“Hotel review”
Review of Maui Coast Hotel

Maui Coast Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel was clean and the staff was very nice and helpful. There is an additional reasonable cost for amenities but worth it. There were bikes available for 3 hrs at time, tennis courts that were open all day, and a shuttle van available to take you within a 3 mile radius, and a pool with two small hot tubs that always had chairs available poolside. All that and a beautiful beach directly across the street. The only downside was that the poolside staff did not come around to ask for drink orders. They mostly stayed by the bar and talked to each other, so we had to keep going to the bar for drinks. Otherwise, we had a great vacation and enjoyed the amenities. It was a very small and quiet hotel for the most part and not a big party place.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor and floors seemed equally quiet.
1  Thank Carmen D
Voltaire M, Front Office Manager at Maui Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Aloha Carmen D!

I am happy to see that you had a great time with us earlier this month! The shuttle service and free bike rentals are a hit for us! And we are happy to be able to offer these to you every day! In regards to your experience at the pool bar, I have already shared and addressed this with the management team for our restaurant and bar services. Please feel confident they are doing something about this. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. Without this, we can never continue to improve our services.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Mahalo nui loa,

There are newer reviews for Maui Coast Hotel

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Maui Coast for part of our honeymoon and had a great time.

We found the rooms to be very comfortable and great value for money.

All staff were friendly and the facilities were more than adequate. It really helped to make our honeymoon incredibly enjoyable and we hope to come back in the future.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Aloha Andrew M!

Thank you for stopping by and writing a nice and sweet note for us! And thank you for spending your honeymoon with us! We definitely practice the spirit of Aloha in everything we do! I am glad you found your accommodations comfortable and our service was to your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel on the many anniversaries to come!

Mahalo nui loa,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very comfortable, clean, friendly, great location hotel. I picked it out by the reviews & we are not disappointed. Our junior suite with King bed is huge. The bathroom is huge with the biggest bathtub I've ever seen in a hotel. Close to lots of restaurants & shops. Beach is across the street.
Will definitely stay here on our next visit to Maui.

Room Tip: Junior Suite gives you lots of room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Voltaire M, Front Office Manager at Maui Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Aloha Patricia J from Kapaa!

Thank you for the nice review! And thank you again for staying with us! I am glad you found our Junior King Suite to your satisfaction. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Mahalo!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked in for a 9 night stay at the Maui Coast on a trip to Maui with my wife for her 40th birthday. Having left the kids at home for this trip, we were looking for a hotel which could deliver comfort and privacy at a great price. The Maui Coast delivered on all levels. We didn't want to leave.

Maui is a charming and spectacular destination with tons to do. We had a few activities planned, but most days we left time to chill by the pool or the beach. To my surprise, most afternoons we preferred to be poolside since the trade winds made sitting at the beach in the heat of the day nearly impossible without having stakes to hold down our towels and beach chairs. But as it turned out, the Maui Coast Hotel pool was pleasant and nicely sheltered from the wind. And with happy hour from 3 to 6, we always made sure we were back poolside for a mai tai or two before dinner.

The Ami Ami restaurant was a great option for breakfast. Great service, delicious food, reasonably priced and the manager always stopped by the table to ensure everything was to our liking. Dinner at Ami Ami was pricey so we chose other local options for our end-of-day meal.

Front desk staff at MCH were always accommodating and helpful at any hour of the day or night. We had a couple of unfortunate false fire alarms but this was no fault of the hotel. It's hard to control stupid people who choose to smoke in an elevator and as luck would have it, they managed to do this once at 11:30 pm and on another night at 2:30 am. Not fun, but the alarm was short lived before we were able to get back to sleep. My only complaint here was that there didn't seem to be a PA system in the hotel giving people the assurance that it was a false alarm. I tried calling the front desk after the alarm stopped, but I clearly was one of a hundred or so calls at that time and didn't have my call answered. We didn't smell smoke so we weren't terribly concerned.

For those who choose not to read the fine print, (which on MCH's website and Expedia is quite obvious), MCH does charge a resort fee of $17.50 per day. Keep in mind, this covers an endless supply of beach towels, pool / hot tub, tennis courts, gym, wireless internet and an array of mountain bikes free for use by hotel guests. Some reviewers have made this a reason to complain, but most hotels at this caliber or higher will charge extra fees for the added services they provide. Some properties may bury the fee in the room rate but we were aware of it and made our room choice with the added fee in mind.

We booked a junior suite with king bed and pull out sofa. Prior to arrival, we contemplated upgrading to a one bedroom suite, however after settling in, we were happy with our original choice and felt no need to make a change. The bathroom was large, the bed was very comfortable and the hotel was able to accommodate our request at the time of booking to have a suite on a higher floor which gave us a bit better view of the ocean and the west slope of the Haleakala volcano.

The air conditioner was a tad noisy (aren't they all??) but it was effective and helped to provide white noise that drowned out my log-sawing. In a smaller, 'standard' room, I could see how the a/c unit might be a bit close to the bed for comfort but they sell earplugs in Kihei too! Both of us slept like babies for the duration of our stay. Some mornings I got up and out early to explore the village of Kihei, leaving my wife to sleep in. No complaints for having a cool respite after a hot day of activities.

No hotel is perfect, which is obvious if you cruise TripAdvisor before you book even at the most prestigious properties. And in my opinion, most of the folks who make it their mission to complain are those with a high sense of entitlement who feel they should be given everything for free. That said, my only complaint during our stay was that the wait staff at the poolside cafe were hit and miss - especially at happy hour. I don't fully understand this. It would seem to me that they would want to move the drinks to the loungers poolside swiftly and frequently, not only to boost volume sales and tips, but to keep the guests at the cafe for dinner. The lack of attention we experienced seemed to be with the same server on two separate occasions. In our worst case, it wasn't until 3:45 when she first made her rounds to the poolside guests (remember, happy hour starts at 3:00 and ends at 6:00). Instead we chose to order at the bar and tip the bartender directly. I tip well for good service but have little tolerance for being ignored. Our server on this occasion got $0.00 for a tip from us, despite the cheeky suggestions on every bill (everywhere on Maui) of how much to tip your server with the minimum being 15%.

When we return to Maui, the Maui Coast would be our preference. The location is central to several beaches and in-between two popular areas in Kihei which offer restaurants and all manner of shopping and activity rentals. I would think the 1 bedroom suites would be perfect for a small family. If you're looking to be close to amenities and have a hassle-free holiday, Maui Coast Hotel is a great place to drop anchor.

Room Tip: Request a higher room to avoid noise from the parking lot and have a bit better view of the ocean.
4  Thank Pdubya17
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this wonderful hotel. Everybody was so friendly and helpful.
The lobby is very nice as is the pool. Check in went smooth and easy. We had a junior suite which was very big. Beds were very comfortable and we even had a partial view of the ocean and Haleakala (volcano). They offered very nice chilled water with fruit in it available everyday in the lobby.
The hotel is very close to a lot of beaches such as Kamole 1,2,3. You are just a short drive to Wailea and Makena as well. It is a little shorter drive to Haleakala and the Road to Hana than from Lahaina and Ka'anappali. It is in a little less crowded area than the afore mentioned locations. By the way, We also highly recommend using Kihei rent a car if you are looking for a car rental. Friendly, less hassles and a shuttle service as well. Family owned and Much Faster that the big car rental chains. No trying to upwell you.
All in all a wonderful hotel, highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TravellingFamily2941
Reviewed 9 July 2014

2nd stay a few weeks back at the Maui Coast again. Absolute perfect hotel for Maui. Location Location Location. If you havent been, MAUI is big..and lots of traffic. So having a hotel about in the center of the island is a perfect solution.

And if you actually want to get out and explore, being in Kihei is great with all the little shops and local places to eat without busting your wallet wide open.

MOST COMFORTABLE BEDS of any hotel I've ever stayed at!!! I was gonna look at the construction of what pads and such they used..but alas I forgot, dang it. lol

Great employees, lots of amenties and right across the street from some of the best beaches. And great rates for the size of the rooms!! My choice for Maui.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank zkeeper
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I just have to go with the experiences of other reviewers I just read. This hotel is one of the nicest we have encountered. Everything looks very new and clean; even so, while we were there carpet was being replaced (with no interference to guests) to update even more. Our suite room was everything we could have asked for- an extremely comfortable 'living' area and beautifully comfortable bedroom. The extra large soaking tub was wonderful. The views from the rooms are not exceptional, but the beautiful shore and beach are right across the road. My husband and I usually walked to the wide variety or restaurants ( we loved the health food store's lunchtime organic salad bar), but drove the mile to Starbuck's in the mornings. The very nice laundry areas are for sure a plus after days spent snorkeling or on the beach. I would give only one word of caution from our experience. The on-site concierge appears to be part of the hotel, but in reality rents the desk area, as does the Dollar car rental. We found the concierge to have her interests (read income) rather than ours at heart and recommends activities that you can find much more economically from other venues or online. Her 'limited time' discounts we discovered to be less than aboveboard. I really hate to mention a negative as the hotel and staff were superb, but wish I had known more about this one thing. Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank itravel13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Maui Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!