“Not bad but could be better”
Review of Maui Seaside Hotel

Maui Seaside Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kahului
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Not bad but could be better”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We wanted an inexpensive central hotel for a clean and quiet place to sleep after long days of exploring Maui. For the most part, this is an adequate hotel and it was surprisingly quiet, given the relatively busy location and number of guests booked over the holiday weekend (except for the chicken coop under our window, but we have wild chickens where I live in Honolulu so maybe I am accustomed). The hotel is a bit over priced, given the lack of amenities; we were told to pay $5 a day for parking, which was overbooked, so we parked off property in a nearby park. WI-Fi in the room had almost no signal, and at $8.95 per day, was not worth the expense, anyway. Beds were rather wobbly but we slept OK. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. We spent as little time in the hotel as possible, because we had lots to do, but the hotel reeked of cigarettes in most areas and it seemed very run-down inside (the grounds, however, were in beautiful condition).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lizochka65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Like many others, our inbound flight arrived late in the evening (11pm) and we wanted something close to the airport to crash for the night. We chose the Seaside as reviews consistently said it was the nicer of the two choices.

The hotel reminded me of the Braidwood Inn from the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - where the bedspread matched the curtains. Nothing fancy about this place - the beds have seen a lot of action. The carpet, drapes, tables, phone - I'm pretty sure are all the originals from when the hotel opened. However, it was all very clean and that's all I ask for in a budget hotel. The room had a small bar fridge (which they leave off so remember to turn it on if you need it) and a very loud air conditioner (which we just turned off). I saw reviews that said park on the street for free but I had no desire to drive around looking for a place to park. It's only $5. Our rate included breakfast in the attached restaurant which was very good. We found the staff to be very friendly and liked that access was restricted in the evenings. Our room opened out into the courtyard and the ocean which was nice to wake up to in the morning.

Overall, it did the job for us. If I was a budget traveler and needed a place to stay, this place would do the trick.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank patrickbpenguin
New York
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here three nights. Very nice hotel, large very clean, quiet room in the "budget" section. :) For Maui, it was a good price. I did purchase the plan with the included breakfast which wasn't the best option as I had early snorkle trips booking two of the mornings, and the restaurant did not open until 7am, which could be considered "later" for the breakfast crowd..
The free parking was fine, and I appreciated the non pay option.

One negative is their online booking feature of booking beds. You can't book specific bed options. I had to email the request for two beds, and got a reply that it was "noted". Did a follow up call, since the two beds were necessary for me. It would be far better to get online confirmation of bed numbers and types when booking.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank budgetqueen
Minnesota
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Maui Seaside Hotel on Feb. 11 for one night. I was looking for a place near the airport for our last night on the islands. First appearance upon entering the parking lot was "I hope the inside looks better than the outside." I had booked through a travel website and the package I selected was described as "Standard 2 Doubles Garden View Including Breakfast...Free Breakfast valued at $25 for two... Free Wi-Fi." We arrived at about 2pm and the desk attendance said we could not check into the room until 3pm. We left to get lunch and came about 2:45pm. Many people were waiting at the front desk for them to be assigned a room. I tried to access the free internet and asked the front desk for the code. The internet page stated that free access to the internet is in the lobby by the front desk - only. If you want to access the wifi in your room or other area of the property it required you to pay $8.95 per day. EACH time I logged off or stepped out of the free wifi area, I had to go back to the front desk, ask for another code and enter it.

The room... we were assigned our room and told it was in building 3. Building 1 and 2 (both two floors each) are on both sides of the outdoor pool. Building 3, which has 3 floors, looks like it may have been a different hotel at one time. Upon entering the room, it appeared to look fine. The room space itself was large. The beds had the used-a-lot appeareance, flat not round topped. It was nothing fancy, but it was clean. The room had a large window so I went over to look out. Our "Garden View" room had a view of the roofs of buildings 1 & 2, power lines, the west Maui mountains in the distrance; look to the right and see the water in the bay. If I put my head to the glass and looked straight down, I could see the grass between buildings 2 & 3, but I would not consider this a garden view by any means.

Property pros: fairly inexpensive for Maui, but I think still overpriced for the age of the buildings and what you get. The pool was clean and grounds around the pool is maintained and nice. The building does have a narrow beach by the bay. There is a restaurant onsite, another one block to the east, and there is a nice Italian restaurant across the street. Close to the airport, a Whole Foods grocery store, a gas station and the cruise port. Not far from Queens mall. Coin operated self laundry facilities on the property.

Property cons: The pool closed at 6pm!!! Not really a garden view. Free internet only in lobby or pay other areas. Long pass code required to enter each time. Staff that smiled but not necessarily friendly. Use of public computer in the lobby - need to hand over your drivers license at the front desk for use of the keyboard for the computer. The restaurant on the property closed at 9pm.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MNSandSeeker
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at the Maui Seaside Hotel on our 1st night (late night flight in) and last night of our vacation (early flight home the next morning). It was basic, but clean, and just what we needed to be close to the airport. The in-room refrigerator was handy, coffee pot was nice too. The tight parking was $5 and we did not receive a free breakfast. However, I would like to note that the restaurant right next to the hotel served a wonderful breakfast, and was reasonable (considering Hawaii's costs). We would recommend this hotel for a quick night when you need to be close to the airport.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Kapolei, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Older hotel near business contacts in Kahului. Nice pool and ocean views. Close to restaurants and bars. Friendly staff, breakfast could be better! Eggs were not fully cooked. Overall decent experience.

Room Tip: Be nice and friendly
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 11 February 2012

There are many different reasons why you stay at certain places. Sometimes it's to get away from the crowd, sometimes because you want something romantic, sometimes you want to save money and sometimes you want a convenient area. If you stay here, know why you're staying here.
If you do it right The Maui Seaside may work out for you. Here's what it isn't.
1. It's not luxurious
2. it's dated
3. it feels unremarkable, you may notice in the halls a dingy lit area, maybe the smell of smoke
4. the room we were in is not going to win any awards for views as ours had a look out to the parking lot.
5. if you have a lot of bags, you better have strong arms for the long distance you may have to haul although the elevator works in helping you get there.
6. The fridge in the room is tiny.
7. The bathroom works but it's not beautiful.
8. The beds were ok, but you'll hear a fair amount of traffic.
9. the lobby is active with people trying to get on the internet.
10. The pool is available but I saw no one swimming there.
11. There is a view of the north shore and it's not bad. You'll see people of all ages coming here to stay or to eat at the Coconut Room, which is average.
And .....
if you read the other reviews provided you'll find there are truisms all around. Everyone's point of view here is on target.

So why stay here when there are certainly other places that are far way better? Well....
1. It's close to the airport.
2. It's cheap
3. It's family run. Which is great when you consider much of the Maui economy is run by chains which are not local at all. So the money stays in Maui.
4. A lot of people stay here, some for extended periods. They must like it for a reason and they're nice people.
5. The service is truthful, which means it's good for what it is. A value oriented place to stay. You will notice on Maui that staying in Kahului is as romantic as an industrial byway with a strip of highway full of car dealerships, fast food restaurants etc. Yet....
You can always get in the car and picnic on a coastal area. Hana Highway is nearby. You'll be near all the conveniences of life like shopping centers and fast food.
If you're a student on a budget or a retired couple watching your pennies, you've come to a place which can help you out. If you are looking for the ideal escape or the lap of luxury, spend a lot more money somewhere else.
So.....know why you're staying here (for us, we had an early morning flight) and if you care about certain things and don't care about other things, this may be the right place for you.
I recommend Maui Seaside.

Room Tip: Try to get there early, that way you'll be able to secure a good parking spot and a room close b...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank daytripperNewYork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kahului
Maui Beach Hotel
#30 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston at Papakea Resort
Aston at Papakea Resort
#26 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Maui Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!