“Local Maui Japanese Restaurant...Casual, No Frills, But Excellent Quality Food!”
Review of Restaurant Matsu

Restaurant Matsu
Ranked #36 of 166 Restaurants in Kahului
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Mom and Dad's favorite so knew we would have a number of meals here during my 2 week stay from Vegas. This place is so popular, their following knows exactly when they're open, whether for lunch, dinner or both. I just said to my Mom, let's go when they're open for dinner (Thurs/Fri/Sat). Great selection of authentic Japanese foods - ramen, udon, soba, teishoku, donburi, as well as the typical local plates you'd be crazy not to offer for your local clientele. Not many touristas here as location is obscure and I don't know if they have a web presence; I doubt it. Seating is limited so many opt for takeout but it's way better to get their early and eat there. And don't be surprised if you're in line and the owner comes out to glance and then turns the sign over to "closed." They're not being rude, just upholding their business hours. MauiBoy

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is a typical Japanese eatery. You order at the counter first and then sit down. I wish their tempura was better, their batter is greasy and not light which it should be. The Katsu don was mostly rice and the sauce was too sweet. I wish the food was better.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

I am pretty surprised to see some bad reviews. Perhaps, the restaurant doesn't have ambiance and the best services, but the food is surprisingly good. The noodle in the tempura udon is one of the tops, and tempura itself is really tasty without thick batter (which I dislike).
we tried tempura udon, tempura ramen, spicy tuna roll and tonkatsu. all were tasty and my boys finished the tempura udon on their own. will be back before we leave Maui.

1  Thank NorCalSun
Reviewed 10 September 2017

This is a counter service restaurant but don't let that fool you. I loved the food. The fried chicken is amazing and the tempura was very light and not oily. A lot of locals eat here and I certainly will go back the next time I am on Maui. They also sell some packaged cookies that are amazing. I love the local laid back style. It was completely full the whole time we were there. It's located in a light industrial park, nothing fancy but excellent.

Reviewed 17 July 2017

I went there since it is on "10 best Asian restaurants" Maui list. I do not think this is the case however. Nothing special. Nobody calls McDonalds "best American restaurant" so this clearly applies to Matsu as well. Cheap self-service eatery. Food is average food court quality. California roll is much tastier in Safeway grocery story