“As Good as it Gets”

No Ka Oi Private Adventures
Ranked #40 of 87 Tours in Kihei
More attraction details
Owner description: Custom nature-based excursions in a private, small group setting. We take you off the beaten path and pride ourselves on being environmentally and culturally conscious.
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I don't write nearly as many Trip Advisor reviews as I should but when I experience something exceptional, I must share it. To spend any length of time on Maui w/out using a guide like Wade Holmes at No Ka Oi Adventures is to miss the opportunity to see and experience some of the secret magical places this special place hides from most eyes. Many of these are sites are not listed in any guide or hiking books. Wade enjoys sharing the passion and extensive knowledge he holds for his adopted home. We are a pretty athletic couple and consequently were able to hike to remote waterfalls, crystal clear pools and secluded beaches. Wade tailors his guiding to the interests and physical abilities of his clients. We hired him for 3 full days and can't begin to list all the memorable places we saw. From cliff diving to isolated swimming holes where we picked and bathed with natural ginger soap buds, to amazing waterfalls, to out of the way gems of restaurants, to open mic night at a hippie commune on east Maui, there are just too many adventures to list. He even took pictures for us and provided 2 CD's worth to take home. I just can't say enough about Wade and No Ka Oi. So affordable for so much to experience.

1  Thank Dr. Ralph
in 5 reviews
"tide pools"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I only had about a day and a half on Maui, so I decided to maximize it with a tour. I really dislike tour buses, tours, and crowds and rarely pay to do anything organized. Wade's tag line about "nature-based excursions for the alternative traveller" really caught my eye. I found Wade to be super friendly, accomodating, genuine, and really knowledgeable about the natural ecology and agricultural issues on the island. He customized the tour for me by adding in some semi-rigorous hiking/swinming which enabled us to see amazing waterfalls and unspoilt scenery without another soul in sight. Wade really loves the land and demonstrates great respect for it as he proudly shares its beauty. I would recommend a No Ka Oi tour for just about anyone: families with children, couples of any age, and even solo travelers like me. It was nice to sit back in the passenger seat for a change and let a caring expert show me places and teach me things I never would have experienced otherwise. Forget the tour bus: call Wade!

Reviewed 14 July 2013

The only way to travel the Hana highway is with Wade. We learned, we hiked, we swam, we ate and we saw! Worth every penny to have Wade's undivided attention for 12 hours! Tour with the best and learn about Maui while you have the time of your life. Our 13 year old loved it too!

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Thank you Wade for taking us on an adventure of a life time. This is the first time I've been on a guided tour that took us to places i wouldn't of imagined of venturing on our own. He was well prepared for anything that Maui weather bring. It rained while we were going to one waterfall and he had rain ponchos ready. We were bitten by mosquitos and he had bug spray. We were prepared and bought Teva hiking/water shoes. This is really important to survive this hike. The trails get muddy and slippery and shoes saved us. I wont go in too much detail but get plenty of rest the night before and bring your camera. I cant wait to check out the pictures.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2013

No Ka Oi Private Adventure is an absolute must if you want to do something off the beaten path in Maui. Wade had taken my family (wife and two daughters ages 9 & 6) and I to Hana. This is no ordinary cookie-cutter tour. Wade tailored our trip accordingly, because by no means are my Jersey girls outdoor adventurers.
In fact, he got us out of our confort zone a little - and it paid off! Not only did we see amazing stuff, but we did some pretty cool things and had a blast doing it. Before we even started are trip he stopped to take our pic near a 100 year old sea turtle. Then our adventure began - from hidden waterfalls, swimming in the black sand beach, to visting the red sand beach as well as getting a science lesson in the lava tube cave. We had a packed full day, we even stopped at a little place in Hana for excellent Tai food. Not to mention, Coconut Glen's ice-cream for dessert!

Wade Thank you for an amazing day, Thank you for going above and beyond (he has your children safety first and foremost) and finally Thank you for exceeding my expectations!

I'm looking forward to my next adventure with No Ka Oi Adventures!