“Maui Seaside was good and I'd stay here again”
Review of Maui Seaside Hotel

Maui Seaside Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kahului
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights before the cottage I was renting was ready. Check in was great, with very friendly smiling staff and good directions on the hotel and parking, restaurants, groceries and shopping close by. They had the most lovely ice water with cucumber, orange and lemon slices in the lobby. Very refreshing!

I had a very clean room with king sized bed. Has small view of harbor off to the right, and the pool area and some landscaping off to the left. The complex is very quiet at night. My room (211) was on the second floor (top) and there was nobody on either side of me. The room was a bit outdated, but very clean, with exceptionally clean linens, the bed was comfortable, the pillows were not. The room is decorated in probably the 70s style with historic Hawaiian prints. It does not have that strange old smoke smell that comes from hotels that used to allow smoking and doesn’t any longer, nor those heavy cleaners or perfumy “Febreeze” type sprays, they use to cover it up. I can actually smell the salt water and hear the ocean waves from the harbor with the window open. Quite pleasant.

It has one large window that slides open to allow the island breezes, and a ceiling fan to circulate them around the room. I didn’t want it open during the day or evening, in case people were walking by, but here in the middle of the night I have it wide open and can clearly hear the waves washing in. Very little car noise from the road that goes right by Kahului Mall and this hotel. It is quiet at night.

There is a smallish flat screen tv in a center with drawers for your clothing, a desk with a long strip of electrical outlets (very convenient for phone chargers, laptops, other electronics). Free, and strong wifi signal, with clear instructions how to log in. There is a hair dryer in one of the drawers that will go unnoticed if you don’t put your clothing in the drawers. I guess no room in the bathroom to hang it. The nightstands are very old, chipped and stained. But the lamps worked well and had an extra plug in to use.

The bathroom is very, very clean, with a large mirror, a shelf and countertop for your items. In the closet area are a tiny mini fridge, with a coffeemaker and supplies. The air conditioner is smallish but blows cool air into the room and worked just fine to acclimate me to the heat, which was uncomfortable to me off the plane, since it is 30 degrees higher than I’m used to from our spring weather in the Pacific Northwest. In the same area are several hangers for your clothing, and a luggage rack. I would suggest an improvement would be putting in a microwave (it would fit nicely on top of the entertainment center where tv is) because you can’t warm anything up and all hot meals usually end up with leftovers. I also found out that some rates include a free breakfast over at the connected restaurant, (Tante’s Island Cuisine, which used to be the Coconut grill), since this was not mentioned to me, I guess the good rate they gave me didn’t give me the option for free breakfast. I wandered into the restaurant around lunch one day but the prices and the strangeness of the person who came and sat on the chair next to me while I looked at the menu put me off enough to just leave and eat snacks in my room instead.

I was wilting, very very tired and felt very disoriented upon arrival. I just wanted to rest. Since I was able to check in right away, I closed up the room, turned on the air as cold as it would get since the room was very hot at first, and rested for an hour or so before hunger drove me out looking for something to eat. I wasn’t up to a restaurant that first day, so opted for fast food, never really an option for me on vacation as I very much like to eat local, but wasn’t up for anything more than a quick burger. Then a fast stop at Safeway to get yogurt and a bagel for morning and I was back in the room and asleep by 5:45 p.m. It always takes me a few days to get past the time difference and I was exhausted from the travel.

Very nice place to stay, and I’d gladly stay there again. I admit to being a bit afraid of the “iffy” street area and leaving my rental car in the parking lot, as it feels a bit like it could be broken into at any time, but my car was fine. The parking is pretty tight and gets premium as the sun goes down. You are paying $5 a night to compete with locals for space around the hotel.

The beach in front of the hotel was very nice, exceptionally clean and had a few shells that were pretty neat. There was a cruise ship at dock while I was there and it left the next evening with a loud horn announcing it backing up. That was fun and entertaining to watch. The light at both sunrise and sunset is unreal with gorgeous sunrises and eerie shaded west mountains that look out of focus but is actually just the light hitting them in ways I have never seen before.

All of the staff here are super friendly and I would definitely stay again if I needed a room before my condo was ready.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor for quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank flwrgrdn

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is my third time staying at the Maui Seaside. I come to Maui to Kiteboard and in my opinion the Maui Seaside is the place to stay. It is three min. from Kanaha beach, in the heart of Kahului and everything you need is two min. away. I mean everything. Whole foods, Safeway, food land, every fast food place you can name, Home Depot, Loews, shops to rent kite gear, Cosco, Kahului is where locals go to buy stuff, it just happens to be three min. from one of the best kite beaches in the world. If you want an over priced hotel with marble bath rooms and tons of tourists don't stay at the Maui Seaside. If you want a simple, clean Hotel that is well maintained by an excellent staff, stay at Maui Seaside. If you want to be pampered or are looking to party, don't stay at the Maui Seaside. At Maui Seaside they take great pride in their little swimming pool and the immaculate grounds that surround it. Again, if you are coming to Maui to Kiteboard or windsurf, or you just want to be in Kahului, the Maui Seaside can't be beat.

Room Tip: Like being first floor room by the pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank matthullcommand... .
Reviewed 6 April 2014

It seems like most of the reviews for this hotel are folks arriving on an evening flight (and not wanting to drive to West Maui -- like us), or folks heading out and wanting to rest someplace close to the airport before leaving. For these purposes, the hotel fits the bill. The airport is quite close (yet the hotel is not in any flight path, so you don't hear planes).

The ladies at the front desk had smiles and were quite friendly.

They have two Apple computers in the lobby. You trade your photo ID for a keyboard, and you can surf away. If you need to print airline tickets, you can do that at these computers.

The grounds were meticulously maintained.

The parking is tight, and you have pay a few bucks to do it --- if you get there in time. If your flight is coming in late, call ahead and reserve a parking pass.

It's a short walk to a Chevron and a Burger King, so if you want snacks / drinks, those are close by. Another 100 yards past the Burger King is an open-air shopping mall, so during the day, it's just a few minutes' walk to that.

Based on other reviews, we requested a room AWAY from the elevator. And -- it was quiet all night. That said, the windows in the bathroom were high on the wall, but they opened directly to the walkway past the room, so if people were talking as they walked by, you heard every word.

Would I stay here again? Yes. Especially if I'll be arriving late and don't want to drive to West Maui. :-)

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator, and open your windows to get a nice cross breeze.
6  Thank writer42
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel is a hidden gem. It is on the mid-north side of Maui in an area without much tourism, in contrast with Kaanapali and Kihei areas. However, it is only 10-15 minutes to Kihei, so getting to the usual tourist areas is by a quick, uncongested highway. Every room is on a shared balcony with bay views from every room. The bay is a working, commercial waterway. It also has the best swimming beach I tried on Maui. It is a gentle sloping sand beach with gentle waves and no coral. I snorkeled there and saw barracuda, which I had never before seen on Maui. In the afternoon the canoe clubs next to the property go out and practice right in front of the hotel. The staff are very nice. This really is a hidden gem of a hotel for the budget minded.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean and pool views.
2  Thank e5454csc654
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Very decent, respectable hotel which we stayed at 1 night to avoid having to go all the way to Kanaapali after a Hana trip and before getting up for a Haleakala trip. We got an extra hour of sleep doing it this way! Hotel was nice & clean, staff were friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tikibird
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We suspected this place might be a dive when we booked, but given that we wanted to do a couple of things (like drive up Haleakala and go to the Iao Valley) before heading to Hana for a night, we decided to give this place a go as it was cheaper than the resort towns.

It actually turned out to be alright - we stayed in room 311 which looked over a public reserve towards the ports. The room was clean and well serviced each day. It was actually equivalent to the place that we stayed in Waikiki in terms of datedness etc, so we werent too disappointed.

Its across the road from a mall, and close to other malls/supermarkets etc. We paid for parking both nights, and it looked like they filled up their space allocation relatively early both days - you did have the option of parking next door if need be. Front desk and caretakers/cleaners were all very friendly.

Its not the kind of place you would want to base yourself if you were staying long term, but was good for a couple of cheaper nights during a long stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GingerKiwi
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Arrived late in the evening so wanted something convenient and cost effective. This fit perfectly. The shuttle drivers were friendly and accommodating, taking us back to the airport the next morning to drop us right at the car rental office. All the staff were friendly.
I wouldn't want to spend an entire vacation here, but it was great for what we needed. There is a foodland grocery just a short walk away.

Room Tip: We chose a garden view to make sure we weren't facing the busy road.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kahului
Maui Beach Hotel
#30 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston at Papakea Resort
Aston at Papakea Resort
#26 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Maui Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!