“Very nice place!”

Punahoa Beach Apartments
Ranked #47 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Very nice place. Our unit (#201 I think) was full of useful things (cooler, ice packs, beach chairs, beach towels, condiment, etc). There is a very nice common area patio with a beautiful view where we ended-up dining every night with the sunset in front of us. We had originally planned to go to restaurants more often but with such a view ... cooking was not a problem. You have access to a BBQ.

Although the cleaning crew had forgotten stuff in our room (nothing gross ... just mops, soap etc) and the beds were not made (the sheets were clean but not on the beds); they compensated us for this human mistake so it ended-up really not being a problem.

Terry the GM is very nice and like I said before, very comprehensive.

Great location and next to a huge park and a public beach where beginners (like us) could take surfing lessons (probably the best spot on the island to learn surfing)

I recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Simon L

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Kihei is a good central location and has nice beaches. The Punahoa is on a quiet street and the property is well maintained. There is a very nice common area patio with a beautiful view and the beach just outside your door is really pretty. Wear swim shoes and watch for rocks. The condo we stayed in was 201 and it's really nice.

Room Tip: No a/c in 201
2  Thank LisaGOklahomaCity
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I am conflicted about writing this review: part of me wants to keep this place my own little secret, but I also want to commend the owners and the staff on the property and overall great service.

I began researching VRBOs months ago. Having stayed at one of the large hotels a couple of years before, I wanted to have a little more flexibility for my family when it came to meals, planning activities, or just being able to do nothing if we chose. As is my nature, I wanted to find every piece of information I could on a property before making a decision. (Thus explaining why it took months to make a decision.) When I finally found the Punahoa Beach Apartments, I read every piece of information I could find, and every review available.

When I finally made the call, the transaction was as easy as a virtual handshake. The staff was so friendly, and must have noted the anxiety in my voice and assured me that this vacation would be like none other.

True to their word, I arrived, picked up my keys, and proceeded to my room. When I stepped into the living room, both my bags and my chin hit the floor: for as far as the eye could see, from every angle in the room, all I could see was cobalt blue surf. I opened the sliding glass windows, and all I could here was the sound of the surf, and I felt the warm gentle breeze. Pictures will not do this property justice.

At the base of the property are gentle tidepools, which were just right for my 5-year old, who is a beginning swimmer, to swim and explore. Immediately next to the tidepools is a cove, which functioned as my family's private beach. The surf there is gentle enough that beginning paddle boarders used it to practice for hours. My 8-year old spent the majority of the vacation on her boogie board there for hours and hours. Although we visited other beaches and did some sightseeing, the majority of our time was spent soaking up the sun in our own front yard. Since everything we needed was steps away, and we could choose to do, or not do, whatever we wanted when we wanted, it was the most relaxing vacation my family and I have had, ever.

And the evenings.... Imagine having stress-free bedtimes. After soaking up the sun all day, the sound of the surf and the gentle breezes lulled the kids to sleep without protest.

There are three supermarkets, as well as other markets, shops, and restaurants within a mile, so pretty much everything you need is easy to get. All you really need to bring are your clothes and the need to relax.

The staff here is excellent. They are there for you when you need them, but are respectful of your privacy. They have great advice on things to do, tips on local shopping, and local attractions. Will help you plan your day, or routes if you need it. But most of all, they are just nice, helpful, really good folks.

My family and I plan on becoming regulars.

Room Tip: All of the units have incredible views (we peeked while housekeeping cleaned other units). However...
6  Thank Durrell B
Reviewed 11 August 2012

The reviews are right. We spent a week in #302 and were very pleased with the location, the view, the way it was supplied, the comfort and the cleanliness. My wife preferred the sleep sofa so she could hear the ocean all night. We both marveled at the view of the moon glistening on the ocean amid the rocks and palm trees. During the day we saw surfers, swimmers, walkers, many with dogs and a view of the Molokini crater.

A very short walk will get you to plenty of places to eat and shop and to other beaches with equipment rental and activity facilities.

I am an A/C lover and became uncomfortable a couple of times when the wind was not blowing but even the very helpful, on-site unit owners could not help with that. One family in our party stayed in one of the few 2-bedroom units in which the cross breeze was so phenomenal that a floor lamp was chained to the bookcase to keep it from blowing over.

The reviews are right. Punahoa is a well-run, well-maintained and well-priced place to stay.

Room Tip: #302 was attractive and seemed to be better supplied with linens and kitchen items. The king bed was...
3  Thank RinORL
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We arrived after dark, and when we awoke next morning there was this amazing view, with the ocean right down below. Although Kihei is densely populated, it did not feel like it once inside the apartment. The building is not new, and there are many other more upmarket places around, but this place has LOCATION and is affordable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janet C
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We spent a wonderful month at the Punahoa Apartments. We were in a one bedroom suite, 202, which like every other unit has a spectacular view of the Pacific that overlooks the most popular surfing and paddle boarding area on Maui. The location and the view are by far the best we saw in Maui, where many of the condos and hotels are across a busy road from the ocean.

Punahoa is adjacent to two great beaches, including the Kamole I, which we decided was the calmest and most friendly beach on Maui.

There is a lot of room in the one bedroom units and there is a full kitchen and a king bed.

Kihei is not one of the fancy resort areas and in many ways that made it more attractive. Local restaurants, stores, events are all within walking distance of the apartments.

Like others, we found the only drawback to be the cramped parking spaces but we just parked on the street.

Grab a unit here if you can. This is a real winner for a long or short term stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank doveWashington
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A short walk to many amenities, not hard to find from the airport (25 min), beach 50 feet from your room, fall asleep to the gentle sound of waves hitting the shore, clean/updated rooms, lots of parking (although really tight!) and an absolute incredible view of a Maui sunset!! These rooms book fast, if you get one you will not regret it! No pool might be a deal breaker, however there are a lot of beaches gentle enough for kids and our room had beach chairs included.
(this is for room 201)

Room Tip: All rooms have an incredible view, no A/C, never needed it with the gentle breeze
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple