“Great location, reasonable rates, clean”
Review of Menehune Shores

Menehune Shores
Ranked #23 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
San Luis Obispo, California
“Great location, reasonable rates, clean”
Reviewed 3 January 2007

We stayed here in December 2006 and had a great time. The condo, which is privately owned, was very clean and had all the amenities we needed. The view of the ocean from our balcony was beautiful. The building is close to great beaches, shopping and dining, and is only a few miles from gorgeous Wailea and the airport. My only complaint was that we were in an end unit and the traffic noises from the street were very loud. I recommend staying in a unit closer to the middle of the building, which is farther from the street and has better views of the ocean.

• Liked — proximity to beaches
  • Disliked — traffic noise
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank Fuddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed 6 May 2006

After a terrible start at Kihei Kai Nani, my husband and I cut our losses and returned to our buddy from Kentucky "Sam" at Menhune Reservations. He quickly hooked us up with a beautiful ground floor, fully renovated condo that was like a little slice of heaven. Where else in Kihei can you get an ocean front for this price??? I noticed in other reviews, concern about the condition of some of the units so I would suggest that you contact Sam and he will refer you to their website. It has photos of each unit they have available so you won't have any surprises upon arrival. I don't know what ever posessed us to stray from Sam in the first place but I know for certain that we never will again!!

• Stayed April 2006
13 Thank cjay0121
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 December 2005

I have stayed here twice in the last couple of years, it is an excellent deal however both of the condos that we have stayed in weren't what I would call clean. I would suggest that anyone planning to stay here request tiled floors in all rooms or at least ask how old the carpet is. Some of these units have been updated and some are still in the 70's.
Restaurant is awesome, $5 breakfast and excellent Jazz in the evenings.
You probably won't find a better deal on Maui.

• Stayed November 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 6 November 2005

Kihei rules!!! I stayed up in Kaanapali on my last trip to Maui and will not do THAT again! Nothing against the Kaanapali coast, but Kihei is less tourist-y, more real and breath-takingly beautiful.

Menehune Shores was a great place to call "home" for a week! Ours was the best stocked kitchen I've ever had at a rental property, anywhere! The views from our lanai were amazing and although the south side of the island can see some windy afternoons, the water was placid as a lake most of the time. My baby's first ocean experience was right on the beach at Menehune Shores! Thank you to the property owners of Unit #607. It was perfect. : )

Also, it must be noted that Yorman's restaurant (on the ground floor of the property) is very nice and has wonderful jazz music---live in the evenings with Yorman himself singing and playing bass. Breakfast there was wonderful, too. On Sundays there is a group called the Hula Honeys (or something like that), a duet who plays pretty hawaiian/hula music.

The grounds are kept meticulously. The lawns are kept very low (like astroturf!) but it is REAL grass, soft and beautiful. There are wonderful bbq facilities near the pool as well as on the roof! Next time we will definitely emply those.

I have to also plug Sande & Bob of Ocean Breeze Hideaway at hawaiibednbreakfast. They were full on our travel dates but they found Menehune Shores for me. How cool is that?!?!? They were super nice and above-and-beyond helpful, and I'm sure their place is worth checking out, too.

And if you want to get a traditional polynesian tatoo while you're there as we did, check out Sacred Center in Kihei, with other locations in Lahaina, Las Vegas and soon in Alaska. We have beautiful souvenirs of our trip now. :)

• Stayed October 2005
28 Thank DeleOnFire
monterey ca
Reviewed 10 September 2005

Our family stayed at Menehune Shores for a week in August 2005 in unit 505. the family who owns it obviously takes great pride in their condo, and everything was lovingly cared for, and the kitchen included all the amenities of home. I had read in the forums about the smelly seaweed, and chose a part of the building which faced a more northerly direction. I did observe some seaweed, but it was minimal, and less than we have in our part of California. The condo was perfect for our family, we headed to Costco as soon as we arrived, as recommended in Maui for Dummies. Saved a ton of money by cooking in the condo. the grounds were immaculately kept, as well as the pool. There is a barbecue area next to the pool, which is also oceanfront, so we enjoyed some evenings there. Also there is a jazz restaurant in the building, and live music and tiki torches added to our fun. I would have liked to have dinner there one night, but couldn't muster up the planning required. It was very low key.
I had read quite a bit about the fishpond, but found it to be disappointing. It was very cloudy, and practically devoid of fish. I came out of there coated with dirt!
We snorkeled every day and were exhausted by dinnertime, so relaxing at Menehune in the evenings was perfect. Every afternoon, the wind picked up and it was somewhat unpleasant, and caused us to not enjoy the outdoors due to being pelted with sand. When we drove to Kaanapali, the winds were calm, and we encountered a GIANT turtle at black rock. We spent a day on a cruise to Molokini, but all the pictures of big schools of fish are no longer realistic. It seems that due to snorkelers feeding fish in that area, the balance of nature has been disrupted, and mostly what remains are hardy, black fish looking for a handout. Olowalu by boat was fantastic, and the coral reefs were in the best shape of all the places we snorkeled.
We look forward to returning during whale season.

17 Thank pebblepeeps
Parksville, British Columbia
Reviewed 7 June 2005

This was our second trip to Maui. The first was a cruise with a 2 day stop on maui. We discovered Menehune Shores while touring the island and decided that if we returned it would be a good place to stay. We were not dissapointed. Although the building dates back to the70's our 1 bedroom condo was very well kept. The views are fantastic. You can see two other islands and the west exposure ensures beautiful sunsets. We didn't use the beach in front of the condo as we chose to drive to the nicer beaches a few minutes south. The location to food stores, restaurants and recreation opportunities, including some of the best golf courses I have seen, make this the perfect "home base" to enjoy all maui has to offer. I have rated this property "excellent" not because it is extra "high end" ,but becuase it is a great location that is very well kept and is a great deal for waterfront accomodations on Maui.

• Stayed December 2004
23 Thank Rob O
Portland OR
Reviewed 29 December 2004

We stayed at Menehune Shores Dec. 15-23, 2004. We were in unit 520, which is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath. The unit was fine, but nothing special, clean, and mostly comfortable (the beds were not great). The view from the lanai was great, but there was a seaweed problem on the beach right in front of us. A tractor came out and scraped up the seaweed every morning at 8 am (if you are in the master bedroom, you will not be able to sleep through this). The tractor just piles up the seaweed all along the beach. Walking on the beach was quite stinky, although we could not smell it from our condo on the 5th floor (except on the last day when we had to close the patio doors due to the smell).

The condo's location on S. Kihei Road was convenient, but Kihei is just strip malls and ugly condo complexes and the traffic was always heavy. If I were to go back to Maui (which I probably won't) I would try to stay in Wailea - much prettier, the resorts are nicely landscaped, and the beaches are fabulous!

14 Thank JulieKB