“Happily Mauied”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
Okanagan Falls, Canada
“Happily Mauied”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We began planning our wedding/honeymoon in early 2012. After extensive research we decided the Maui Coast was the place to be. Rooms are luxurious and pristine. Pools and spa clean. Hotel staff in all departments were friendly and soon called us by ou first name (cool).
The hotel is just across the road from a great beach and within walking distance to all sorts of entertainment/stores etc.

Planning our return to the Maui Coast for 2013

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor , had an oceanview fromthe balcony. Elevators and parking easily accesibl...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Glenn P
Mauicoast, Front Office Manager at Maui Coast Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Aloha and Congratulations!! Thank you for choosing the Maui Coast Hotel to celebrate your special occasion!! Our staff takes pride in the service we provide, and I thank you for acknowledging that. We certainly hope to see you next year to celebrate your anniversary!!

Rowena Tolentino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
vancouver
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This was my the second time at the Maui Coast Hotel. From the friendly greeting at the check-in to the final details of checking out, the Coast proved to be a great place to stay once again. The beds are fabulous (best hotel beds anywhere). Each day the room was well-cleaned. Decor is new. Good showers. All staff are friendly. The Expedia conceigere in the hotel lobby also very helpful. Happy hour at the poolside is fun and well-attended. The pool area and hot tub are clean. The gardens (the lawns, shrubs etc) all nicely maintained. Also, there is free Wi-fi. The gift shop in the hotel lobby rents beach chairs and boards by the day or week. Can't loose staying here. A lot of airline staff staying at this hotel as well.

1 Thank fromcanada77
Mauicoast, Front Office Manager at Maui Coast Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again! We are always delighted in seeing our return guests and we certailnly look forward to serving y ou again!

Mahalo,
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My trip was unexpected and planned after the loss of my daughter last year. I was travelling by myself and needed to stay somewhere I would feel safe and be able to slowly heal. The fantastic staff were more than accomodating! The complimentary shuttle-within 3 miles- of the resort was great. Being able to walk down to the beach within minutes to see the magnificient sunsets was wonderful! I recommend strolling the beaches from one end of Maui Coast Hotel to the Marriott- just have plenty of water and sunscreen, as it is a long jaunt. Once at the Marriott, you can have them call Coast Hotel for a pick-up. The drivers for the shuttle are terrific! Both Mark and Jonah were top notch professionals and always had a smile! Having perks such as 2 free water bottles, 2 packages of coffee, a mini fridge and microwave really helped cut down costs. I had my vacation package include the Resort Fee. The bed was very comfortable, while the balcony was a great place to listen and see the many birds. I enjoyed the pool, relaxing in the jacuzzi and being able to heal in a place I call paradise.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank PinkMM
Mauicoast, Front Office Manager at Maui Coast Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Aloha, the pleasure was ours in hosting you while your stay on Maui. Our thoughts go out to you for your recent loss. If we can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate is calling us at 1-800-895-MAUI.

Mahalo Nui Loa & Malama Pono (Thank you very much and take good care!)
Florida
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The hotel staff was friendly, regular room with king bed on second floor provided a nice park view of plumeria and hibiscus. We were across from beach and in the center of Kihei. Many restaurants within walking distance. Hotel pool and extras like the bikes, water in room, pool/beach towels and being able to rent beach chairs in gift shop made our short stay wonderful. We were only in Kihei for 4 days for a wedding and chose hotel accomodations for that reason. Thank you Maui Coast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank snsliz
Mauicoast, Front Office Manager at Maui Coast Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Aloha and Thank you for expressing your appreciation towards our hotel and what we had to offer! It's nice to hear that you made use of all that was available! We certainly look forward to your future visits!!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I found this place after an exhaustive online search for hotels near the beach for less than $300 a night. I was traveling with a friend, and we wanted to be near bars and restaurants, and the Maui Coast Hotel did not disappoint. The room was quite nice, comparable to something like a Hampton Inn or a Doubletree. Staff were generally pretty friendly, and they didn't seem to mind that we brought our own beers to the hot tub area.

One thing worth noting is that the pool / hot tub area tends to attract a lot of locals who live nearby. In fact, the majority of the people we met there told us they lived nearby, and that the hotel doesn't mind them being there because they buy drinks from the pool bar. I didn't get too upset about this, but the hotel charges guests a $17.50 per day "resort fee" which includes use of, among other things, the pool and hot tubs. Locals don't pay the resort fee.

Most of the folks we met were very friendly, but we got a sense that some try to rip off tourists; they'll strike up a lively conversation and then casually ask your name and what room you're staying in. With that information, one could charge drinks to your room from the pool bar or the adjacent restaurant. So just be careful what information you give people.

The hotel allows guests to use their (very nice) Trek mountain bikes. Since you probably won't read the fine print on the waiver you have to fill out, make sure you get the bikes back by dusk. They don't like when you keep them out later.

Finally, bring your own soap and shampoo. The stuff they provide in the bathrooms looks fancy but it's useless.

2 Thank Joseapie
Mauicoast, Front Office Manager at Maui Coast Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your review!! I am glad to hear that the hotel Aloha and Mahalo for your review!! I am glad to hear that the hotel met your expectations!!
In regards to the pool use, rest assured it is not our policy to allow non-registered guests to use the facility. We have a pool attendant on duty daily to help control our on-going challenge. I apologize for your experience and will ensure you that we are doing our best that we can to eliminate these problems.
Thank you for making good use of our amenities and we certainly hope to see you again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This hotel is the best ever!! The staff are all lovely and nothing is too much trouble, always happy and smiling. Its very clean, pool bar is great and happy hour everyday from 3-6!!! The rooms are big and very comfortable, laundry rooms on each floor. Location is brilliant as you are in the center for all resturants and across the road from the beaches and can go for walks Try Cafe O'Lei, and Spices the food there is amazing but be careful the portions are very big but you can split it at a small cost! Loved this hotel can't wait to return.

1 Thank gilyb
Mauicoast, Front Office Manager at Maui Coast Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Aloha and Thank you for your wonderful comments!! At the Maui Coast Hotel, we truly make customer service a priority and I am delighted to read about that you were able to experience that yourself!! We surely can’t wait for your return!!
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I will start by saying that we were able to stay at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei because of a great online package deal with airfare and car rental included. And, I will say that this is a VERY nice hotel. Our room was large, clean, comfortable and updated. The cleaning staff knew our names and always asked us if we needed anything even if we did not want service that day. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The premises were well-maintained and the atmosphere quiet.

But, I will complain about the $17.50/day resort fee. What?! You heard me right. This fee was advertised in the very fine print in our package information and I didn't notice it prior to purchasing the package. I'm not sure I would have changed my mind on purchasing the package had I seen it in advance, but now that I've been there, it will be something I keep in mind for future visits to Maui. What do you get for your $17.50/day resort fee? Use of the pool (uh, shouldn't that be included in the room price), towels to use at the pool or the beach, access to the tennis courts with equipment, bike rental with safety equipment, and free shuttle to Kihei and Wailea. What your $17.50/day resort fee does NOT include: cooler, beach chair, umbrella and boogie board rentals. You can rent coolers from the hotel's gift shop for $5.00/day and beach chairs for $2.50/chair/day. We did not inquire about boogie boards or umbrellas. For $17.50/day, I would think that the resort fee could include borrowing at least coolers and chairs. For the length of our stay on Maui, our resort fees added another $200 to our bill. Disappointing.

As far as the room, it was very nice. We had a king-sized bed, a sofa, dresser, closet, room safe, porch, flat-screen TV, small refrigerator, microwave and coffee machine. This allowed us to go to the local Safeway (about 5 minutes away by car) and purchase some food for breakfast and lunch. The bed was very comfortable and, I have to admit, the pillows were the BEST EVER and my husband and I both want to purchase some! We had plenty of space to spread out and unpack for the 6 days we were on Maui.

The bathroom was updated and clean upon arrival. We had plenty of soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and mouthwash for our stay. A hair dryer was provided. This is the first property I've stayed at where a magnifying mirror is provided! If you have read any of my other reviews, you've noticed that this is a complaint in my recent hotel reviews. I was THRILLED by the amenity. Thank you Maui Coast for getting it right! The towels were fluffy and absorbent, even the ones you borrowed for the pool or beach.

We did not eat at the hotel restaurant in an attempt to keep costs down. Drink prices at the pool were what you would expect at a large hotel. My iced tea cost $4 for a small plastic cup but there were free refills (and it was the best iced tea that I had during my Hawaiian vacation).

We were walking distance from a very nice beach. Drive time to Old Lahaina was about 40 minutes one way. There are plenty of amenities within walking distance or a short drive of the hotel.

Drive time to Haleakala is about 2 hours one way.

Would I stay here again? Definitely! Would I recommend this property to friends and family? Absolutely! Will I continue to grumble about the resort fee? Yes because I feel you are not getting your money's worth. Maui Coast Hotel should consider expanding amenities included in that fee to cooler and beach chair rental. I'd suggest dropping the free shuttle only because most vacationers rent a car on Maui but I get the feeling that there are a lot of business travelers that stay at Maui Coast so they probably like the shuttle (but, they are also on expense, so a small fee for the shuttle wouldn't be that big of a deal).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Chompypf
Aloha and Thank you for contacting me regarding your stay!! I truly appreciate all your feedback and am glad we were able to discuss your experience!! Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review and for taking the time to call me.

I truly hope to welcome you back to Maui Coast Hotel on your next visit to Maui!

Rowena Toelntino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Maui Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!