“Nice place Terrible owners”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kihei
Maui Sugar Beach Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Kihei B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 March 2010

This place is quite nice, close to the beach and affordable. I would highly recommend it if not for the crazy anal retentive owners. We stayed there for a week and got along great with everyone else who stayed there. At the end of our trip we checked out in the morning, but our flight didn't leave till that night, so we continued to travel around with some people we met from the hostel. However upon checking out in the morning we were told that after we check out we were not allowed again back on the property regardless of the fact that we were driving other people from the hostel around and would be dropping them off again later. We were simply tossed away like strangers after giving this place a week of our business. Regardless we had left a couple bags in one of the peoples rooms that we were hanging out with cause we couldn't fit everything in our vehicle for the day. We pick the stuff up later dropped our new friends off said goodbye and left. SImple. Later the next day after we got home, we got a nasty call from the owner saying that we broke the rules and would be charged an extra $25 for storing our stuff in the peoples room and that we were never welcome back there again. The owner also complained that we had turned the place into a party house even though we were never around and were always respectful of everyone else there. Basically if you're going to stay there you can't have any fun you just use it to sleep and then they'll kick you out at then end without so much as a thanks for your business.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
13  Thank sirbeachalot

Reviewed 11 March 2010

First of all this is more of a hotel than a hostel. The place is really quite nice. I stayed with a female friend of mine and we had two different female roommates and both were very cool. I had serious issues with the owner however. She's a control freak. One of our roommates met a young man from Austria or Switzerland...I don't remember which but when she was invited to have drinks with the guy and the other couple a few doors down all hell broke loose. She was making drinks (with everyone's permission) and the owner came by. The owner ordered the young lady out of the room stating it was a clear violation of the rules to be in room that was not yours and that she was not to be in someone else's room period. OK...I get the fact that you would not want roommates bringing back friends to a room you were sharing with other persons but that was over the top and seemed like some kind of weird jealousy thing. The next issue I had was my friend and I were not in Hawaii to hang out at the Hostel. We were up at 5 AM packing the car several times. We wanted to get an early start on the road to Hana for example. The owner took exception to the noise because everyone (including us) sleeps with the windows open. She literally told us to "be quite" in a very nasty tone. How do you make your car quiet? The owner obviously has issues and should not be in the hospitality business because she has some serious anger problems. I felt like if we did not walk on egg shells we were going to get the boot. Not a good or relaxing feeling when you are on vacation. If you are looking for a place to crash this may work out you but I would spent the extra dollars and find something a little less regimented....to the owner...let it go...just let it go....

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
10  Thank thedude95661
Reviewed 23 February 2010

As far as hostels go in Maui SUgar Beach is the best for cleanliness and location. The rooms are adequate, as long as you dont mind sharing your living room with fellow roommates. This makes it awkward if you are early risers and want to have breakfast before you head out as the rooms are shared units(expected with a hostel) but the guests actually stay in the living room of the open concept suites so you cant use the kitchen if they are sleeping.
The location is very central and easy to find and get everywhere you need to. The owner is a little on the testy side, lots of rules and notes everywhere reminding you what NOT to do. SHe does her daily and nightly guard like rounds and doesnt mind interupting your time to remind you of her rules. That kind of takes away from the relaxtion and "getaway from it all" feeling.
Overall not a bad place to stay if your travelling solo or as a couple on a budget. I wouldnt exactly say its the best eal in town or anything but fit our needs for sleeping well enough.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank daisygirl023
Reviewed 16 December 2009

I looked on the Internet for a place to stay while I explored the island of Maui, and found the Sugar Beach Inn. I spent a week there and found it the ideal place to stay; more rewarding than I could have imagined. I met wonderful people there from many corners of the world, some of whom I hope to see again in my travels..

The inn was unlike any hostel I have ever visited. It was neat, clean, quiet, and very comfortable. I felt more like I was a guest in a friend's home, rather than in a rented room. The innkeeper went above and beyond the call of duty to make the guests feel welcome. I wish I was back there right now!

2  Thank AnotherBeautifulDay
Reviewed 8 December 2009

I had a fantastic stay at the Maui Sugar Beach Inn. It was cheap, clean and a ton of fun. I met a bunch of cool people and hung out with them around the pool, had a barbecue, played some ping pong, all around a great time was had. Tracy was the perfect hostess. I would definitely recommend the Maui Sugar Beach Inn to anyone traveling on a budget, or just looking to stay somewhere that's down to earth where you'll meet some cool people and have a good time.

1  Thank garetheaves
Reviewed 5 December 2009

For my 54th birthday, I decided on a whim, to go to Hawaii as I had never been there before and I picked Maui. Since I was wanting the sun and a beach full time, I did not want to spend a fortune on a fancy hotel, just wanted a reasonable place to sleep and shower.

The first place that popped up on my computer was the "Maui Sugar Beach Inn" in Kihei.
I called and spoke to the proprietor and she explained her inn was a hostel for an adult
populace and she had ground rules which seemed reasonable and appropriate to keep things manageable and on the quieter side. I booked a single bed in a room for two and was told I would be sharing with one of two females. OK!! Sounds great and the bonus! Only 39.00 a night.

I arrived in the evening and to my great delight, the beach with waves right across the street! The Inn and it's impeccable landscaping and the warm greeting of the owner releaved any anxiety I had as to the quality of the place.

My roomie, another retired woman traveling alone was wonderful and we became instant friends. Our accommodations - modesty updated and very clean, totally put me at ease and I knew this was one of my better decisions!

Throughout that evening and next day, younger, educated adults from Germany, Ireland, Australia, Iceland and Canada gathered at the hostel and much to my complete surprise, the owner and her assistant actually planned a dinner party in honor of my birthday on the deck which will go down as one of my best birthdays ever! A deck full of strangers from all over the planet sitting down over a splendid meal and wine and we all laughed an shared stories until late..

The owner, in addition to running a tight ship here is very helpful and knowledgeable about all of the things to do and see in Maui and I will return there again and again!

2  Thank DJBLUtravels
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We had a wonderful time when we were at Maui SugarBeach Inn. Tracy, one of the owners were very friendly and would do the very very best to get you a good stay.
Our room was very nice, clean and with A/C, tv and dvd. We did share our bathroom with another room, but that was so OK. The bathroom was always clean and we got lots of towels.

As my husband and I made our own breakfast , was it PERFECT to have this fully equipped kitchen provided for us. We also shared this with antoher couple, but that was so ok. If you needed to was your towels, cloths etc. there were a washing machine there as well, perfect.

Maui Sugar Inn is a perfect little place to stay at, its in a nice neighbourhood, not so far from restaurants, beach etc. There´s a pool as well. So what more can I say, you just have to book your stay and explore lovely Maui!

Idamarie and Frank, Sweden

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Iddis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Mana Kai Maui
Mana Kai Maui
#3 of 62 in Kihei
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Maui Sugar Beach Inn? Share your experiences!