“Watch out for the cows”

Kodiak, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Watch out for the cows”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We love this hike. It's beautiful and not too long to do with kids. We'd done the hike 2 years ago and upon visiting Hana again we decided to do it with our three kids 6,4, and 1( in the backpack ). When we got there the cows were close to the walkway but we thought they must be docile since there were no signs or warnings and we'd never heard of any worry about cows. So we hiked to the top and saw a lovely sunset. On our way down the cows were all congregated on the walkway , we just kept walking thinking they'd move as we got closer. One cow came running at us and stopped a few feet and started lowing and jumping in the air throwing his head around and another came up behind us doing the same! Lots of cows were runnig and throwing their heads around My baby and 4 year old were screaming in terror, we had walking sticks that I think kept them from charging and attacking us. I am so thankful we were all ok, we did not have a dog or any reason that we seemed threatening that I know of. I was so shaky and scared I wanted to cry. It IS a beautiful view and hike I just wished someone had told me about the danger of the cows before we went.

3 Thank Kodiakgirl104

• Korean first
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beautiful view”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The hike to the cross is very easy. Steep, but easy. The views of Hana from the cross are breathtaking. There are no restrooms up top, so make sure you take care of that before you begin the hike.

2 Thank Lissa J
Wailea, Hawaii
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A fun family hike”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The hike up to the cross was almost easy enough for our 2 year old and the view from the top is exceptional and beautiful, and the monument is interesting as well. I would recommend making the hike to Fagan's Cross if you are in Hana. It may also be best to go earlier in the day or later in the day, as we went around midday and it was fairly hot and made us quite sweaty.

Idaho
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A Panoramic View of Hana Bay”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

It's a good walk uphill to the cross and the reward is the best view one can find of Hana and the surrounding coastline.

Visited September 2013
Malibu, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Something the Daytrippers to Hana Might Not Experience”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Fagan's Cross was something I had not heard about, probably because so many people try to do Hana in a day. We stayed a couple of nights and it was well worth it.
Wear your hiking shoes. Take a camera. Go early or late--the vistas are incredible. I read up on Fagan. He was considered the "guardian angel" of Hana, and that is why this cross, constructed of lava rock, was erected in his honor, overlooking the magnificent Hana Bay. If you go early, you can park in the Hotel parking lot.
We went early, so we saw the sun rise out of the ocean as we were heading up the hill, and by the time we got there, it was reflecting magnificently behind the massive cross. The sounds of the waves, birds, cows and other animals awakening made for a most memorable moment.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank veritas1st

Been to Fagan's Cross? Share your experiences!