is well worth the $75/hr. charge. And the hotel has other activities, some free, some not, including an excellent morning yoga class and lessons in ukulele playing, net fishing, and hula dancing.

The facilities are so lovely, engaging, and restful you may not want to leave.

But leave you should, for nearby Hamoa Beach is one of the best beaches in the world—a silver-black crescent cove with a roiling, yet safe and super fun, surf. (Author James Michener once wrote that Hamoa was one of the most perfect places in the Pacific, and Oprah Winfrey owns the adjacent property. Got the idea?) Hamoa Beach is public, but the hotel owns the only facilities there (with towels, lounges, umbrellas, water and bathrooms) and runs several shuttles there each day. (Shuttle driver Kepa is a real credit to the hotel, by the way, as is the young lady who staffs the hotel’s Hamoa facilities.)

Aside from Hamoa, Haleakala National Park—with its O’heo Gulch, “Seven Sacred Pools” and spectacular waterfalls—is the principal local attraction. It’s about 10 miles from the hotel (which takes about 45-60 hair-raising minutes to drive along one-lane twisting roads and teensy bridges). A little further on is the resting place of aviator Charles Lindbergh, buried in the graveyard of a charming little church. Other attractions (five miles from the hotel in the other direction, closer to the tiny Hana Airport) include the Maui Caves (lava tubes) and a black sand beach.

Want to go yet? You should.

But be aware of a couple of things. First off, the hotel offers no shuttles, or an adequate number of rental cars, to take guests to see the must-see local sites, other than Hamoa.

When I booked the reservation, I told the hotel rep in Texas that I would need to rent a car in Hana to see the O’heo Gulch, etc., and I was told it was no problem. The hotel had cars, I was told, just ask when you get there. Well, no. That’s not how it works, turns out.

The hotel evidently only has TWO rental cars, and they are reserved months in advance by other guests (for a week or two at a stretch, and therefore not available to anyone else). It was difficult, expensive, and frankly a bit stressful to convince the concierge to arrange for a rental car to be “specially” brought in so we could see these places we had flown all the way to Hana to see.

(And don’t expect to find any rentals or other services in the “town” of Hana—it’s just a short street with a gas station, a lovely 1838 Congregationalist church and cemetery, a post office, a Buddhist temple, and the charming Hasegawa General Store founded in 1910). As far as rental cars go, you are completely dependent on the hotel, unless you drive to Hana in your own vehicle (we flew).

There should be more rental cars on property, or an arrangement should be made with tour companies that pass through Hana on their way to some of the above-mentioned sites; these tours might be able to make a stop at Travaasa Hana to pick up hotel guests, etc.

Other suggestions:
A ball machine for the tennis courts might be a very affordable and worthwhile investment to make them more accessible to guests, like me, who would have liked to hit but didn't have a partner. The courts appeared well maintained, but unused during our three-day stay.

Finally, I think it would be a very good idea for Travaasa to install kitchenettes in at least some of the rooms, as an option. There are not a lot of dining choices in the area, especially at night. We enjoyed the excellent, though expensive, hotel and HRR restaurant (both run by Longhi’s, based out of Lahaina on the other side of Maui). But we would have appreciated more affordable options. It may not be feasible to build full kitchenettes, at least in the short term. But a larger fridge and a microwave in each room shouldn't be that hard to manage. And it would be hugely beneficial to guests, especially those desiring a longer stay. Which would certainly include us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wes_SantaMonica
Aloha Wes_SantaMonica,

I am very impressed with your history of this property!

I would like to apologize for our miscommunication about the rental car rental procedures that left you without a vehicle for part of your stay. I hope the Jeep that was made available to you sufficient to enjoy the sites of Hana. I have also instructed our Reservations department to properly communicate at the time of booking that a rental car is strongly suggested for those traveling via aircraft.

I appreciate your kind words about Kepa who is a truly an asset to Travaasa . I would also like to thank you for well thought out suggestions.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences and we look forward to hosting you again.

Maui
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I only had time for a one night stay. We just didn't want to leave! It was so peaceful, relaxing and just a true feel of how Hawaii use to be.. The customer service was great, the grounds were pretty and the views are breathless. Someday if were lucky enough we want to stay at the cottages, I actually picked the one out I want to stay at. ;-) It's nice to know that there are amenities of no cost not many resorts offer that! I know first hand. Thank you Travaasa Ohana for making our stay worth coming back for!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mauigirl1965
Aloha mauigirl1965,

Thank you for sharing your overnight stay experience with our Tripadvisor readers. It’s great to hear you had a chance to enjoy the peacefulness and relaxation we are known for. The Travaasa Ohana would like to thank you for staying with us and look forward to your return.

Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I have been regular visitors to Maui for many years now, always staying at a small Condo resort in West Maui. However, one of the highlights of each visit is a day trip to Hana – usually travelling all round East Maui, and stopping for lunch at the Hana Hotel. This hotel seems to be one of the most tranquil and relaxing places I know anywhere – the sound of birds twittering, breezes rustling through trees, the tropical air wafting through the open lobby and restaurant areas of the hotel all combining to create a magical feel. This year, as we did once a few years ago, we felt we wanted to return and spend a night here, so we did.

I reviewed the hotel on the previous occasion and found much to enjoy but also some areas for improvement – notably the quality and value of the restaurant.

Since our last stay, the hotel has been acquired by Travaasa and we were concerned that they might have made undesirable changes – perhaps spoiling what was good. The good news is that they’ve changed very little – it looks and feels and seems to operate largely the same as before. The bad news is that they didn’t improve the restaurant food.

The setting and the grounds are lovely – very spaciously spread over a very large site. Even the garden rooms such as ours have a very pleasant view of a large lawned area with colourful tropical trees, and the more expensive rooms of course have ocean views too.

Our room – in the cheapest category – was very large, with stylish and high-quality furnishings, a large bathroom with sunken bath and separate walk-in shower, and “kitchen” area, with fridge and coffee making facilities (including fresh coffee beans and grinder). There was also a large lanai, with table, chairs and two sun-loungers. This was all very nice and better than we remember from our previous visit, so perhaps Travaasa can claim credit for this. The only drawback (which we also experienced last time) was the difficulty of getting enough ventilation through the room at night – it was too warm and a little stuffy.

My wife has a disability, but we found the room was easily accessible by wheelchair from the main building. Some of the more distant rooms might not be but the hotel operate golf carts to transport people and luggage around the site. As my wife couldn’t tour the grounds on foot, we asked if someone could take us on a round trip on a cart. As this seemed to be well beyond the normal service one would expect, we offered the driver a tip but he refused this, in line with their (admirable) no-tipping policy.

So, it’s all good, except for two things:

1. We’ve often had lunch here and found it quite good but rather expensive. This time of course we also had dinner and – just as on our previous visit – it was extremely expensive and very mediocre. To put that in context, we eat regularly at all the best restaurants in Maui (both on the west side and in the Wailea area); the meal at this hotel was by a long way the most expensive of all the meals we had in over two weeks and by far the worst – my Tempura Ahi, was soggy and completely lacking in flavor - and everything else we had was equally poor. This is exactly the same experience we found last time and is very disappointing.

2. This hotel prides itself on creating a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. A card was put through our door suggesting that we might like to meditate first thing in the morning, and this is typical of the whole tone of the place. The rooms don’t have TVs for the same reason. So, why would they put us (a couple) between families with children? One of these was pretty quiet but the other child had a very loud voice and started using it generously from about 6:30am. They have a family section of the hotel, so I really think they should put all families with children there to ensure the peace and tranquility for everyone else.

I don’t want to be too negative about this hotel as it really is one of the most relaxed and beautiful places we ever stay. If they could only fix the restaurant and the family issue, I’d rate it a very strong 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alan_from_Hampshire
Aloha Alan_from_Hamshire,

Thank your for taking the time to share your experience in such detail with our Tripadvisor readers. I would like to begin by apologizing about your dining experience. Our restaurant operators Longhi’s, pride themselves in using only the freshest of ingredients from the fish that are caught here in Hana, vegetables and beef from the Maui. I have shared your comments with our restaurants to ensure better measures are in place for a consistent quality product.

I would suggest before your next visit, inform our Reservationist your need to be away from families with children and we will do our absolute best to accommodate your request.

Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hana.

Mahalo
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

My friend and I wanted to do the drive to Hana without the pressure of having to get there and back to Wailea in one day. That thought was exhausting so I searched out places to stay and discovered Travaasa. I am so glad I found this place.

The greeting by staff was warm and made us feel like V.I.P. guests: welcome juice, kukui nut lei, tour of the grounds via golf cart, smiles and greeting from all staff members.

The grounds were breathtaking. I cant even begin to describe how many types of flowers, trees, birds I saw across the property. Every vantage point was a postcard photo.

The activities in and around the property that they offer are vast. You can relax with spa treatments, swim in their salt water pools (goodbye chlorine!) or hot tubs, horseback riding through the area, snorkel in Hana Bay, throw net fishing, learn to play the ukulele, take a glide flight over Haleakala, and the list goes on. Had my stay have been longer I would have done them all.

The rooms are very nice. I stayed in a standard room with two queen beds and found it very comfortable and well appointed. I have never been a snob about rooms where I have stayed so I don't stay too focused on this aspect when reviewing places unless the room was downright dirty.

They have a restaurant which has a beautiful spanning view of the grounds and serves delicious food for all meals of he day. They even have nightly music to accompany dinner guests from local musicians.

The best part of this entire experience was the people working at Travaasa. I never felt like I was imposing them or that they were not willing to go that extra step to answer questions or make me feel comfortable. Andrew in particular is a native of the area and had loads of great stories of the area and its rich history. He even gave me a tip on a great snorkeling area which was the birthplace of a queen and King Kamehameha I first and favorite wife.

I will say that this place is not cheap but the expense was worth every penny if you are looking for a unique, beautiful , and relaxing getaway. I've been to some great places in my travels and this ranks right up there at the top of my list of most favorite experiences. I will return for sure.

Stephen Nelson
San Diego, CA

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Aloha Stephen,

Thank you very much for your amazing review of your stay. I’m very pleased you had a great time and had the opportunity to explore a culturally significant area of our queen Ka’ahumanu’s birth place. It sounds like you kept yourself busy with our activities and found time to relax as well at our Spa. Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hana and we look forward to hosting you again.

Mahalo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!