“Pretty yummy”

Dining options: Takeout
bay area, ca
“Pretty yummy”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I wish we discovered this place at the beginning of our trip not the end! I believe there is also a restaurant in Lahaina, where we stayed. Anyway, we found this place on accident. I was looking for takeout food to bring on our plane ride home. Actually, I was craving fried rice from one of our favorite places, Aloha Mixed Plate. However, they stop serving fried rice past breakfast time. We decided to find a takeout place on our way to the airport. My husband pulled into this shopping center and we found Ba-Le in the center's food court. He pointed out that they had some pork fried rice as well as manapua (steamed or baked pork bun). We bought an order of the fried rice (pretty generous portion) and I grabbed a baked manapua. The fried rice was made to order and fresh (unlike some places where the food is pre-made and just sits under heating lamps). When we finally tasted the food on our plane, we couldn't believe how delicious the fried rice was. The pork manapua was delicious too. Next time we're in Maui, we'll come back- and check out the other shop in Lahaina, which I believe is located in the Cannery Mall. It's a good option if you're looking for a good cheap meal!

• Visited February 2014

Bryce Canyon City, Utah
“Good pho; wonderful sandwiches”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I consider myself an expert on pho, and this version is quite good. Enormous portions with a lot of meat; broth is a bit weak but OK once you spice it up and add the greenery they supply. Their sandwiches are very good; perfect for a picnic lunch.

• Visited February 2014
Pahoa, Hawaii
“great for a quick bite”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

this is a very good place to go to for a snack or a quick bite.....everything is fresh and reasonable....the service is also very fast

Visited July 2013
Maui, Hawaii
“Order by number, not name”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Some days, they are better than others with their orders. The other day at lunch was messy there.

I enjoy their pho and wanted their seafood variety. Said the word, not the number so I was served seafood saimin. Very tasty, lots of veggies, and happy to have had this 'mistake'.

My friend ordered her food and someone else did the same (lemongrass chicken) and hers was overlooked and the person behind her in line got her food - along with his complete order.

Excellent place to acquire small single french bread rolls. Just get there early enough to buy them.

They are not a chain but a franchise. Each outlet can be run by different people. Kahului location is in the corner of the strip mall off Dairy Road - Haleakala side, where Sports Authority is one anchor end and Lowes is the other.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Makalani
Calgary, Canada
“Average mall court Vietnamese food...but amazing baguettes!”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Located in the food court of the Maui Marketplace. Extensive menu. Ordered the lemongrass chicken with rice. Tasted like a sweet curry chicken and nothing like lemongrass chicken I've had elsewhere. Others ordered pho and the saimin which were okay. Best dish would probably be any of the baguette sandwiches. I have read that it is difficult to get good crusty bread on Hawaii. If that is the case, no one has told the folks at Ba-Le. The wife ordered a lemongrass chicken baguette and again, I will note the lemongrass chicken itself was a bit sweet and not enough lemongrassy for my liking, but the bread was fantastic! The sandwich was served warm with a great crust and soft pillowy dough interior.

I would definitely go back and try one of the other sandwiches. Good value.

• Visited April 2013