“Kihei Kai, Unit 12 - An affordable Maui getaway on the beach”

Kihei Kai Oceanfront Condos
Ranked #7 of 61 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I actually live in Maui - but away from the ocean. When I heard about Charlotte and Chip's special introductory rate for their newly reappointed condo at Kihei Kai, my girlfriend and I jumped at a chance to have a quick getaway on the beach.

First, a bit of "local info": Kihei is more developed than most other parts of Maui, but this end of Kihei is very close to a big wildlife sanctuary. The beaches here are very quiet, and vacation rentals here are FAR less expensive than the more upscale resorts at Wailea and Kaanapali. While Kihei's large condo developments may not be that attractive from the street, the ocean side of many of these places is truly spectacular. Such is the case with Kihei Kai. With a sandy beach, views of the West Maui Mountains, lush tropical plantings, manicured lawns, lounge chairs, gas grills, etc, it's very easy to forget that streetside parking lot.

Be aware that the interiors of individual condos may vary widely. Kihei Kai's Unit 12, however, was fabulous - (and not managed by Kihei Kai, so don't call them about this rental.) Charlotte and Chip turned their second-story, one-bedroom rental into a posh and cozy retreat. They've equipped #12 with granite counters, stainless kitchen appliances, new carpeting, WIFI, an HD flatscreen with Blueray player, free long distance calling (there are cordless phones in the livingroom and bedroom), and a brand new king-size bed with a superb mattress. Their balcony/lanai features a wrought iron table and chairs AND a very nice outdoor recliner which, I'm happy to report, was a perfect accessory for napping to the sound of ocean waves.

We had a great time. Everything in Unit 12 was brand new and beautiful. The (full) kitchen had all the amenities necessary to prepare everything from a good cup of coffee to a fresh-caught Ahi filet. Add a comfy couch, big flatscreen and a huge, comfortable bed, and you've got a great oceanside getaway at cheap hotel rates. A steal. We'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dicktmaui

Reviewed 24 October 2010

Kihei Kai is a collection of individually owned condos. Some are dated and may not be managed very well, but others (like the one we stayed in) are remodeled quite elegantly and managed by really nice, conscientious people. I think that explains why the reviews here are so different. I can only speak for the unit, number 12, that I have experienced: My husband and I stayed here and loved it. It's very quiet and the soothing sounds of the ocean can be heard from the bedroom, living room and lanai (covered balcony). We enjoyed the pool, BBQ on the beach, ocean views from both sides of the condo, and especially being able to just step outside to snorkel or take a walk along the shore. We walked to the north, which quickly becomes undeveloped, wild shoreline. There are few people on the beach at this end of Kihei. It's very peaceful and private. Kihei Kai is small and friendly, nicely landscaped, and centrally located for easy access to all of Maui's many activities. We really liked the classy and comfortable Hawaiian decor in this newly remodeled unit. We found it immaculately clean. The condo is beautifully decorated and was obviously renovated with care. It feels luxurious with the high end furniture, fixtures and equipment. We cooked most of our meals in the well equipped kitchen and ate on the lanai watching the sun set over the ocean, and saved a boatload on restaurants. The bed is sooooo comfortable. The blu-ray DVD we watched on the high-def TV was a nice surprise; I didn't realize it would make such a difference. The snorkeling and other beach gear really come in handy. The owners, Charlotte and Chip, are very pleasant and helpful. They really do pay attention to detail. They thought of everything and it all really helped make our vacation go smoothly and easily. Their knowledge of the area is vast and their enthusiasm infectious. I thought it was excellent value for the very affordable price. We will definitely be back and would recommend this place to anyone who can climb one flight of stairs.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We have had the priveledge of staying at the Kihei Kai for several years now. We stay in the same unit each time and enjoy the company of several of the same people every year.
The complex is small, clean, right on the beach and very friendly. We enjoy long walks on the beach, potluck dinners, and dancing in the moonlight together.
Hats off to the owners and managers at Kihei Kai and thanks for sharing your homes with us!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

This is a perfect hotel alternative!
This place is right on the beach, and has a bbq/dining area facing the ocean! Can't beat eating freshly caught grilled fish, drinking a few brews, and watching the sunset!
Our room was cute and had everything we needed while staying here including wifi!
Managers were super helpful, and had impeccable dining recommendations!
Will be back hopefully sooner then later!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GMaxG
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I've stayed at the Kihei Kai several times, and was disappointed and disgusted this time. Lowlights include:

* The office was open for about 30 minutes in the morning on maybe 5 days during our two week stay
*The dishes in the cupboards had dried food on them! I had to soak them before I could clean the food off (not just on one or two dishes - all the bowls, plates, pans, silverware, and the cutting board!)
* The managers (who are supposed to live on the grounds in a condo above the office) have moved to a different location. They left their two adorable cats at the condo. There was a guy who came to feed them every other night, but we saw several other cats as well as birds eating their food.
*The woman in the office was very snotty when we asked her about the internet connection (and raised her voice to talk over us - RUDE!)
*The pool wasn't clean

The next time I'm in Maui, I'll be staying elsewhere - probably right next door.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2010

This is a quaint 22 unit complex. Only two condos are ocean front; the remainder have somewhat limited views. My wife and I enjoyed the small community atmosphere and stayed at these condos for many of the last 20 years. Unfortunately management has changed and for the worse. Some examples:
The managers no longer live at the complex. The office is open about an hour in the morning if they feel like coming in at all.

The pool was cleaned only once during our two week stay. At one point you couldn't even see the turtle mosaic in three feet of water.

The condo offers internet access. When I tried to connect there was no signal. I traced the problem to a frayed ethernet cable. When I went to the office (the next morning of course), I was told that the internet wasn't the manager's responsibility and I would have to call the cable company and wait for them to repair the issue. I bought an ethernet cable myself and solved the problem.

Our living room had six dead two-inch cockroaches in front of the slider when we checked in.

The lawnchairs were left in whatever position the guests or wind left them. They were never cleaned or tidied.

The bbq ran out of propane, but since the managers are no longer on site they had no way of knowing.

For about $20 a night more, you can have a stay in a complex with clean units and resident managers. We will not be back until these managers leave and I have evidence of real improvement!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2009

My wife and I have stayed here 7 times. It is right on the beach and some units have water views. A/C in all the bedrooms and some units have in family room too. I'd recommend a 2nd floor unit. The complex is an older one; some units are remodeled, some are not, ask when making a reservation. We like to do lots of activities on various parts of the island. Kihei Kai's central location is ideal for this. Rates are very reasonable and having a kitchen makes eating in, easy and economical - there are also 2 gas grills by the beach. Everyone has always been very friendly and many that stay there have been doing so for years.
It's right on the beach and I have had ants in the kitchen on some stays. It wasn't a huge problem and was always promptly taken care of by the managers (husband and wife that live in one of the units). If you want a decent condo, with a kitchen, right on the beach, centrally located, I recommend it. We've stayed there 7 times and will continue to go back.
The beach is good for kids - small waves and a shallow grade. There is a pool, but it's quite small - of course the ocean is right there, and it's plenty big :).
Wi-fi from neighboring places is sometimes usable. On our last visit (Dec '08), all units had wired internet - I brought an Airport express and family members in 2 other units were able to use the wi-fi too.
If this sounds like what you are looking for, you'll be happy with Kihei Kai.
If you need a high end, nice hotel experience, Kihei Kai is not for you.
If you like to sit on the beach all day with a drink and get waited on, I'd recommend a nice beachfront hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple