“We were looking forward to so much more based on prior reviews”
Review of ONO Organic Farms

ONO Organic Farms
Ranked #15 of 33 things to do in Hana
More attraction details
Owner description: Ono Organic Farms is a family owned and operated tropical fruit farm in Hana, Hawaii. Our family has been farming organically for over 30 years. We specialize in apple bananas, papaya, avocado, and a variety of exotic fruits including durian! Our Estate Coffee has been called "the Rolls-Royce of Hawaiian coffee, because the ride is so smooth!" Chuck grew up surfing and growing things along Maui's southern shore. He and his wife Lilly own and manage the farm with the help of numerous sons, daughters, grandkids, and apprentices. The richness and beauty of the land keep everyone happy and healthy.We sell our products at a roadside market stand in Hana, just past the gas station. Meet us there, 9 to 5, 7 days a week! We also offer Exotic Fruit Tasting Adventures at the farm, Monday through Friday at 1:30 pm by reservation. Come enjoy our Estate Coffee and an exquisite variety of fresh fruit -- fun for the whole family!
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We didn't have a bad experience but I wouldn't say it was "Ono" quality. We drove for 3.5 hours to make the 1:30 tasting in Hana from Kaanapali area. When we arrived we were greeted by 2 summer interns. Sweet enough young girls but they were from British Columbia. They didn't know much about the island or the farm. After listening to a few of their attempts to answer questions and feeling more qualified than them to answer we decided not to prolong their discomfort by adding adding more to their plate. The whole experience with tastings and farm tour was suppose to last 90 minutes. We left after 2 hours before the farm tour itself even started! We missed our dinner engagement with friends on the other side of the island.

Our recommendation would be to have Chuck or Lily provide the tour or at least do a better job training the interns. An intern led tour should not be full price as we think we missed some of the local flavor that could have been offered.

4  Thank Lori1229
"guava"
"maui"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We reserved a tour for 3 people with the expectation to walk through fruit farm to see how the tropical fruits trees grow in this area. We grew up with these fruits trees and ate these fruits regularly. We did not expect to taste the fruits there. We paid for a tour.

The ride on Hana Highway was wonderful and we saw beautiful scenic along the way. It was a little raining on the way. When we got to the farm, two other people were waiting for the same tour. We were told that we would taste the fruits before going on the tour. The young man did fruits presentation by cutting, peeling and offering fruits for us to taste. The man did the best of what he was assigned to do, but we were not impressed of the presentation. It did not make the fruits look good to eat. Many fruits were not ready and some were too ripe to eat.

After the presentation was over, the tour guide told us we would start walking into the fruit farm. The owner heard and came out from the office and said no farm tour today, she did not want to lose her farm from the accident because the ground was still wet.

If we were told that there would be no tour when we arrived, we would leave instead of paying much money to taste those fruits.

3  Thank MeKat513
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our virtually private tour (we booked it through the hotel and evidently there was a mix up so when we got there, they weren't expecting us). We went to visit Lindbergh's grave which is about 10 minutes from the farm, returned and they were ready w/2 lovely young girls who provided us with tastes of amazing fruits that I've never heard of, as well as giving us a short tour of the farm.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

My fiance and I went to Ono Farms because we were curious as to the crowd gathering near a fruit stand. Once we walked over to see a huge display of fresh fruit, some of which I have never seen, a young man helped cut up pieces for us to sample....it really was a treat..... and then it got it better when he told me of the coffee they grow right there are the farm.....being a former barista and coffee lover I decided to try it..... The Estate Gold Coffee is amazing and if you dont believe me...... I am writing this from Afghanistan and prepping to ship over another 4 bags of the whole bean coffee. yeah, its THAT good. Great time and a good overall stop from the long and winding Hana Road.

1  Thank Jason R
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 November 2012

When we booked the tour of Ono Farm, we'd been advised to come in hungry... So we came right after hiking the Pipiwai trail... And had an awesome time.

The tour is split in two parts: first a tasting of all the fruit that's in season, and when I say tasting I should be clear that it's not a nibble of this and a nibble of that. This part takes about an hour and it finishes when you are FED. We got to taste over 20 types of fruit, 8 of which we'd never tried or even seen before. I *thought * I had already tried a lot of exotic fruit but this really took it to another level... I cannot forget the taste of some of this stuff.

The tasting ends on a sweet note, with jams, honey and dried/roasted cocoa bean; then it's off to the garden for a little walk (and nibbling) among fruit trees of many different kinds that they keep around for people on the tour.

Overall a great tour.