“Fun instructor, flexible reservations”
Review of Action Sports Maui

Action Sports Maui
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Beginner Surf Lessons on Maui South Shore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Action Sports Maui is a full service kite, surf, windsurf and SUP lesson, rental and retail center. We have beach side rental locations on the North and South Shore of Maui. Please visit our friendly staff for assistance with lessons of any level as well as rental and retail equipment!
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I called in last moment but they were able to get me a spot for a private surf lesson. The instructor (forgot her name) was cute and funny! She taught me all the fundamentals and I was able to catch my first two waves while in the lesson. They then let me keep the board for the rest of the day. The only complaint is that they close at 2:30 in that season (November) to the full day board rental with the lesson doesn't really mean full day. I only got one hour to keep the board. but that's fine because I was getting hungry anyway. I got the 1:30 hour private lesson and 2 hour rental after the lesson for $75 and they took me to a spot where there were no other surfers so I had all the waves to myself. There were other surfers just around 500 feet away. So I just went and surfed along with them after the lesson and caught 3 more waves. Surfing is one of the most fun activities, its even more fun than it looks. even falling while surfing is fun (not so with snow boarding or skate boarding), especially when the water is warm like in Hawaii. Mahalo!

2  Thank Apoorv B
in 7 reviews
in 11 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 1 October 2013

The Kanaha Beach Park is a perfect spot to learn windsurfing. There is a small bay where the wind is not to strong in the morning and it's shallow, so the teacher can stand in the water to give directions. Around noon the wind gets stronger and it's time for the more skilled to get on their boards.
Our kids had a great time with their windsurfing teacher Martin Verrastro. The first time our daughter (14) had a windsurfing lesson in a small group of four kids. She wasn't a total beginner and could practice. The second time our son (10) had a private lesson ( his first) and our daughter could rent a board at the same time. Martin was a great teacher and was very patient. First he explained the technic on land and then coached him on the water. He really got the basics and is ready for more!!!!!
Give Action Sports Maui a call and they will be glad to arrange a lesson for you. The service is very friendly!!!

2  Thank Claudia S
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Action Sports Maui helped insure I had the very best 40th birthday. I had always wanted to try standup paddle boarding so I booked it on my big day in Maui. I was nervously excited, but Felipe put my husband and I completely at ease. He was an excellent instructor!! We thoroughly enjoyed spending a couple of hours with him and we both learned all of the basics and how to be successful in implementing them. We were up within minutes, paddling around. We even caught some waves at the end! Action Sports Maui rocks!! We will recommend them to all our friends. Thanks guys...for everything!!

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I took a couple lessons in early June through Action Sports with Jason at kiteboard beach. Jason is an amazing instructor. I was extremely impressed, and learned a lot. Maui overall is absolutely amazing but kiteboarding lessons was definitely the highlight of my trip, and hopefully I'll be able to get back there one day soon. Thank you Action Sports for a great time :)

ActionSports, Manager at Action Sports Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Aloha Josh,
Thank you for the great review! We hope to see you back on Maui. Maui is windy year round so please keep in touch and we look forward to kiting with you soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My family and I took a windsurfing lesson in June 2013 and had a good time. The instructor was good and really helped my son get a feel for how to handle the board. My wife and I had a more difficult time and after about two hours we were ready to be finished. I enjoyed getting on the board and sailing out but struggled with some of the basics like turning. This is a great sport if your are young and in shape but can take a lot out of you if you're older. We still had a lot of fun and laugh about the experience. You need more than one lesson if you're body can take it. Go in the morning when wind is not as strong. Once the wind starts to pick up it gets more difficult.

Get good directions for getting to this beach, it's in a strange spot by the airport. You have to back all the way through the airport like you're returning your rental car. The sign to the beach is very small and easy to miss.

1  Thank John T