“Our Resort”
Review of Kihei Akahi

Kihei Akahi
Ranked #29 of 60 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Our resort and the caretakers office people are awesome.its close to stores good dining places like Dennys Peggy Sues shakes burgers fries and good atmosphere of the 50s and 60s with juke boxes.Also the luau at the Marriott is the best on the Island 5-10 minutes away from our Condo.Swimming great across from us at Kamollee Beach.Also its within a half our of major tourist attractions ,airport and car rentals.We will be back

Room Tip: Go to second or third floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 October 2013

One bedroom has air-conditioning but not efficient enough to cover bedroom. 80 - 93 F everyday and bedroom is too warm for comfortable sleep. Buildings B, C, & D do not have much of a view. Building A faces the front and are townhomes. There are 8. The first 4 have excellent views for not much more money. There are two pools that are nice size with lawn chairs. Building was built in 1975. Around the pool, folks say it depends on one the one you rented. Most are outdated. Close to a handful of restaurants that are walking distance. One bedrooms in Sept - Oct timeframe - before busy season are about $100 a day. Bedrooms have single pane windows that mean you can hear anyone talking as they walk by.

Room Tip: Recommend paying extra for A101 - A108.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for your review of the Kihei Akahi. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the condos our vacation rental company manages, but sounds like you got a great deal at $100/night for a condo in the heart of Kihei across from a popular beach. Each condo at Kihei Akahi is decorated differently, so we definitely encourage guests to look at photos of the condo they would like to stay in so they can assure their tastes and styles are met.
We hope to see you again at the Kihei Akahi!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed in unit D304 and everything was perfect! The unit has beautiful views of the ocean in two directions. Everything in the unit was in good shape and clean. The in-room washer and dryer were a nice bonus. No bugs. Screaming fast free wireless internet. Fully stocked kitchen. This unit is in a building at the back of the property, so there is minimal street noise. The property is right across the street from a nice beach with excellent snorkling. It's right in the middle of Kihei, convenient to everything in south Maui. Property management was friendly and professional. Really, it couldn't have been better.

Room Tip: Building D is at the back of the property away from the street.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg B
Reviewed 25 September 2013

All in all I would say our stay here was great. The location was amazing it was close to the beach (literally right across from you). You had access to the pool and there aren't many people around that make too much noise. The location was by far the thing that made this rental worth it. Its even close to two 24 hour supermarkets!
What the room had to offer was amazing as well. There were beach chairs, towels, starter soap, detergent, iron, ironing board...ect. everything that you would need in a hotel was there for you! It was amazing how much was there that our friends did not have in their hotels. They had a full kitchen a huge fridge and all the utensils plates and cups anyone could need! I even left a kite in the room as our going away present for the condo. Check in as well as the company that manages the facility were easy to work with as well! The check in and out was easy and they even accommodated us when we found out our flight was leaving later that day.
With that said, I would have loved to give this apartment 5 stars but there was one major problem... The cockroaches. At first we only saw one which I didn't mind. We're in a tropical climate and I grew up with not so great conditions so a bug or two wouldn't phase me. However. We began to see more and more...the closets. in the bathroom ...shower under the toaster and microwave in the kitchen were filled with eggs and the final straw is when i saw two in our bed. By this point it was too late to switch rooms and too much of a hassle so we stuck it out for the 3 more days we were going to be there.Plus, we were in and out of the place so much we figured it wasnt worth it to switch and complain and waste our vacation time with management.
Again, if that problem (pretty big problem) is alleviated then for sure i would recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NYCGuy1124
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for your glowing review of the Kihei Akahi grounds, location, and amenities, but I am sad to hear that you found bugs. Our company manages many vacation rentals at the Kihei Akahi, but does not manage the particular one you stayed at, so we cannot send exterminators to the condo (if you wouldn’t mind letting your condo management company know of the issue, I am sure they will have the condo prepared for the next guest). Lastly, the Kihei Akahi does schedule regular sprayings of all the condos every three months to try and keep any bug issues to a minimum. We hope you choose to give the Kihei Akahi another try in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay here because it was affordable, and the ocean was right across the street. We were very satisfied with the condo. It had everything we needed including a partial ocean view. We spent every morning and most nights on the lanai. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Ang M
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank you for your review of Kihei Akahi. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the condos our property management company manages, but glad you had a great stay. The central location in Kihei and close proximity to the beach make this a great resort for walking around Kihei and exploring top beaches, restaurants, and shopping.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Upon my arrival I was notified by the owner that the washing machine had troubles. That you needed to trip a circuit to get it running again. I said thank you to the owner for letting me know. When I arrived at this condo at Kihei Akahi the washing machine was not working. I tripped the circuit and than it worked for the remainder of my 4 week stay at this condo. The actual problem was the dryer. Once opening it smelled after gas, made a very loud noise when running and did not turn off at end of cycle. The owner apologized at agreed to reimburse me $590.00 for the time occupying this unit. 2 weeks after arriving home I receive an email, that she will only refund me $39.00 because I left the unit in "filth". I need mention that one hour prior to my departure I met with her cleaning man and asked if everything was to the specifications of departure. He viewed the unit and said yes. I had loaded the dishwasher, removed all trash, swept living/kitchen area, removed all linens and placed in pile. While this condo was in a fabulous location in Kihei and run very well I would not suggest you stay with this owner.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank grobby2013
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

I am sorry to hear that you had a poor experience working with the owner of this particular condo. I hope it does not alter your opinion of the Kihei Akahi property as a whole. Many condos on Maui are managed by professional management companies that are required to comply with strict Government licensing and regulatory mandates that afford visitors a greater degree of consumer protection. Many are also members of the Better Business Bureau and the local chamber of commerce. When dealing with a private owner you may be susceptible to their unique policies. We hope you give Kihei Akahi another try on a return visit!

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Maui is an incredible island, you are close to the beach here and you have great snorkeling places close by - so the island itself makes any stay good by itself, though this condo only took away from the experience.
Looking backwards I would have probably stayed all the time in Lahaina, I decided to spend a few days in Kihei to reduce the distance from Haleakala/the road to Hana, but the whole vibe of the town and the place are not worth it, better to drive 30mins more and stay in a nicer place.

To start with I booked this place as it was the cheapest option in this part of the island, taking advantage of a non-refundable 120$ per night (tax excluded) deal that seemed a great deal... to discover the day after that they send you a mail with a list of 170$ in extra fees to be paid for 2 days, including a dubious 'reservation fee' (I had booked through Booking.com) - so you either have the choice to lose money by cancelling the reservation or lose more by staying.

Once we arrive at the place (at 12) even before 'Hello' or 'Welcome' the person at the reception says 'You're too early'... to finally find out the room was actually ready, and we just wanted to drop the bags anyway.. nice welcoming...

Finally, the structure is quite old and not well maintained, we were woken up by the fridge that was making random noises in the middle of the night, the bath tub was clogged..

All in all a horrible stay - you really have the feeling of being exploited to the last penny and being in a place without any passion for their job or their customers, but rather just looking for ways to squeeze as much money as they can from visitors.
Definitely forget about the 'aloha spirit' if you decide to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PG832013
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you for your review of Kihei Akahi. I am sorry that you felt mislead with your experience booking a condo through Booking.com. We just tried making a sample booking on the site and it appeared to correctly list the accurate taxes and cleaning fees throughout the booking. We will check with Booking.com to assure the confirmation email they send mentions a check-in time of 3pm, so no future guests arrive at the front desk too early. We want to assure that every guest to the Kihei Akahi has a pleasant stay from the moment they arrive.
As for the loud fridge, I am sorry you were woken up. We have sent a maintenance person to investigate it so no future guest will be disturbed. I wish you would have let us know during your stay so we could have sent a person to fix it immediately.

Mahalo