“Nice place, except ...”

Hale Hui Kai Condominium
Ranked #23 of 60 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed 27 July 2006

I thought our condo here was fantastic. It had been fully remodeled plus they kept many of the family touches & reminders from when it was a primary residence. We have really no complaints of the individual unit, we loved the condo itself.

I would NOT recommend this as a romantic retreat. We were married in Maui during the middle of our stay & regret staying at this complex for such a romantic event.

You are not allowed to do laudry after 8:00 (IMO the best time to do it), so we lost a WHOLE day doing laudry. It is VERY quite here, I felt like an intruder the entire time & whispered when talking to my husband or on the phone. There were what looked like full time residents that gave us dirty looks when we went downstairs to (quietly) enjoy the view. We were woke up every morning about 4-5 a.m. by children running, screaming or crying.

The worst thing is you cannot leave your balcony doors open here because of a problem with theft (& if you've never been to Hawaii before, this is a problem everywhere). We had to keep the place locked down tight (hope you didn't want to hear the ocean at night). Oh, and don't leave your shoes (or anything else for that matter) outside the door, my husband's disappeared one night.

If you do like to turn in early (around 8-9) and like to get up early (about 4-5), this would be a perfect place to stay. I can't imagine staying in Kihei, it's so busy & 'touristy'. The beach here has the softest sand I've ever felt in my life & is a beautiful red. The sunsets are fantastic & there's a small reef just offshore here so you can snorkel right from the beach. We even saw two whales here from the balcony even though it was May & they should've all been gone.

All in all this is an absolute wonderful find, but I want people to know what they are getting into before they stay here. Relaxing, yes . . . Romantic, definitely not. Remember, you can hear EVERYTHING you're neighbors are doing (I could even hear lighters flick in the next condo over) & vice versa.

One other thing, if you have an absolute roach phobia, stay in a hotel. They have more aggressive means to getting rid of them. I only seen one (who I bagged up & sent down the garbage chute) but I guess that's just part of life in the tropics. Keep all your food in the mircrowave or fridge & keep the place CLEAN (because if you make a mess, the ants WILL come.)

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ChiggrBear

Reviewed 10 May 2006

We stayed here in Oct 2005 for a week. It was our third visit. The location is great for travel. Parking is private but tight. Management is very helpful and friendly. The beach is off the main patio. The sunsets are magical. The condos are dated but clean and functional. The only problem encountered every year is the louvres or wood slats for bedroom walls. There is no way to close the walls tightly from winds or sounds. Every night some baby or child started screaming at about 2-4 am keeping everyone awake and miserable. Too bad this place does not make it "Children Prohibited" or "No Bad Parents". If you get a condo here, get it on the south side, the north side faces a busy restaurant which includes more noise.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank Rick767
Reviewed 16 January 2006

We will be making our third return trip to the Hale Hui Kai Condominums in February 2006. We appreciate the open floor plan. We love sleeping to the sound of the ocean and the tropics. When sleeping in other Condominiums upon awaking I can't tell the difference between waking up in downtown Minneapolis or on the beaches of Hawaii. The moment I wake up at Hale Hui Kai, I not only hear the ocean but I can smell it too.

The beach is beautiful, quiet, a short walk to shopping and next door to a great restaurant, Sorentos! Martha and her staff are great! They have helped us with dinner reservations and many other vacation plans.

Stayed: February 2004
12  Thank Lorijune
Reviewed 23 June 2005

We had read about this condo in Maui unrevealed, who rated it very highly. The units do not have air conditioning, so all the windows are opened. You can hear everyone, and everyone can hear you. We had a baby cry the whole night on the floor above us for three nights straight. Also, we could hear the noise from the road.

The condo itself was recently renovated, and it is beautiful. Very roomy and confortable. These condos are also right on the beach, which was very nice. We had condo 202, and paid $170. a night. We would most likely not stay here again due to the noise.

32  Thank kristin s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
1 mi away
The Hale Pau Hana
The Hale Pau Hana
#3 of 60 in Kihei

Been to Hale Hui Kai Condominium? Share your experiences!