“D313...Great! but one MAJOR problem”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kihei Akahi

Kihei Akahi
Ranked #28 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
New York City, New York
“D313...Great! but one MAJOR problem”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

All in all I would say our stay here was great. The location was amazing it was close to the beach (literally right across from you). You had access to the pool and there aren't many people around that make too much noise. The location was by far the thing that made this rental worth it. Its even close to two 24 hour supermarkets!
What the room had to offer was amazing as well. There were beach chairs, towels, starter soap, detergent, iron, ironing board...ect. everything that you would need in a hotel was there for you! It was amazing how much was there that our friends did not have in their hotels. They had a full kitchen a huge fridge and all the utensils plates and cups anyone could need! I even left a kite in the room as our going away present for the condo. Check in as well as the company that manages the facility were easy to work with as well! The check in and out was easy and they even accommodated us when we found out our flight was leaving later that day.
With that said, I would have loved to give this apartment 5 stars but there was one major problem... The cockroaches. At first we only saw one which I didn't mind. We're in a tropical climate and I grew up with not so great conditions so a bug or two wouldn't phase me. However. We began to see more and more...the closets. in the bathroom ...shower under the toaster and microwave in the kitchen were filled with eggs and the final straw is when i saw two in our bed. By this point it was too late to switch rooms and too much of a hassle so we stuck it out for the 3 more days we were going to be there.Plus, we were in and out of the place so much we figured it wasnt worth it to switch and complain and waste our vacation time with management.
Again, if that problem (pretty big problem) is alleviated then for sure i would recommend this place to everyone!

3 Thank NYCGuy1124
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for your glowing review of the Kihei Akahi grounds, location, and amenities, but I am sad to hear that you found bugs. Our company manages many vacation rentals at the Kihei Akahi, but does not manage the particular one you stayed at, so we cannot send exterminators to the condo (if you wouldn’t mind letting your condo management company know of the issue, I am sure they will have the condo prepared for the next guest). Lastly, the Kihei Akahi does schedule regular sprayings of all the condos every three months to try and keep any bug issues to a minimum. We hope you choose to give the Kihei Akahi another try in the future.

Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay here because it was affordable, and the ocean was right across the street. We were very satisfied with the condo. It had everything we needed including a partial ocean view. We spent every morning and most nights on the lanai. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Ang M
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you for your review of Kihei Akahi. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the condos our property management company manages, but glad you had a great stay. The central location in Kihei and close proximity to the beach make this a great resort for walking around Kihei and exploring top beaches, restaurants, and shopping.

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Upon my arrival I was notified by the owner that the washing machine had troubles. That you needed to trip a circuit to get it running again. I said thank you to the owner for letting me know. When I arrived at this condo at Kihei Akahi the washing machine was not working. I tripped the circuit and than it worked for the remainder of my 4 week stay at this condo. The actual problem was the dryer. Once opening it smelled after gas, made a very loud noise when running and did not turn off at end of cycle. The owner apologized at agreed to reimburse me $590.00 for the time occupying this unit. 2 weeks after arriving home I receive an email, that she will only refund me $39.00 because I left the unit in "filth". I need mention that one hour prior to my departure I met with her cleaning man and asked if everything was to the specifications of departure. He viewed the unit and said yes. I had loaded the dishwasher, removed all trash, swept living/kitchen area, removed all linens and placed in pile. While this condo was in a fabulous location in Kihei and run very well I would not suggest you stay with this owner.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank grobby2013
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
I am sorry to hear that you had a poor experience working with the owner of this particular condo. I hope it does not alter your opinion of the Kihei Akahi property as a whole. Many condos on Maui are managed by professional management companies that are required to comply with strict Government licensing and regulatory mandates that afford visitors a greater degree of consumer protection. Many are also members of the Better Business Bureau and the local chamber of commerce. When dealing with a private owner you may be susceptible to their unique policies. We hope you give Kihei Akahi another try on a return visit!

Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Maui is an incredible island, you are close to the beach here and you have great snorkeling places close by - so the island itself makes any stay good by itself, though this condo only took away from the experience.
Looking backwards I would have probably stayed all the time in Lahaina, I decided to spend a few days in Kihei to reduce the distance from Haleakala/the road to Hana, but the whole vibe of the town and the place are not worth it, better to drive 30mins more and stay in a nicer place.

To start with I booked this place as it was the cheapest option in this part of the island, taking advantage of a non-refundable 120$ per night (tax excluded) deal that seemed a great deal... to discover the day after that they send you a mail with a list of 170$ in extra fees to be paid for 2 days, including a dubious 'reservation fee' (I had booked through Booking.com) - so you either have the choice to lose money by cancelling the reservation or lose more by staying.

Once we arrive at the place (at 12) even before 'Hello' or 'Welcome' the person at the reception says 'You're too early'... to finally find out the room was actually ready, and we just wanted to drop the bags anyway.. nice welcoming...

Finally, the structure is quite old and not well maintained, we were woken up by the fridge that was making random noises in the middle of the night, the bath tub was clogged..

All in all a horrible stay - you really have the feeling of being exploited to the last penny and being in a place without any passion for their job or their customers, but rather just looking for ways to squeeze as much money as they can from visitors.
Definitely forget about the 'aloha spirit' if you decide to stay here.

2 Thank PG832013
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for your review of Kihei Akahi. I am sorry that you felt mislead with your experience booking a condo through Booking.com. We just tried making a sample booking on the site and it appeared to correctly list the accurate taxes and cleaning fees throughout the booking. We will check with Booking.com to assure the confirmation email they send mentions a check-in time of 3pm, so no future guests arrive at the front desk too early. We want to assure that every guest to the Kihei Akahi has a pleasant stay from the moment they arrive.
As for the loud fridge, I am sorry you were woken up. We have sent a maintenance person to investigate it so no future guest will be disturbed. I wish you would have let us know during your stay so we could have sent a person to fix it immediately.

Mahalo
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

The condo was everything that was described and more. It was fully equipped from everything one would need in a kitchen to the guide books, beach chairs, buggy boards, beach bag and cooler. It was very clean and it is obvious the owners take steps to keep it in great shape. The wifi worked perfectly and fast and having free long distance to Canada and the US was a bonus allowing us to keep in touch with our family. We made good use of the full size, in suite, washer and dryer. The location was excellent permitting us to walk to many good beaches and eating places, and other things were just a short drive away. The booking process was very easy and efficient and the information "Kathy" gave us about what to do and where to eat in Maui was very helpful. We did a lot of looking on Trip Advisor and other sites when looking for a condo and are very glad we found this one. The price was very reasonable for what we got and I would highly recommend it and would certainly stay here again, no question!

1 Thank Jurimo1818
Grapevine, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Condo highly dependent on owner and updates/amenities included. The unit we stayed in was on the top floor with a really good view of the beach from the balcony. Overall the grounds are maintained very nicely with beautiful landscaping. The two pools are nice with really nice gas grills. Seems to get very busy at grills in evening due to number of units in complex though.

Our unit needs a bit of updating, but was known by seeing pictures before coming out. Refrigerator needs to be replaced and took a long time to get cold and stay cold at max cold setting. A/C unit in front living room is very loud due to shaking the window and is not big enough to effectively cool back bedroom. Back bedroom first night was unbearably hot where we had to sleep on very uncomfortable couch bed (hard springs/frame felt through paper thin mattress). Basically if there are no tradewinds or place gets heat soaked in day the back bedroom is unusable.

Other appliances have been updated and are nice (dishwasher, stove/oven, and microwave). Faucets everywhere need to be replaced and will leak if not shut off in a specific way. Carpet in living area has rather large stain in middle of room.

No boogie boards in rental and a couple of average masks/snorkels. Nice beach chairs and towels included.

You will have to stock about everything for your stay (coffee, paper towels, bath tissue etc) also. Compared to some others we talked to seemed rather frugally equipped.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Darren H
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for your review of the Kihei Akahi. I am glad you enjoyed the tropical grounds and close proximity of the ocean. Our professional condo management company does not manage condo 607, but you bring up a great point that condos will vary room to room on quality and amenities depending on who they are managed by. Most all professional management companies on the island require condos that they rent out to be equipped with a list of over 100 items that visitors expect to have to make their stay more comfortable (coffee maker, new soaps, safe, bath tissue, dish washing detergent, etc.). Professional management companies also can address any issues that arise while you are in the condo. I hope you choose to return to the Kihei Akahi again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

As soon as we checked it we noticed the sign that said "we just did a bug extermination yesterday" attached to the door. A few nights later we found a massive roach that crawled on my face at 2am (sorry to all neighbours for the screams of terror that night); we turned on the lights to find the place infested. Roaches were crawling over the walls everywhere. Just plain gross.
The air conditioning didn't work well cooling the bedrooms and I had to sleep with the windows open, only to find noisy people walking by and waking me often.
Cheap decor, missing a lot of the amenities that were mentioned in other reviews. Also, no dish soap was provided (perhaps this why there are roaches) and we were rationed to two rolls of cheap toilet paper before having to buy our own.
Location and price are great but I have never stayed in a roach motel type place before and didn't enjoy this experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors for less noise