“Excellent Adventure”

Hawaiian Paddle Sports
Ranked #1 of 79 Tours in Kihei
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Private Kayak and Outrigger Canoe Snorkel Tours. Surf Lessons, SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) Hawaiian Paddle Sports offers a private alternative for Ocean Activities on Maui! If going out on crowded, diesel burring boat isn't your idea for ocean activities and you'd rather avoid going out with one of Large Kayak Companies or Surf Schools perhaps we are what you are looking for! We focus on attention to detail and the over all guest experience. Guide operated, Hawaiian Paddle Sports sets the bar for ocean activities on Maui. Whale Watching and Sea Turtle Snorkel Tours on Hawaiian Outrigger Canoes, Ocean Kayaks. We also offer "Guaranteed To Surf" Surfing Lessons or Stand Up Paddle Boards. All of our tours/lessons are Private.
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband, and two children ages 11 and 9 booked a stand up paddling boarding tour/lesson with Hawaiian Paddle Sports. Our guide, Hollis, was waiting for us boards ready when we arrived. The equipment was excellent and all appropriately sized with a larger SUP for my husband and a child sized SUP for my 9 year old. After some quick instruction, Hollis had us all out on the water standing and paddling. Hollis was very friendly and patient with all of us and was an excellent turtle spotter! This was a wonderful experience for our family. It was very special that we were able to share this activity together without crowds and strangers mixed into our group. Thank you Hawaiian Paddle Sports for this wonderful day!

New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The best trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

My mom and I wanted a private kayak tour, and this was the place to go to. We were fortunate enough to have 2 guides with us (1 in training) and what a treat that was. The kayaking was a great time, but the information the guides shared with us helped to have a better understanding of the island history, marine life, and Hawaiian culture was priceless! We kayaked to a few coves and watched countless turtles. Was so great that we weren't stuck with all the other tours -- we truly had the water to ourselves. We couldn't stop talking about our trip for days. Thanks HPS!

1 Thank TravelsForFun
Calgary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“HPS is THE company to book with!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Nearing the end of our recent trip to Maui, my husband and I decided to try and book an "organnized" tour. After reading through Trip Adivsor we opted to go with HPS based off the phenomenal reviews it got. The reviews are not wrong! We have been on the large boat snorkling tours and found them to be a dissapointment (for me personally) This is nothing like those tours. I called on Tuesday afternoon and we were lucky they had an opening for kayaking on Thursday April 19th. Neither my husband or myself have kayaked before so we though we'd give it a shot. We met Ross our tour guide just before 7am for the South Maui tour. He gave us our briefing and we were on the water before any other group. Because of the private aspect Ross tossed out some options and we picked where we wanted to head. The kayaking itself requires a little muscle but is nothing a novice cannot handle. The snorkling was great. We saw so many turtles as well we were given the rare opportunity to see a large black ray swim by. From the moment I made the booking email until we got off the water, the HPS is a very down to earth, easy to deal with company. I would definitely book another tour with HPS!!
Thank you for making the last day of our holidays one of the most memorable.
Things to Note:
1. If you are planning on booking an tour with them, book earlier than later. We were lucky and got in on short notice. If possible try to book a week in advance. The online registration was very easy.

2. Don't take anything on the boat you don't want to get wet. The HPS guide has a waterproof camera and snaps photos during the whole trip. I am very greatful for this as I now have something to remember the memorable trip by.

1 Thank Jodi R
The Mitten
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing! If you love the ocean and fun excursions, this one is for you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

On our recent vacation, my husband and I had the pleasure of doing both a stand up paddle board and an outrigger canoe lesson/adventure through Hawaiian Paddle Sports. I could go on and on as to how wonderful both of the activities and the guides were, but will try to keep it short and to the point. The personalized attention is top notch. The guides make you feel comfortable and confident in the water. The locations HPS has picked for the different adventures are gorgeous and perfectly suited for the activities. You can truly tell how much the guides appreciate and respect the island and the creatures that dwell in the ocean surrounding it. If you have the time and are looking for a personalized tour where you can pick your own pace, this is for you. We'll definitely be back! Mahalo nui loa HPS for such great experiences!

Buffalo, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“This is THE WAY to see Whales on Maui!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My husband and I took a HPS whale watching kayak tour on April 10, at the tail end (no pun intended) of whale season. Despite that, we saw close to a dozen whales, including a baby an mama who swam alongside as we paddled at a safe distance. One single male swam towards us, came up about 25-30 yards in front of our kayaks, swam beneath us and came up again behind us. WOW! We did a catamaran whale watching tour a few days before in Kaanapali, and it was great, but nothing compares to seeing these amazing animals from a kayak at water level!

Some of the great things about HPS that we both really liked:

1. You are not mixed in with other families, so it was just my husband and me with our guide, Chelsea (who is fantastic!). We went at our pace, didn't feel rushed and didn't feel held up. That alone is worth paying extra.

2. HPS is very environmentally conscious. It was so discouraging a few days later when I saw a different company's kayak guide with a group of kids while we were snorkeling off Polo Beach. He picked up a little octopus, put it on top of a guy's head for that "perfect" vacation photo, then played catch with it! Really?!? I felt so bad for the poor little thing, and wish I had said something. By comparison, HPS guides respect the animals and the earth. It's a privilege to be able to enjoy seeing these marvelous animals (the whales, not the HPS guides, LOL!) in their natural environment in Maui, and awe at watching them but not chasing or disturbing them for a "photo op".

3. Chelsea is very knowledgeable about the ocean, the animals and the island. During our paddle "breaks" it was great to talk with and listen to her. Great guide, awesome sense of humor, and lots of fun.

4. After kayaking for a couple of hours, we had the best snorkeling of our vacation right off the kayaks near Makena Landing. Clear water, lots of bigger fish, sea turtles, and no other snorkelers.

If you're recommending a kayak or canoe tour I highly recommend using Hawaiin Paddle Sports!! I wanted to do a surfing lesson too, but we ran out of time. Next trip, for sure. Thank you Chelsea and HPS for such an awesome 3 hours!!

Visited April 2012
HawaiianPaddleSports, Manager at Hawaiian Paddle Sports, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for the kind words. We're glad you enjoyed your time with Chelsea and Hawaiian Paddle Sports. Thank you for understanding and getting behind our environmental practices of not touching the marine life. Instead enjoying it in its natural, unstressed, unharmed state. Its through practices like these and others that we became one of the three companies on Maui (1 of 13 in the entire state of Hawaii) to be certified by the Hawaii Ecotourism Association. Many companies are (dues paying) members of the HEA but the board of directors only chose 13 companies to honor with this certification.