“Great crew and dive but equipment needs replacing”

Makena Coast Dive Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Scuba Diving, Scuba Boat Charters, Kihei, Wailea, Lahaina, Molokini, Humpback Whales, Dolphins, Underwater Photography & Video classes PADI Daily from Kihei Small Boat Harbor
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great crew and dive but equipment needs replacing”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am an experienced diver but not experienced enough that I would want to own all my own equipment (or travel with it for that matter). Overall, the experience with the Makena crew was awesome. Beha was amazing and incredibly knowledgeable about diving, sea life and hearing his travels all over the world was fascinating. They were very respectful, responsible and I felt comfortable the moment I stepped on board. However, at the end of my first dive my regulator AND back up failed, I had to share with my dive master. I handled the situation incredibly calm (surprisingly) and was able to go down again no problem. The equipment needs to be replaced as someone can get very hurt and if I didnt know what I was doing this could have caused a much bigger issue 50' under. Safety is first and the companies I trust to dive with must have this as their first priority. i would definitely dive with the company again mainly because of the crew.

Visited August 2014
MauiCaptain, Owner at Makena Coast Dive Charters, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
The failure of your regulator was the pressure gauge stating there was still air in the tank when there was not. We fully understand your concern and agree the gauge needs replacing. I have contacted the company that manufactures the gauges with the problem. Thank you for handling the situation safely. We have not seen a gauge malfunction in some years. The gauges did more often years ago. Inspection of the gauge before diving is the only way to know if it working properly. (Checking to see if it is at zero when no pressure is on and that the gauge matches other gauges when pressure is turned on. This gauge did not malfunction before this dive, however we will inspect the gauges more closely and also include it in our briefing. We agree gauge needs to be replaced . Because you knew doing ( as all trained divers should be) we are glad you are OK. We agree safety is first . The gauge will be replaced. And we offer a free dive trip with your next trip to Maui and apologize for the problem, it has been corrected.

Houston, Texas
“First class crew, but bring your own equipment!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Small groups, knowledgeable dive masters, safety is first, and friendly environment. However, rental gear is old and needs to be replaced. Not that I am a picky diver, but compared to most "high quality" dive shops, gear is horrible. A girl in our group had to return to the boat due to a bad mask, my regulator hose had a leak, and the regulator was not very comfortable. BC hose also had a small leak.

Visited August 2014
MauiCaptain, Owner at Makena Coast Dive Charters, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
As was said
small groups, knowledgeable dive masters, safety is first, and friendly environment. We go through equipment on a daily basis. The girl with bad mask was her own, and we do suggest bringing your mask. Our dive briefing includes checking for leaks, a scuba tank is 3000 psi and leaks sometimes happen. , We also state if you are not comfortable with a regulator we will change it. Checking gear begins with the crew however the final check before diving is the divers responsibility. We offer a free trip to this reviewer and help them with check list for inspecting the equipment before the dive. The equipment is used daily so we apologize when a leak happens.
Davis, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent diving”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My son (12 years old) and I are novice divers. Our 4 dives with Makena were our 7-10th dives. Our previous dives were shore dives, so this was our first experience on a boat dive.

I appreciated the careful questioning when we booked our dives. Steve (the owner) asked good questions to ensure that the dive would be appropriate for us. We booked two days of diving. Benja was our dive master. He did a very good job explaining the procedures and was sensitive to our experience level. They picked four excellent dives, two at Molokini (mid reef) and two wreck dives (St Anthony and WWII Tank and Landing Craft).

Benja did a very good job pointing out sights and being attentive to us during the dive. He was very balanced keeping an eye on us - I felt safe without being smothered.

There were a ton of choices when I was researching who to dive with. I chose Makena Coast Divers because a majority of the reviews I found indicated they had excellent staff. My experience confirmed what I had read.

While not unique to Makena Coast Divers, I did appreciate launching out of Kihei. We didn't spend a lot of time motoring to and from the dive sites.

Visited July 2014
MauiCaptain, Owner at Makena Coast Dive Charters, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you so much for diving with Makena Coast Dive Charters, Aloha and hope to see you again soon on Maui.
Wichita, Kansas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Newest diver to most experienced. WONDERFUL GROUP!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our confidence in this company began with a phone call a month ago when we booked our trip. They did not just jump right in and book us. They asked us many questions and got to know us before recommending a dive schedule. We are VERY new divers and went with Makena Coast this morning to Molokini Crater and Puuola'i (Red Hill). UNBELIEVABLY awesome! Johnny (Captain), Benha, and Michael were SO helpful, patient, and knowledgable. We were in a very mixed experience group of divers (us being the newest) - no one got left behind yet the most experienced of us were not bored waiting on us newer divers. The dive sights were perfectly chosen and expertly guided. They gave us gentle hints and encouragement along the way and we are now officially hooked (line and sinker too) on scuba for life. THANK YOU MAKENA COAST!!!!! We will book with them again, and again, and again...

Visited June 2014
Thank you so much for diving with Makena Coast Dive Charters, all the best on your future diving. Hope to see you again soon on Maui.
Henderson, Nevada
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Good choice for experienced divers”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I have 100+ dives and have been on many dive boats. This is a good choice for someone more comfortable doing boat dives. It's size means you probably won't have more than 10 or so divers which is nice. No matter which company you choose it's always a gamble as to what your dive leader will be like. Our dive leader Michael was great . . . we had him as a dive leader with another company last year as well. Small world! As a group we discussed where we would like to do our second dive. I like the laid back attitude. Some divers may feel more comfortable having every move watched and choreographed by the staff but I don't. If you want your hand held you should probably go with another company. The only suggestion for the boat is to have some grip tape applied on the ladder handles - had a hard time getting out of the water.

If you plan on going to Molikini crater or the St. Anthony wreck this company is a nice choice because you leave out of Kihei at the small boat ramp (which you can't miss). I'm guessing this shaves about 30 minutes of nauseating boat time than if you leave out of Maalea harbor with some of the other dive companies.

Visited June 2014
Thank you so much for diving with Makena Coast Dive Charters, Aloha see you on your next trip to Maui,