“Hit the spot”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Stopped here for an early dinner (food service ended at 7pm) on our way back from Oheo Gulch. It was a basic bar/restaurant atmosphere. Had the chicken wings, which were well done (as requested) and had a good fried chicken type flavor. Couple of cold beers hit the spot. Service was a little slow to start but then friendly. We were fine with the place, it is what it is.

There are newer reviews for Hana Ranch Restaurant

Reviewed 22 February 2009

The restaurant is like a low end country restaurant that serves greasy burgers, greasy deep fried wings and mac and cheese that tasted as if out of the can.

The restaurant closes at 7:00 p.m. You can charge food to your food at the Hotel Hana Maui. A meal for 2 with two beers ran us $50.

There are not many options in town. The Hotel Hana Maui is more expensive and somewhat better. I gave the Hotel Hana Maui 3 stars.

Reviewed 21 January 2009

After a long day driving to hana, a few hours at secret beach, we were hungry. Hana has limited options , so you are at the mercy of what you can find on the road.
We looked at the dining room , picked up a menu and the burger was 12 bucks inside, same kitchen, same burger!!
We sat outside!
That being said a burger is just that a burger ,a staple , simple to make good . Hey! everyone has cooked a burger!
I would consider myself a bit of a burger pro. Like many.
First The negetives, 8 bucks a pop ripoff plain and simple. 8 bucks is a gourmet burger. Well, at least the bottom end of gourmet!
Mine was undercooked, but the beef seemed fresh .Hey I was tasting it raw right? kinda like poke i guess and i did'nt get sick later. Neutral, A bit greasy. the bun was OK. fries nothing out of the ordinary.

Positives , their own beef, not premade paddy.The service was friendly with a smile, seating Ok, view nice.

I would not do it again. The Ulupalakua ranch store in Maui, is a good comparison. It being a bit less remote, a ranch and there own beef. It has a better burger there own beef, less cost.
the thing is Ronny Mc Dees does good burgers for 135 plus tax, yes they have economies of scale, but never undercooked and consistent BUT 8 bucks it gotta be good anything less is a shame.
Sell it for 5 like in many places in Kauai.
I hope this helps you have a great vacation.

1  Thank mauimongerJ
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We Wanted a place to sit and be served. Nice looking restaurant ..inside and out.
The service was just fine, the food was ok at best. The View was Stunning.
A little expensive though, I paid $15.00 for a Caesar salad w/grilled chicken.....not much chicken! And it was very dry and flavorless chicken. I wished I had just had a Caesar salad. My husband had a Burger ...he said it .."OK" nothing special .But it was $12-15
A $30 Lunch (plus) w/sodas and a tip......? More than we care to spend for LUNCH.... Maybe next time we would share a meal....there is plenty most of the time anyway, Or
Maybe before heading down the Hana highway (in Kahului at the walmart or a service station you should get a cooler (Styrofoam) leave it in your hotel when you leave-- as we did, for water and pop.....include a Subway sandwich and find a beach or a park to have lunch. It will be MUCH cheaper that way. and with a fantastic view.

1  Thank MinnesotaHawaiiphile
Reviewed 9 August 2008

Bad food. Rude staff. Slow to nonexistent service. They only care about the buses that they service everyday. I would not go back to this restaurant again if I had to live only on the fruit off the trees.