“Old 'n dirty”
Review of Joe's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Joe's Place
Ranked #9 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Hana
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Old 'n dirty”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Joe's Place is by far the cheapest rental in Hana. Expect nothing for the money you're paying. Rooms are dirty (dead flies all over the place, probably not cleaned for years), walls and doors are old and need a make over. The beds were still ok and the cleaning lady must have cleaned the room before we came, but just purely superficial. Just pay a little more in Hana and your stay will be much more pleasant. Near the door is a warning for mosquitos with the dengue virus, but the screens of the windows didn't close! The kitchen is dirty, we made ourself a microwave meal just to not have to use the kitchen equipment. Luckily for us, we were able to go to a Lahaina resort the next day and forget all about our stay in Hana. The only positive thing is the area, Hana is great, but that's clearly not an effort of Joe's Place.

1 Thank VrolijkeSlaper

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
chula vista, California, USA
Reviewed 30 September 2011

If you are planning on staying overnight in Hana, plan well and do your research. For $50/night, this place was affordable but not worth it!!! I will not stay in this place even if it was free. The kitchen was filthy, the bathroom had peeling tiles and filthy as well. I am not a camper but I would have rather camped than stay in this dump. I am insulted that they are even renting this place out. Camp instead of staying here. This place gave me anxiety attacks. I had to sleep on towels just so I do not lay on the sheets. This place was straight up disgusting. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

2 Thank imatraveler_79
Modesto, California
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I don't like to give negative reviews so I'm going to share our experience and let YOU decide if Joe's Place is what you are expecting.

First, location was great...the price was $50/night. We had a private room with shared bathroom; however, we always had it available when we needed it. Our room was on the front of the property so we could actually see the ocean from our bedroom window and hear the waves.

Ed, the owner, was very friendly and helpful. There is a full kitchen available for use and free coffee to make anytime you want. Also, many condiments and a few spices were available to use.

I was thankful we arrived after dark because in the morning when I woke I looked up at the ceiling fan to about 3 inches of dust. (I was very thankful we didn't have it on during the night! Disgusting!) The mattress was extremely uncomfortable and the pillows were so flat, even doubled they were still flat. Honestly, I've had fluffier pancakes than these pillows...no joking here! Neither of us got a very good nights sleep because we were uncomfortable.

Moving on to the bathroom; there was hot, running water and indoor plumbing so that was a plus. But the bathroom was so rusted-out and the sink was held up with two uneven rods. I seriously doubt the place has had any routine maintenance done for a long while.

I agree with the other reviewer who said it was "like camping but more expensive." That was our exact thought.

Personally, we are not interested in staying here again due to the lack of attention to cleaning.

2 Thank soulsisters
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Convenient to Visit the Eastern part of the island. Nice to meet people from all around the worl. But VERY DIRTY: kitchen dirty, bathrooms dirty (spider nets). Don't turn on the fans or you'll be showered with dust. Fortunately the bedroom was clean.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank French-girl-in-TO
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 6 July 2011

One reviewer said it well. Think of Joe's as camping (although I'm not sure I'd call it a step up from camping). Ed was fine when we were there. The place has an awesome location and we had a view of and easy access to Hana Bay. We too encountered roaches the size of small cars. My advice is to avoid cooking in the kitchen, in fact don't go in there. Your much more likely to be charmed by the hostel-like and homey (dirty home, but homey) atmosphere if you don't see the filthy kitchen. We did encounter the most ecclectic and interesting people from all of the world at Joes which was a huge plus and it allowed us to take a very leisurely drive on the way to Hana, stopping and really enjoying many locations without having to face the prospect of the return drive. It also meant we got to see 'Ohe'o gulch (a.k.a. the seven sacred pools) at a much less crowded time. And at $60 for a family of four (most places in Hana require 2 night stays and don't accomodate families) the price certainly was right.

Room Tip: Avoid the kitchen, check in and then vacate till dark, leave early the next day.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BlissedoutMama
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2011

First I have to say Don't believe the Travel Books! You do NOT need to stay in Hana. Joes place was a dump. we had nasty green shag carpet in our room. Granted the place was clean, but more along the lines of a youth hostel, and not even close to worth the $50 pricetag. Not to mention the rude owner. The road to Hana is great, but there is no need to stay in Hana, the city closes at 7 pm & you're trapped. Drive early- turn around in Hana & go back to civilization. but stay away from Joe's.

Room Tip: sleep in your car before you stay at Joes!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank slc23
Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I read the reviews and consider myself to be a good planner and traveler. I roll with any situation. With that said, from the reviews, I was ready for the surly inn keeper, Ed. Earlier in the day, on the road to Hana, I called Ed to ask about check in times. He replied "Lady, this isn't a hotel!" Uh, but don't you have check in/check out times?
I was also prepared for Joe's Place to have the basics needed for an overnight stay. As I said, judging from the reviews and photos, I thought I knew what I was getting into. My friend and I paid on arrival, THEN Ed showed us the room. It was disgusting. We wanted to run! Filthy green shag carpet, sagging beds, shear dingy curtains. The sun was beginning to go down, so we had no choice but to stay the night.
We never took our flip flops off in the room or the shower.... and I am not a 'precious' person.
Neither on of us slept a wink that night and headed out at 5:30AM. Hana may be charming, but our experience at Joe's Place spoiled the fun. I don't know what our room number was, but it had a double bed and a twin bed.

If you want to take the Road to Hana, go early, hit the good spots and drive back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SweetCakesLA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hana Oceanfront Cottages
Peace Of Maui
Peace Of Maui
#2 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Joe's Place? Share your experiences!