See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 August 2006

I have stayed at this B&B several times....Its in a beautiful, peaceful, relaxing environment and the owner, Joloyce, is friendly, hospitable and a joy to be around.

This is *not* your typical vacation destination. It is secluded from the already nearly uninhabitated Hana and offers a natural setting where you can hear the crickets, birds, and be among nature. Along with that, comes some of the creature comforts that one does not experience in the middle of an urban environment, but that is exactly why I go there....to get away from urban madness.

In the surrounding areas, there are beautiful and stunning views, waterfalls that fill ponds that you can swim in and see the ocean, hiking areas, beach, and of course, the tropical rain forest.

The first time I stayed at Hana Maui Botanical Gardens, I fell in love with the place and really enjoyed sitting and talking with Joloyce. She takes pride and care in the property, the flowers, fruit, and the grounds and cares that her visitors enjoy their stay.

I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a natural surrounding to unwind and enjoy nature.

• Stayed: December 2004, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank mal1129
Reviewed 2 June 2005

We found this place on lanierbb and booked two rooms at this place two months in advance, and PREPAID. Four of us planned a leisurely drive to Hana intending to stay overnight and drive back the other way the next day. Thank god we got there early.
When we arrived at the vacation rental it was deserted. After walking around and calling out, a young woman came out of one of the units not having any idea what we were doing there. She said one of the two units was ALREADY TAKEN and she had just finished cleaning the other but the people that booked it for that night had cancelled.
In retrospect this may have been a blessing. When my sister asked to use the bathroom the girl said she could in this "just cleaned" unit. My sister said there were hairs on the toilet and the sink, toiletries on the floor, cockroaches in the kitchen and was generally disgusting.
We asked her to call the owner and the girl told us the owner would be back in ten minutes. One hour later, the owner finally arrived claiming she had no idea who we were.
The owner, Joloyce, checked her calendar and couldn't find our reservation anywhere. As there were four of us we needed two rooms, but as the other room was occupied we couldn't stay there. It took twenty minutes of talking to get her to agree to a refund As we didn't trust her and she had no cash, she wrote us a check and said we could cash it at the General Store. At the store we asked the clerk if this had ever happened before and he said "All the time".
For anyone that has been to Maui you know that there is virtually nothing in Hana, including accommodations, and it is not near any other cities. Thankfully my sister lives on Maui and we were able to cut our trip short and go home. But if we had been tourists with nowhere else to go we would have been in serious trouble. Stay away unless you want to run the risk of sleeping in your car.

31  Thank tyko2000
Rainbow44, owner at Hana Maui Botanical Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2006

I am JoLoyce, the owner of Hana Maui Botanical Gardens. In response to the Fisher's experience.
I had just gotten out of the hospital and had to depend on others to help me. This is not always the best situation. So there was a mixup in their reservation. I don't deal in cash and had never written a check to be cashed at the store so it could not have happened before. The manager knows me and I am sure he would not have cashed a personal check when asked for authority unless he trusted me.

I do kinda like to have a life, so I ask people to arrive between 4 and 6pm , so I can be there to go with them and make sure that everything is OK. My "help" had been very unsatisfactory, but it is difficult to think it was really that bad? Or that she said she had just finished cleaning it? Normally, I would have gone down with them. But they arrived very early in the day.

I do have two guest books full of happy people who did love experiencing peace, quiet, solar electric, no tv, no phone in room, clean studios, walking the Gardens and picking fruit in season. I have also experienced the few that nothing would make them happy.

I do try to be as clear as possible in my web sites so people are not thinking they are going to a resort. It is Ecotourism which means, it is a place for special people that are concerned about the environment. I have been a Conservation Volunteer for over 25 years. I don't poison the room. I am what is called "off the grid". I have solar electricity and a radio phone. This means it comes off batteries like a car and there can be no hair dryers, charging of phones, cameras and such.

I do really enjoy visiting with people who want to visit. I have made some dear dear friends from people who have stayed here. I have a lot of repeat people and people who say they would really love to stay longer or come back. It is the real Hawaii..........God made bugs, too, is posted in my studios. It is the rain forest, so it rains.............it is fun to swim in the rain, really............the water is warmer than the air then.

This is really a special place that is disapearing. i really need to move closer to medical help. But where would I find 27 acres of peace and quiet and planted beautiful gardens, places for my dogs and cats to be happy and my soul is in this land after 30 years of loving it.